Is Sacred 2 Ancaria larger then Sacred 1 Ancaria?

So having put roughly 60 or so hours in the original Sacred (Gold Edition btw) and decided to attempt the tedious task of attempting to fill in the red dot explored area range to encompass the entire world map, which I've decided was not worth it in the end due to the lack of enemy diversity or interesting things to do.

At times I felt that Sacred 1 had basically this mass expanse of empty plains or the desert in the south with basically nothing to do but fight and walk endlessly to the next town or map indicator / goal.

Sacred 2 however seems vastly improved in this regard in the sense that each locale has something different to see in terms of environment or location. It is much more varied.

Anyways getting to the point of my question.

In terms of time it takes to fill in the entire map from greyed out to full color in Sacred 2 and visit every possible location to consider the game 100% explored. Is world in Sacred 2 larger then the one in Sacred 1?

Much bigger, IMO.

Hrm... cannot think of a way to quantify my answer :( Hopefully some vague comparisons will convince you :sweating:

Aside from the Desert and Timberton (and Hedgenton, to a lesser extent), there is not a lot of area you don't cover in the main questline for Sacred 1... assuming you walk the whole thing, no 'porting.

Just considering 'vanilla' Sacred 2, only the Jungle and Waseland areas are missing HUGE tracts of land (cue the Monty Python snickers) to explore outside the main quest(s).

An even more interesting tidbit is because there are more archways in Sacred 2, I believe you can streamline (aka camp-run) the main quest faster than in S1, porting all over Ancaria FTW!

There was a good number of posts and articles all over the net when Sacred 2 was being released regarding the size of this game world. It was supposed to be one of the largest game world maps ever released at the time, here's some links for delicious reading for comaparions, I'm pretty certain it's larger than the first game:

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=268675

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/943498-/55111043

http://darkmatters.org/forums/index.php?/topic/15137-is-sacred-2-bigger-than-world-of-warcraft/

Comparison of the largest game worlds

How big are game worlds

While there are some game worlds that are larger than Sacred 2, looking at their actual worlds reveals many miles of barren landscape, unlike the crowded geometries full of content like Sacred 2!

:)

gogo

Perhaps someone could walk in a somewhat straight line from one side of the map to the other

Ok now I feel dumb... why walk so far when you can just walk a small distance and see how it compares to the same distance on the map? :crazy: