Game won't go further than "Setup Managers"

I've been searching around the forum and I haven't seen anybody with such a problem...

The game has been working fine for so long with Ice and Blood latest patch till yesterday night, when after exiting the game, I got an error, I can't remember what was about because I didn't give it much importance at the moment... And since then, the game won't go further than the "setup managers" part at the loading screen, it just CTD (crashes to desktop).

I have tried reinstalling, but after installing just S2FA, without patches even, it's still doing it...

I guess it must be related to drivers then, but without me changing anything soft or hard from the computer... it's very confusing.

I've got an ATI graphic card, so never had any PhysX issues... only the 1.5GB memory leak CDT... In fact yesterday night I had a few and it got me thinking it might be related... that's why I opted for reinstalling so early.

Hope someone can toss some insight over here ^^.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I forgot to mention... I'm under Windows XP with SP3 installed... again, never had the slightest problem till yesterday night...

Edited by zalioth

I don't have a quick solution for you unfortunately as I have not heard of this problem before.

But some suggestions that are easy to try while waiting for another response.

Try using the Sacred 2 Cleanup Utility

I would uninstall the latest video drivers and download and install the latest from ATI.

If you uninstall the game again make sure you deactivate the game when prompted. Also I would use a registry cleaner of some sort to be sure all traces of your previous install are removed.

Have a read of this thread. It might be of some help.

Sorry I cannot be of more help at this stage.

Thanks for your answer stubble.

So far I've opted to reinstall the whole windows (it had been asking for it for a while anyway) while I was studying for an exam anyway... stupid prolog lol.

I'm gonna get the latest Catalysts for my ATI RADEON HD 4600 AGP (the 10.8), although in the sacred2 forums I've read the latest that work with sacred 2 are the 10.5...

Anyway, hopefully soon it all be working again.

Thanks again ^^.

I'll report any news.

Ok, it's working now, at least the version 2.02. I've already started the update process, so I guess soon I will know lol.

Should I update the physX to the latest version anyway? I have it downloaded, so it wouldn't pose much problem...

Last minute DAMN!, lol I've just realised I've installed it in the windows only drive... sigh... time to reinstall it in the programs one lol.

Should I update the physX to the latest version anyway? I have it downloaded, so it wouldn't pose much problem...

Yes zalioth,

You should install the latest physX. I realise that ATI don't use it (I have a HD4870 myself) but I remember seeing posts over in the SIF that recommended you install them anyway for Sacred 2 to work properly.

That is what I have done and my Sacred 2 runs pretty good. I also have XP SP3 btw.

From your latest post it looks like you are having some success :)

Please post if you still are having problems.

Well... If after formatting the windows drive and reinstalling all from scratch I don't get any success my only option left would be to cry like a baby lol.

Yeah, it's fixed now, I did install the latest PhysX anyway (now you confirm I did right), and Furian can prove it did indeed work :).

Thanks a lot for the interest and all the help Stubbie. ^^

Late to the party: But... Perhaps it was a Microsoft O/S patch? If it happens again (and soon) then try rolling back the patches. {I myself haven't got a patch from MS in a while... but people's mileages vary for patches}.

Glad to hear things are on the mend.

Cheers!