Is my Console about to die?

I have been playing the heck out of sacred of late. It might have taken its toll on my Ps3. I bought it less then a year ago and have not had any problems until last sunday. I started the system and two minutes later it shut off. The red light power button kept flashing. I stewed for awhile and tried again and it worked. I basically thought it was a freak thing but then it happened again last night. I decided to give the system a rest and will try again today.

Has something like this ever happened to anyone? Is there anyway I can back up the countless gear and time I have put into my Sacred characters? I hate the thought of losing it all. I can't seem to find a place to put a USB cable in the system. My main question though is do you think I should just stay away from the system? I am sorry I know this is not exactly Sacred content but I know many people who visit this site know their tech and are informative people.

I'd say this is worth a shot: RLOD

My PS3 gave in within the warranty period and I think it was because 'em dust bunnies found some oysters in the fridge... The hard drive just caved in without much warning. But when I started my expert D.I.Y. open-the-console-and-stare routine, I noticed that there was a lot more dust gathered than I ever imagined possible! Which reminds me... *now where's my screwdriver and dustbuster?* :D

I've had the red-flashing power button...uhm... how many times... 4 I think. One within the warranty and 3 times I've paid for repair. ONCE I got a person on the phone at Sony who seemed to have half a brain, and I am pretty sure it is heat issues every time, definitely a common problem and not really Sacred's fault (except to make you play for XXX hours a day :thumbsup:

I never risked breaking the warranty seal (to open the machine), because if the repair team wants to, they can refuse service based on that alone. BUT, dustbunnies could be your main culprit, so that is a decision to be made yourself.

Has something like this ever happened to anyone? Is there anyway I can back up the countless gear and time I have put into my Sacred characters? I hate the thought of losing it all. I can't seem to find a place to put a USB cable in the system. My main question though is do you think I should just stay away from the system? I am sorry I know this is not exactly Sacred content but I know many people who visit this site know their tech and are informative people.

The USB is the place where you plug in your controller. You can back up your Sacred data onto an external device, but you will be cut-off from trading online... but that may be a small price compared to what you will lose. Personally, I never cared enough about 1's and 0's to backup my data.

I've had the red-flashing power button...uhm... how many times... 4 I think. One within the warranty and 3 times I've paid for repair. ONCE I got a person on the phone at Sony who seemed to have half a brain, and I am pretty sure it is heat issues every time, definitely a common problem and not really Sacred's fault (except to make you play for XXX hours a day :thumbsup:

I never risked breaking the warranty seal (to open the machine), because if the repair team wants to, they can refuse service based on that alone. BUT, dustbunnies could be your main culprit, so that is a decision to be made yourself.

The USB is the place where you plug in your controller. You can back up your Sacred data onto an external device, but you will be cut-off from trading online... but that may be a small price compared to what you will lose. Personally, I never cared enough about 1's and 0's to backup my data.

Thanks for the reply. Imagine losing every character and game you have played for the past year, you want to save it if at all possible. I have read about this site called "gophermods" Has anyone here ever used it? Do you know if it would be possible to send my system to them so I can save my data and at the same time extending my warranty with Sony in case of any future problems?