Question on the Bargaining skill

Hello DarkMatters community. I was wondering about the Bargaining skill and it's worth overall. I know from the wiki that I wont see set armor and uniques from merchants with it. But, I liked the idea of getting my hands on tier 12 equip nearly at will.

Thing is, I also have it understood the the gains one gets from the skill are dependent on the level of the character as well as the level of the skill. My HE is level 42 with a 40 in the skill in question.

That in mind, I was wondering if I should drop all other skill progression and concentrate on lvling bargaining, soley, until a certain level or if I should abandon it as a wasted skill choice by now.

I thank you in advance for an advice rendered.

Hello DarkMatters community. I was wondering about the Bargaining skill and it's worth overall. I know from the wiki that I wont see set armor and uniques from merchants with it. But, I liked the idea of getting my hands on tier 12 equip nearly at will.

Thing is, I also have it understood the the gains one gets from the skill are dependent on the level of the character as well as the level of the skill. My HE is level 42 with a 40 in the skill in question.

That in mind, I was wondering if I should drop all other skill progression and concentrate on lvling bargaining, soley, until a certain level or if I should abandon it as a wasted skill choice by now.

I thank you in advance for an advice rendered.

Welcome to DarkMatters...

Bargaining is a very valuable asset:

1.) While you won't find unique or legendary stuff at the merchant's, you will find better stuff for sale.

2.) You're also going to wind up getting discounts for the stuff you do buy.

3.) You should also get a premium amount for whatever you dump out of your inventory on a merchant - even if it is junque.

That being said, when you complete quests and such, you will find yourself getting better drops as well.

One thing - You can only invest as many hard points into any skill as the level you're at. In your case, your level 42 HE can only have 42 hard points invested in Bargaining - at least until you hit level 43. As long as you keep it at level, you should still have extra points to invest in other skills. Especially when you get to higher levels and get 5 skill points every time you level.

You'll also want to get relics that have +x bargaining on them as well as any other jewelry or armor with + Bargaining mods. This will help boost your bargaining skill. But remember, you have a cap on how high your hard points can go.

Edited by wolfie2kX

Hi Judo,

Welcome to DarkMatters!

First off: I'm no bargaining expert, so don't take my word on anything here.

The overall feeling is that bargaining should be at least twice the character level (the higher the better!). So boost your bargaining up to at least character level with points investment and let the +All Skills and +Bargaining do the rest. It's best if you build up a bargaining suit with lots of sockets and socket the rings and amys in there. Bargaining certainly does pay off, but since it takes a lot of time and that is why I don't favour it. I go with EP and let the drops manifest, but that's just me.

But the sooner you start with bargaining the sooner it pays off. So you might want to spend a few hours solely boosting your bargaining to around level 90 or so. It will take time, but this is an endurance race, not a sprint... Find a shopping route of two towns you like with at least two merchants in a town and one or two rune masters (the rune masters have better and more rings and amulets for sale). Then port between those towns until you just can't take it any more and get the craving to slay some beasts. At a stage I had the feeling that blacksmiths had better armour, but that feeling has passed, but it might be worth it just to check out their gear anyway - you just never know when that top notch item makes it's appearance!

In my opinion, the best items only start making their appearance in gold difficulty (at least if you plan on supporting you current toon and not use it as a support shopper for newly created toons). At the start of gold you should look at having a level 60 character with about 150 bargaining.

Hope this helps, but I'm sure the experts will be along shortly to prove me entirely wrong! :whistle:

Excellent information, both. Most appreciated.

I'll keep hitting it and make plans on a barganing suit ASAP. Thank you you both for your time.