The Remembrance of Ashford Abbey (a Guild Wars story)

This story actually ended up being longer than I expected. Comments are welcome and appreciated. I hope you enjoy it.

The Remembrance of Ashford Abbey

Sardelac Sanitarium, a place of refuge and healing for the traumatized after the Searing. In a time before the Searing, it had a different name, a different purpose, it was once called Ashford Abbey and it was my home for much of my youth.

I return to the Abbey every year with my beloved sister, Xani, and my dearest friend and Guardian, Shantal, to remember those lost and to remember the event that forever changed our lives.

It started out as a small, private day of remembrance, but now it has turned into a very public ceremony. Ashford Abbey’s Remembrance of the Searing draws people of all cultures far and wide for a very spiritual experience. While I am uncomfortable with the attention, I can see no diplomatic way out especially since Benard insists there is no official ceremony in the first place. I do admit it is a beautiful ceremony and deeply moving, so I contently play my part in it.

The ceremony starts with a promising, young girl student from the Temple watching vigilantly for my arrival. This student views her role as a great honor and takes it very seriously. I heard several of the girls did not sleep for days as they constantly kept watch for my arrival. When I do arrive, the girl races to the center of the courtyard with a bell in hand and begins to ring it. I make my way into the courtyard and to the girl as do the Temple faithful, students, and worshipers.

*ring* *ring* *ring*

*flash*

I remember Temmer’s reassuring grin as he said; “You’re feeling things are out of sorts and that is good enough for me.” He paused to gently brush a strand of hair from my face.

*flash*

The hair stood on the back of my neck. Something is wrong, so terribly wrong! But what if I am mad? What if my feelings are betraying me? What if…*deep breath* I have to have faith…

I ran to the courtyard and the great bell there. It was imported from Cantha and used for ceremonies and to gather people in times of emergency. I rang the bell.

*fade*

The girl stops ringing her bell and for a few minutes, the hundreds of people gathered, quietly remember.

*flash*

After several minutes, I stopped ringing the bell. People were gathering in the courtyard. They wondering what the fuss was about and I had no answer. Benard was giving me a disapproving look, when suddenly the wind began to shift and the first ominous, unnatural clouds started to form in the sky. Benard ordered the bell rung.

*fade*

*ring* *ring* *ring*

Three boy students being to ring their bells in unison as I slowly walk and lead the procession to the shrine.

*flash*

Things were orderly at first, people issuing orders and people calmly making their way to the catacomb entrances. Things became more frantic as the foul wind blew and all the sky became red. Then the lighting and the first streaks of fire fell from the sky. It then became all out panic as people desperately raced in from the outlaying farms for the shelter of the catacombs.

*fade*

The procession reaches the shrine and stops. Now only one boy is ringing his bell. The boy and I stare a moment at each other and we both gently smile. He looks so very proud…

*flash*

I was standing outside the catacomb entrance with several other faithful directing people as they arrived. Two of the students that were ringing the bell had just arrived at the entrance.

“Why is Jessap still out there ringing the bell?” I yelled over the storm and people.

One of the students shook his head and talked while trying to catch his breath, “We tried to bring him! He said he would not stop ringing until everyone is safe.”

Jessap was not a gifted student, he was quite the opposite. He was mocked by many as being the village idiot. Despite his slowness, he had a strong back, a big heart, and was always eager and happy to help others.

I needed to get Jessap to safety. I yelled his name and waved my arms to get his attention as I started to run out to get him.

“Jessap! Jessap!”

I made it two steps…

*fade*

I take exactly two steps forward and stop. As I stop the boy stops ringing his bell. I always shudder…

*flash*

A giant crystalline meteor fell into the courtyard and onto where the bell once was, silencing Jessap. The shockwave from the impact knocked me to the ground. The full onslaught of the Searing had begun…

*fade*

On my knees, I bow down towards the shrine as does the rest of the gathering. We are all bowed in silence for several minutes as we remember…

*flash*

I remember the screams of terror and the cries of babies over the thunderous force of the Searing. The dust in the air was as thick as the fear people felt.

Someone yelled, “Cave in at the west wing!”

I was choking on smoke that smelled of sulfur, as I made my way with others, through the shadowy catacomb passages that we could barely see in.

