Duel Wield + Weapon Skill.

Hey guys.

Been pondering over this for a while now. I'm on my 3rd toon with Duel Wields but this time I haven't given it the weapon skill to back it up. With the previous 2 builds(Inquisitor + SW) I kept duel wield and sword weapons at level. This time its a seraphim... and I've chosen not to put any points into sword weapons this time.

The main problem is I feel she's not doing as much damage with the weapons as she should be(obviously from the missing attack value from sword weaps) + the item level without penalty for her onhand weap.

To explain the build a bit. She's an experiment. I'm pretending Revered Technology doesn't exist. So to start she's very Exalted Warrior and later in the build shes gonna be strong CM.

Currently only level 22. Won't take me long to change that though. Basically I'm asking you experienced boffs... would you chuck in the sword weaps skill too for the extra attack value and item level without penalty increase(for the onhand)?

I used Tactics Lore to open up Duel Wields, ive left it back at level 6, would increasing this make up for the missing sword weaps?

Cheers for any response,

FaLLa

Edited by FaLLa

If you are dual wielding then you won't even get the +attack, higher level without penalty, or attack speed from the sword weapon mod. That will all be based on how many points are in Dual Wield. The only reason to get Sword Weapons would be to unlock the sword weapon mods that are on certain swords.

LLama correct me if I'm wrong here (lol) but if you have only Dual Wield and you eqiup a single sword, you will be penalized based on the sword's level, but if you equip a second weapon of any kind, you will then be dual wielding and you can then equip higher level weapons based on the points in Dual Wield? I'm pretty sure that's how it works...

If you are dual wielding then you won't even get the +attack, higher level without penalty, or attack speed from the sword weapon mod. That will all be based on how many points are in Dual Wield. The only reason to get Sword Weapons would be to unlock the sword weapon mods that are on certain swords.

LLama correct me if I'm wrong here (lol) but if you have only Dual Wield and you eqiup a single sword, you will be penalized based on the sword's level, but if you equip a second weapon of any kind, you will then be dual wielding and you can then equip higher level weapons based on the points in Dual Wield? I'm pretty sure that's how it works...

With the Inquisitor, since he cannot use shields, it is a natural to use Dual Wield. However you first have to unlock it by putting five skill points into one of the weapon skills first. I think you can get around that restriction with other characters by getting Tactics Lore first. Anyway, I find that dual wielding a weapon with fire socketed and a weapon with ice socketed gives lots of damage without having to switch weapons based on opponent. I think adding damage lore will also increase the amount of damage done.

Sweet! Thats how I was hoping it would work :)

The reason I asked is because I looked at the details of a level 24 weap(im level 22) and it was telling me it would decrease attack speed by whatever% even though duel wield says item level without penalty 27. Just wanted to check this figure wasnt JUST for the offhand weapon and it did overwrite it once a second was equipped....

All makes sense now, thnx rhs!

Damnit tho means I wasted a skill points with those other two builds :/

:(

FaLLa

I think for sword modifiers, even if you add the Sword Lore skill also you need to pump it up to get any real bonus. My friend dual wields with 2 Boneslicers with a level 75 sword lore and has a very nice Chance to disreguard armor %, he also had Dual Wield in mastery. It might be worth it if your going pure melee and weapon based arts, but if your mixing your build up with some spells etc then it might become difficult to manage.

With out dw and a weapon skill you will do less damage and have a lower attack value.Picking dw and sword weapons is never a bad choice,having both gives you alot of deadly options.If you wanted to use a 2 handed sword for a while you would have that option as well.Look at the list of three star swords and tell me having the sword skill with duel wield is not a good choice.

With out dw and a weapon skill you will do less damage and have a lower attack value.Picking dw and sword weapons is never a bad choice,having both gives you alot of deadly options.If you wanted to use a 2 handed sword for a while you would have that option as well.Look at the list of three star swords and tell me having the sword skill with duel wield is not a good choice.

Actually no, they don't stack so you won't get a higher bonus from using both and the attack speed doesn't stack so no increase in the DPS. The second half I agree with. It provides for a wide and varied play style. When you get bored with your dual wielding frenzy you can equip up some heavy LL% swords and really smash some baddies up. But, not being as specialized and spreading yourself out might eventually lead to lower damage, but definitely a fun character to play :)

Actually no, they don't stack so you won't get a higher bonus from using both and the attack speed doesn't stack so no increase in the DPS. The second half I agree with. It provides for a wide and varied play style. When you get bored with your dual wielding frenzy you can equip up some heavy LL% swords and really smash some baddies up. But, not being as specialized and spreading yourself out might eventually lead to lower damage, but definitely a fun character to play :thumbsup:

You get the sword weapons modifier on swords and depending on the sword YES you will deal more damage and have higher attack and defense.I duel wield quetzal's first strike swords with duel wield and sword weapons both mastered.I know you get the attack speed bump for one not both.The wounding effects stacked with elemental damage= mass destruction.

If you want the attack value to increase, Speed lore and any other weapon skill will stack. So you can have duel wield and speed lore and hit often. Speed lore is a highly overlooked skill, you get a higher run speed and a boost to your defense value. I would be inclined to take damage lore over sword weapons to get the additional effects that you want like: freeze, wound, death blow, burn, etc.

Edited by gasbomb129