Is there is a quicker way of getting the higher difficulties (Niobium etc)

You can edit balance.txt if you play singleplayer or LAN.

I am not at my game machine. Search of a line which has the normal levels: 1,1,60,100,140

Edit: Welcome to the forum BTW

Edit2: corrected gold level

Edited by chattius

Yeah I think on single player you have to play the campaign. The levels don't unlock in single player. If you play multiplayer LAN by yourself it might work to unlock niob. Niob unlocks at 140 in closed net multiplayer. I am guessing it will work in other forms of multiplayer too but I am not sure.

I am getting old, damn I am old. Of cause it is 60 for gold.

balance.txt affects the multiplayer server. But you can play LAN alone on your own machine. Can't remember at the moment if once unlocked the difficulties stay in singleplayer.

done that buts its when it asks me to select one of the saved games that it then says file not found

Thats really odd. I just downloaded it to my work PC and also downloaded schots luckiest man alive savegame file and I opened them just fine. could it be a windows UAC issue?

In SP, simple editing of level requirements is not enough, as the game will not let you start a campaign without completing the previous one. However, there is a workaround for this - once you tweak level requirements to your liking, start a LAN "free" game on desired difficulty. The game remembers last difficulty played, and "completed campaign" restrictions seem to apply only to choosing higher difficulties, not actually playing one. So, once you spend a few seconds in LAN niobium game, your character is locked to niobium by default, even though "difficulty selection" window on char selection screen is left blank. I used this trick to totally skip Gold, moving into platinum directly from silver.

One thing to remember is that should you play a different char for a while, the difficulty will reset to the last one played; repeat the LAN trick to solve this.

Have fun :D