We were moving rubble and stones. We found survivors. One woman’s body was badly broken yet she clung to life as she clung to her crying baby.

“She looks bad off. Careful with her lads.” Temmer’s face was covered with soot and sweat as he looked at me with his intense, blue eyes. “You should go up with her.”

I nodded and left with the men carrying the injured woman and her baby. Temmer was still yelling as he did at regular intervals.

“Help is here! If you can hear us make some noise!”

We were a short way down the passage when the hair on the back of my neck stood on end. I turned back and my eyes locked with Temmer’s one last time. A thunderous sound and the earth shook. Dust filled the air and rocks fell. I was screaming, people were holding me back and then all went numb…

*fade*

In years prior I tried to not cry as I remembered, now I just let the tears come. I wipe away the tears as I slowly stand and walk next to the shrine.

Every year I bring an offering, this year I brought a Canthan cherry blossom, Temmer always wanted to see Cantha…

I place the cherry blossom on the shrine and in the most clear and resonant voice I can muster, I say my vow.

“I offer this in remembrance to all those that have passed. In your name and in the name of all those I love, I carry on and work to make the world a better place”

I walk away from the shrine and people begin to stand and then make their way to the shrine with their own offerings and words. I typically try to make my way to a place to avoid any further attention while I wait for Xani and Shantal, some years I am more successful than others. This year I was intercepted by a family and could see Benard hovering conveniently nearby out of the corner of my eye. I inwardly smile as I sense yet another of the old codger’s schemes to make a proper priestess out of me.

The strangely familiar woman spoke, “Priestess Arnimane?”

“Please, just call me Cygnus.”

“O…ok. Pries…I mean Cygnus. My name is Carol. This is my husband Mark.”

Mark bowed his head and said, “It is a great honor to meet you. This is our daughter Lisa.” He showed me the baby he had cradled in his arms.

“And this is our son Douglas”, Carol put her hands on the small boy’s shoulders as she concluded the introductions.

I recognized Douglas right away. He was the student that rang the final bell in the ceremony.

Carol continued, “I been meaning to do this for years now. I just…just…” Carol bit her lower lip, “I’m not sure if you remember me, but you saved me and Douglas from the rubble in the catacombs…

A sudden wave of realization hit me. It was her. I was doing my best to remain composed, but I was caught completely off guard by this encounter. The onslaught of different emotions was becoming numbing…

“I just wanted to thank you.” Carol managed to choke out as tears welled in her eyes.

I did not save anyone…I could not save anyone…I should have…

“I…I…”

I was trying tell Carol I was sorry, that I should had acted sooner and did more. I had not noticed Xani and Shantal were next to me until they both placed a hand on my shoulders. All three of us exchanged glances and I knew exactly what they were thinking and maybe they were right that I am needlessly beating myself up over events I could not control. My nerves settled.

“You are welcome” I said and bowed to Carol.

Carol smiled and bowed in return. She looked settled now as well. She then kneeled down and whispered something to Douglas.

Douglas walked forward with a long, thin wooden case in his hands. He stopped right in front of me and looked up at me with his wide, nervous blue eyes. He then held up the case with both hand and presented it to me.

He bowed his head and spoke, “We made this for you Priestess Arnimane”

I smiled and took the case.

“Thank you Douglas” he lowered his arms as I took the case.

Instead of returning to his mother, Douglas stood before me staring at me with his big, blue eyes excitedly waiting for me to open the case. I opened the case to reveal and beautiful patterned ribbon, much like the ones I wear around my wrists and in my hair. The ribbon is fashioned in my favorite fabric and colors. On one side of the ribbon a phrase in archaic Canthan and on the other side archaic Ascalon.

Xani was ohhhing and ahhhing as she asked, “What does it say?”

Douglas answered, “A light in the darkness.”

My eyes were getting misty and I smiled at Douglas and said, “It is beautiful. Thank you. I will cherish it always.”

I bowed to Douglas and he bowed in return.

• 2 weeks later...

Great story there Cygnus. Had ment to say so some time ago but had forgotten.

I had also forgotten that Ashford Abbey and Sardelac Sanitarium are one and the same. Great integration of the game story into your own. :D