Quite literally stuck on the Ice Phoenix

Gordius

When I try to kill the Ice Phoenix (Crystal Plains) with my High Elf everything goes well until I start to attack the Phoenix itself. I clear away its Ice Guardians, destroy the four statues (I read they are life leech?) but then disaster. I play hit and run, a couple of shots with Cobalt Strike / Glacial Thorns Combo (regen is a bit faster than animation) then run a bit before the next shot. The Phoenix casts some kind of spell which drags me across the ground until I am standing at his feet. When I get to his feet I cannot move, my only answer so far is to teleport out because not even CAs work. Am I frozen, trapped or is it a bug? Any ideas what I should do? I will keep trying and hope to avoid the spell which drags me to his feet but this thing is driving me crazy so any comments very much appreciated.

Edit:

Funny thing, the first time I tried again after posting I killed it. Here is how, maybe it will help someone else. Sort of a mini guide if you like.

When you reach the square platform where the Phoenix is take note of the Frost Guardians all around him, at this point they look like ice sculptures. Talk to the Phoenix and the fight begins. It casts something like Meteor Storm but is ice falling from the sky rather than fire which is followed a few seconds later by a Dragon Strike which is similar to that of the Dragon Mage but causes ice damage, they appear to be a combo.

Run and don't stop! Don't attack the Phoenix, as far as I could tell at this point he is invulnerable. Around him are four Phoenix Statues which appear to be made of ice, you must destroy them first.

Run around just close enough for him to see you and some of his Guardians will "thaw out" and can be killed. Now you will see a new red target on the radar which is one of the ice statues. Destroy the statue and more Guardians will "thaw out", kill them. Now the second statue becomes a target, kill it and more guardians then repeat for all four statues (they are easy to kill). Two of the Phoenix Statues are behind him but look carefully and you can tell when the next Statue is ready to be attacked.

Now the Phoenix should be alone.

More about his CAs. The Ice Shower (IS) causes heavy recurring damage. The Dragon Strike (DS) does the same. Stand still for 10 seconds and he will hit you with both which will mean a fast death unless you bang like crazy on your spacebar so don't stand still. He will also create traps, if you are there for a long time the ground will be full of them. He has a CA which pulls you towards him and freezes you (the freezing thing could be a bug), with my High Elf I managed to escape them on my last attempt by trying to run in the opposite direction and/or using Shadowstep both seem to work as long as you are not close to him, if you get stuck at his feet he will hit you repeatedly with his CAs. My experience, as I said in my first post, was that if I was dragged to his feet I could not move or use any of my CAs, although I escaped by teleporting out rather than watch myself die, after my teleport I was still unable to move or use a CA so I had to relog before trying again.

After many attempts, all of which ended up with escaping by teleport to Multiplayer Island, I accidentally fired off Glacial Thorns while standing behind a small wall where he was out of sight / off screen and to my surprise I heard the sound of them hitting him. I still had to keep moving to avoid his IS and DS but stayed just out of range of his "pull" spell, at the same time shotting off Glacial Thorns. For those who might not know Cobalt Strike needs a target but Glacial Thorns does not so by not using my combo I could hit him while he was off screen. With the four Phoenix Statues gone and the Frost Guardians dead he died very quickly.

He has four types of armour protection but none against Ice. Damage shows as Normal and Magic but I am pretty sure his CAs are ice damage. When I had the problem of being stuck at his feet I didn't see any noticeable physical damage coming from him.

I took some screenshots of the damge types HP etc of the Ice Phoenix (Narmul), some Frost Guardians and one of the Phoenix Statues which I will add here tomorrow when I am less tired if anyone wants to see them.

Edited by locolagarto

I have just got a top-down view using the map a pic of the Frost Guardians, I cna mark the positions of the statues on the top-down pic and the order to "kill" them. Maybe I can write it up in the SacredWiki format when I get time. As I said I have the pics from the Skills Panel showing damage types, HP and so on.

I was very surprised how hard this boss is, the whole region was so easy otherwise.

Edited by Gordius

Some pics, might be more some time.

First, the locations of the four statues. The numbers show the order they must be killed in.

topdown.jpg

Next what you need to kill

Statues

statue.jpg

Frost Guardians

FG2.jpg

FG1.jpg

Narmul

Narmul.jpg