Dragon Mage Build Questions...

Ethyls

Hey guys !

This is my first post on DarkMatters. I've been lurking on these forums for a couple of weeks (which is the time during which I've had Sacred 2 + Ice & Blood).

You've done a great job : there is a HUGE amount of information on everything related to Sacred 2. Since I enjoy grabbing as much information on the games I play, reading you all has been a very pleasurable experience !

In Hack'n'Slash games (and such), I usually play the least played class/the one that's underestimated. That's why I stayed away from the Seraphim and the Shadow Warrior (that, and the fact that I don't really enjoy fighter classes). I've tried all of the other classes, and really loved both the Temple Guardian and the Dragon Mage.

I've had no problem deciding on a TG build, but I had been at a loss what to do with a Dragon Mage until a couple of days ago. I really want to focus on the Elemental Magic tree, mostly because I love the Destroyers. Since I usually play very focused and specialized builds in hack'n'slash games, I plan on choosing expert touch. After all, I'll only use EM CAs.

My problem is : I really want Runes of Protection and maybe the buff Familiar. Runes of Protection, as a... well, protection means, only requires Mentalism Focus. That's not much of a problem. But the Familiar requires Dragon Magic Focus (in order to raise its level) as well as the associated lore (there's no way I'd only take the focus : I'd miss out on a huge HP buff).

Since I want my Dragon Mage to be efficient, I think I will take those skills :

- Ancien Magic : damage !

- Combat Discipline : damage as well as a nice regen bonus/combo opportunities.

- Concentration, since I plan on using two to three buffs (1 point, unless I want to add the protector, but I highly doubt I will)

- Elemental Magic Focus.

- Elemental Magic Lore.

- Armore Lore : way too useful.

- Spell Resistance : I want my DM to be able to do most of (if not all) the things there is to do in Sacred 2, and that includes Ice & Blood.

- Mentalism Focus : for RoP.

Now, there are only two skill choices left. From my point of view, there are three road I could take :

- Shield Lore + Constitution.

- Dragon Magic Focus + Dragon Magic Lore.

- A mix of Dragon Magic Focus + either Shield Lore or Constitution (the worst choice out of the three, I guess).

I think I'll keep the first 8 skills and pour points into them as I see fit anyway(I haven't decided on which I'll master nor in which order, but that's not much of a problem). Those seem pretty solid. But I really don't know which path I should choose as to the last two skills. Which one of my proposals seem to be the best ? Are there others that would turn out to be more efficient ?

If you have an idea, even if you're unsure, I'd appreciate it. Any input will help, I'm sure of it !

Thanks !

Edit : small additions. In case I were to take the Dragon Magic Focus + Lore route, I think I could spend my attribute points in stamina and intelligence only. Vitality wouldn't be needed, since the Familiar already gives a huge bonus to health.

Edited by Ethyls

I would pick Shield + Constitution for more protection. But if you really want Familiar buff, you could take Dragon Magic Focus instead of Combat Discipline (I can't see any useful combos here and regeneration bonus can be covered with Combat Trance).

While I won't be able to help with you build ( I don't play DM's much) I just wanted say hi and welcome to the forums. And thanks for the nice words about our little place :D

We got plenty of DM players and I'm sure they'll answer any questions you got

Well..... Welcome to the forum first off.

Now then, I am far from and expert on the Dragon Mage, but I have ran quite a few. I love the ability to have three aspects in a build. 3-4 of my builds have been this way on some level or another. I've tried all three focus with and without lores some lores without the focus etc. They really do wonderful, I thought my build with three buffs was going to run me into niob... those protectors with a buff suit are awesome.

But so far I don't think any of my Dragon Mages have made it past 113. I believe that Ascaron, in all their wisdom, made the Dragon Mage super powerful if we can find the right combination. Just like the Ice Elf, devestating power but she has weaknesses and can be squishy. So too is the Dragon mage.

I have never in all my builds, and I only play HC Closed-net, used Constitution or Toughness. I have Shadow warriors that can stand in Niobium and ignore everything until they get tired of the gnats and swat them down. With this said I think Constitution is a must. None of my DM's had it and I was always wishing that they had some buff or heal spell or something. Constitution is a must, Toughness I have never taken before but once again the synergy of Armor Lore, Toughness, and Runes of Protection is too great to ignore. Combat Discipline is totally awesome especially once mastered. And I'm not even thinking the -xx% regen times. The combos that the dragon mage can throw down are absolutely wonderful.

I always lead off with Maelstrom modded for

Grind - Further reduces the armour of enemies in the Maelstrom. (physical -50+0.2*level (fixed or %?))

Extension - Maelstrom duration increased. (4s+0.03s*level)

Demoralize - Attributes are further decreased in the Maelstrom. (5.5%+0.1%*level)

As Chattius has posted in the Dragon Mage build section choosing one aspect as your main and the others as debuffers/support is the key.

My current build has Dragon Magic Focus and Lore. for the Familiar buff, Dragon Strike, Eternal fire.

Dragon Strike and Eternal fire are modded for support or debuffs. Most always the dragon strike does the killing anyway its so powerful.

I chose Mentalism for my main aspect. Both Mentalism Focus and Lore the main killer CA are the Mind Strike and Energy Blaze. And as I said Maelstrom leads every combo.

Ancient Magic and Concentration finish off the build.

I will write down the build if you care. So far this combo of skills and choosing CA for the debuffing and stacking them has been the best of all my Dragon Mages.

I am building a new dragon mage so I have not playtested. I think the mods on the familiar buff are bad except the gold mod. It is nice but it takes regeneration. So two ideas. One is remove concentration freeing a skill choice. Only go with runes. This is the route I take. Another route is to use familiar as an unsupported buff. It won't give much life but it will give some. And if you use a buffslot shield and ancrid's you can with very little recharge get 31 CA level (eventually) and a good bit of damage at the cost of very little to you.

I like the first option because the damage provided by the protector is minimal compaired to a geared up tune at the higher levels. By the time you get good gear the protector gets outmoded. 20% physical resistance is good so the second option is compelling.

We'll have to compare notes as our builds progress. Mine is going to be a 135 bargainer if I can get that far!

BTW, I'm not impressed with combat trance. It cannot be kept up at all times so it screws with your timers. I hate when my timers change from fast to slow due to a mod or ability that isn't constant.

My Build:

Bargain - Max

Elemental Lore - 75

Elemental Focus - 75

Mental Focus 31: Runes and Maelstrom

Armor Lore 5

Combat Reflexes 1

Combat Discipline 1

Constitution 75

Shield Lore 1

Ancient Magic 1

Not sure exactly how many points I have by 135 but something like that.

edit: changed my mind and drop CD/AM for concentration Dragon Focus. Due to need for willpower in addition to the damage/fire protection/-regeneration from gold mod and life.

Edited by claudius