Online Image Optimizer

Well I have JonJon to thank for these little finds. In his avatar topic we talked about reducing the filesize of his avatar and even compared results of our efforts to do so. It really got me thinking about the images I'm using to make this forum and the fact that, considering this is a first for me, all the images that make up this forum are probably not optimized. What I mean is that the images are probably no where near as small in filesize as they "could" and definitely should be. That said let me cut to the chase.

Oh and this'll be useful to all of you. Not just designers and such.

While googling info on how best to optimize my images I stumbled across a really cool online application that will reduce your images filesize called GifBot.

GIFBot - (Also works with jpeg and png)

GifBot will allow you to either upload an image from your pc to optimize or you can supply an url to an image online for it to optimize. After that you just hit the "test now" button and in a few secs you are taken to a new page where it supplies you with 12 versions of your image as well as the properties of each such as filesize. The first is your original image and the rest are varrying degrees of optimization. Very convenient. You just pick the one that has the lowest filesize and looks the best and there you have it. Easy peasy optimization.

This is extremely handy for forumers who have never used image editing software:

Say, for example, after registering to a forum you discover that you can't use that really cool avatar of yours because of the filesize limit that said forum has put in place.

Also in the case of uploading in general. Some places that allow you to upload and store images have limits on filesizes.

Oh and here are a couple others I found along the way:

DynamicDrives ImageOptimizer Tool - (gif jpg png)

I go here often to learn HTML tricks. Really effective site.

And to go along with these I found the fllowing online tool that allows you to edit your image in several ways but of them the most useful would be that it can resize an image for you. So again. When an avatars dimensions are larger than a forum allows you can use this tool:

PXN8.com - (gif jpg png)

So I hope some of you will find this useful. Optimize optimize! /crazy

... I think I need a little less time on the internet. lol.

Best optimizer I use is so far Photoshop it self. Just use the "save for web" option. I couldn't get any smaller than that with any other program (without loosing the image quality a lot).

I definitely give a shot for that tool (sometimes next week)

Thanks for the info