New to Sacred 2 MP and have questions

I have been playing Ice and Blood for almost a week now, and I think I am ready to try multiplayer. I have never done any online gaming, so some of these questions may seem rather simple.

I signed in and went to the Lobby. I saw the list of servers, broken out by Campaign, Free World, PvP, and by difficulty. I understand that within a difficulty, the monster level is determined by the first player to join. Is there any way to find that out?

I decided to dip my toe in the water. I created a Seraphim and entered an empty Bronze Campaign server, which lasted about 9 minutes including character generation (it has been a long time since I had a Seraphim that actually had to work for a living). I created another character and tried it again. I played for a while and just before I quit, I had a chat window pop up from another player. So is that how players communicate? Do you have to enter a game to do that, or can you do it from the Lobby?

Is there any etiquette or other things I should be aware of?

TIA

I have been playing Ice and Blood for almost a week now, and I think I am ready to try multiplayer. I have never done any online gaming, so some of these questions may seem rather simple.

I signed in and went to the Lobby. I saw the list of servers, broken out by Campaign, Free World, PvP, and by difficulty. I understand that within a difficulty, the monster level is determined by the first player to join. Is there any way to find that out?

If you're looking at a server that has someone in it, highlight that server, It then will show who is on that server and you will be able to see what level they are. If you are just starting I would suggest not joining a server that was made by anyone. that way the mobs are your level. Or you can create a server and lock it until your comfortable to run with others in server.

I decided to dip my toe in the water. I created a Seraphim and entered an empty Bronze Campaign server, which lasted about 9 minutes including character generation (it has been a long time since I had a Seraphim that actually had to work for a living). I created another character and tried it again. I played for a while and just before I quit, I had a chat window pop up from another player. So is that how players communicate? Yes the chat window will pop up for the communication. if you download and install version 2.65.2 when the chat box opens it will not be "live" ie potion drinking is possible, no death by chat box. Do you have to enter a game to do that, or can you do it from the Lobby? If you see someone you want to communicate with from the lobby, right click on the name, this will pop up a window that will allow you to "whisper" to that character. Now you can communicate to this player when your in the lobby and they are in server. But the player that you whispered to wont be able to respond back unless they have your characters name on friends list also.

Same as being here.

TIA

If you see me in servers send me a whisper and I'll come out to Lobby. Help ya any way I can.

Ohh btw, I'm online now, server name "[D.a.r.k] Making Breakfast" which I am actually doing at the moment. Feel free to join server.

Whisper? :unsure: OK, but even if I shout I doubt you can hear me... ;)

(Couldn't help it, sorry... :biggrin:)

How do I "Whisper"? Will your name appear in the list on the right, or will I have to check the servers?

I have to finish up a quest for the wiki, but I should be on later this afternoon.

Thanks

Edit:

Sorry, I missed your in-text comments, all I saw was the last one.

Edited by lujate

I decided to dip my toe in the water. I created a Seraphim and entered an empty Bronze Campaign server, which lasted about 9 minutes including character generation (it has been a long time since I had a Seraphim that actually had to work for a living). I created another character and tried it again. I played for a while and just before I quit, I had a chat window pop up from another player. So is that how players communicate? Do you have to enter a game to do that, or can you do it from the Lobby?

TIA

Lujate, Furian, I'm going to be following this because I too have never done any online gaming. It will be a while though, I think, for me anyway since I'm completely new to PC.. Thanks for starting the thread.

sarah

Brief Etiquette:

The monsters won't be the level of the server creater. BUT the bugged monsters WILL. Examples are the 10 bandits near the muggers quest and the holdup quest.

Also monsters in the vicinity of character A will spawn to As level. If B enters and is much lower level number one the monster level will go down half and half which will piff A off because he gets less xp. Number two B will probably get killed unless lots of gear.

Usually 1 toon per 'region' such as high elf region or artamark. When you enter say 'hi'. Then say 'is high elf free'. If you don't understand their reply leave the server and try again they might not speak english.

If someone asks 'is X free' say I don't know unless you know it is open. If you are changing regions ask if X is free.

When you enter the server to avoid the bugged enemies, since you probably don't know where they are, you can ask if anyone knows the level of the player that created the server. You can also create your own server to simplify the problem. Probably more people will join if it is 'free'. Don't go in PvP unless you want to PvP.

Chatting: When someone speaks in the chat window temporarily you will go into text. This means you cannot fight the monsters or drink a potion! But you can left click with your mouse somewhere and it will switch back to fight mode until someone speaks again. You'll get used to it.

If you want to chat press enter I think (its automatic pilot for me) and the ability to type your own text occurs. Type it in and press enter again.

To see who is in the room press N. You can party with people and teleport to them with leftclick ctrl (I think) on their portrait which appears when you party. Usually ask someone about this before you do it and only do it if you are close in levels or someone get killed. It also lowers xp which is a stupid feature of sacred 2. Unless your exact same level.

In the lobby you can chat with others in the lobby. Just type something and press enter. To whisper to someone in a game first go to their name in the game room.... search around for THAT. Then I think it gives a menu or maybe right click I forget and you can make that person a buddy. Then go to your buddy list and whisper them. It will put in the code to whisper (or you can memorize this code..eh can't be bothered) and you type in a message. You can't hear a reply because they can't see you to make you a buddy. So say something (if its Furian or me)... like "I am in the lobby I am from dark matters. Can you show me about multiplayer"..

Any questions comments or clarifications needed?

I know it will become second nature eventually, but it is a lot to absorb all at once.

So the EU servers do maintenance from 1100-1300 daily. Is that GMT?

I know it will become second nature eventually, but it is a lot to absorb all at once.

I have no idea what they consider maintenance. I've never noticed if it occurs

I have no idea what they consider maintenance. I've never noticed if it occurs

I just had that message pop up when I entered the Lobby.

Sorry, I missed you. I was "AFK", stupid laundry... :angry:

• 1 month later...

Ok, I have pretty much given up on MP. It seems the servers are always deserted, and MP offers nothing but disadvantages as compared to SP. If I export my Closed Net character for SP play, what does she take with her? I assume she takes her inventory and private chest. What about quests and campaign progress?

Ok, I have pretty much given up on MP. It seems the servers are always deserted, and MP offers nothing but disadvantages as compared to SP. If I export my Closed Net character for SP play, what does she take with her? I assume she takes her inventory and private chest. What about quests and campaign progress?

Well, MP or SP, there aren't any differences at all, except for closed net restricting you to the default game settings.

However, if you export you do keep quest progress for each difficulty along with inventory and shared stash, if you have anything in your SP shared stash you want to keep you should back it up, otherwise it will be overwritten when you export.

So the shared chest is exported? I would not have seen that one coming. I only have 1 SP character, so I should be able to move all the stuff to her inventory/private chest. The new roommates may have to have a rummage sale, but there should be enough room to start with.

For me, MP is nothing but SP with extra lag. The lag is livable but I get nothing in return. SP would eliminate that extra lag and add SP-only quests and open up the CM patch. Unless I am overlooking something, it sounds like a win-win.

So the shared chest is exported? I would not have seen that one coming. I only have 1 SP character, so I should be able to move all the stuff to her inventory/private chest. The new roommates may have to have a rummage sale, but there should be enough room to start with.

For me, MP is nothing but SP with extra lag. The lag is livable but I get nothing in return. SP would eliminate that extra lag and add SP-only quests and open up the CM patch. Unless I am overlooking something, it sounds like a win-win.

Yeah, shared stash joins you for the journey.

Sigh...lag...I forgot about that, which you would think it would be hard to do seeing as it soo bad...guess its been a while since I played...I might get ingame in a couple weeks over the easter holidays, but otherwise uni is too big a time sink. To bad that its not busy online, sure used to be worth it back in the day :)

A closed net character will be considered by the game as a MP character. You can play it in SP for the SP-only quests, however the main campaign progress is not saved. You have run the Closed Character in a LAN Campaign for save progress and take advantage of the CM Patch.

As DB said, when you export from closed it overwrites the Shared chest. I myself have been running in LAN with CM for about a month. I haven't abandoned Closed Net but the goodies in CM are just to good to pass on.

I feel ya lujate, have the same issues myself. I tryed to hang on for the longest time, but other than getting to know some really good german players and a few in Britain It's usually just me playing. One single soul on 58 servers. it's gotten pretty bleak out there.

So I exported and started playing Cm- patch. I figured why not have some new fun with it since I'm 98% solo anyway.

Alea iacta est!

With just a minor hiccup with a couple of item modifiers, so far so good. My left-click melee attack is now completely reliable. I never would have associated that problem with lag.