Guild Wars 2 - Server Switching at Release

I just stumbled across this interview from late July,

http://I.massively.joystiq.com/2012/07/20/guild-wars-2-chat-with-game-designer-mike-zadorojny/

It sounds to me like they will be offering free transfers like they did in some of the BWE.

Release and the future

With the game just around the corner, I'm sure there are a few questions and concerns out there. For one, I know several people learned too late that simply trying to create a character on a server locks you into that server, and deleting your character won't fix that. This was very frustrating for my friends, guildmates, and allies during the first two beta weekends, but ArenaNet understands the situation.

First of all, players will be able to move servers at will for a while after release so that they can play with their friends. Since the game is launching with the ability to switch servers, it should come as no surprise that, in the event that ANet needs to open new servers, players will immediately be able to transfer servers (for free if you're coming from select crowded realms). People also have the option to "guest" on servers, allowing them to play with friends from other servers (unless you want to enter WvWvW with them, in which case, you will need to switch servers).

I just stumbled across this interview from late July,

http://I.massively.joystiq.com/2012/07/20/guild-wars-2-chat-with-game-designer-mike-zadorojny/

It sounds to me like they will be offering free transfers like they did in some of the BWE.

Release and the future

With the game just around the corner, I'm sure there are a few questions and concerns out there. For one, I know several people learned too late that simply trying to create a character on a server locks you into that server, and deleting your character won't fix that. This was very frustrating for my friends, guildmates, and allies during the first two beta weekends, but ArenaNet understands the situation.

First of all, players will be able to move servers at will for a while after release so that they can play with their friends. Since the game is launching with the ability to switch servers, it should come as no surprise that, in the event that ANet needs to open new servers, players will immediately be able to transfer servers (for free if you're coming from select crowded realms). People also have the option to "guest" on servers, allowing them to play with friends from other servers (unless you want to enter WvWvW with them, in which case, you will need to switch servers).

I would really like them to make some semi-offical comment about that again, they sometimes change their minds on some of the items being implemented and forget to tell us while they work on them behind the scenes. Hopefully I will not have to change servers after I log in at 0200 CDT on the 25th to get my character names. :butcher:

Where does the guild tentatively want us to be based as our server? Have our soon to be members given you any idea?

I'll be able to login near 5:30am CDT on the 25th, I'll pick the server we decided. According to Kiyeri, we should pick a high-mid/low-high population server, so according to what I see on this page today, I suggest we pick the Darkhaven server. It has the word "Dark" into it, and it doesn't seem too crowded or too empty.

Max

Edited by Flooxim

Yea I too would like to know if we are staying on Gates of Madness (GoM), or if not what server we plan on going with.

Currently GoM is sitting around 8 on the list of 21servers for population. While this is in no way a hard fact, it is an indication of where people plan at this time to register.

You can check the list here http://www.gw2guilds.org/servers/us?sort=guilds&order=desc

This is a community based listing for information to help choose servers typical for MMO's prior to game release, it is not a guild recruitment site, tho many guilds do "advertise" in their information.

I still think we should sign up and declare what server we plan on making our home, you can enter minimal information.

Actually Kiy, I believe those ranking are just ranked according to number of guilds not the population of said guilds - but I have been wrong before. Looking at what the guilds are listing their size is Darkhaven has one guild with 1000 members and several between 100 and 300, where Gate of Madness has four or so guilds with between 150 - 250 members. But I really don't know how valid those numbers are.

Kind of toss up on grabbing a server using the data. :BlobRed:

Edited by Wygram

Looking at what the guilds are listing their size is Darkhaven has one guild with 1000 members and several between 100 and 300, where Gate of Madness has four or so guilds with between 150 - 250 members. But I really don't know how valid those numbers are.

Kind of toss up on grabbing a server using the data. :BlobRed:

Thanks for telling me the guilds size, I completely forgot to verify that before posting facepalm.gif (I thought this smiley was part of the list here)

Max

Edited by Flooxim

I would really like them to make some semi-offical comment about that again, they sometimes change their minds on some of the items being implemented and forget to tell us while they work on them behind the scenes.

I agree. I would really like to hear it again, preferably straight from the horse's mouth. I expect a pre-release blog next week. Hopefully they will mention this. In the meantime though, the interview from last month is enough to make me comfortable with declaring a primary and a backup home server.

Picking a home server though is a crapshoot at this point. I have read that number of large guilds/alliances are keeping their servers a secret to keep copy-cats from filling up the servers before all of their members get on. FWIW, here is a pick showing the lowest population servers during BWE3. It was taken just after 7am CDT on Saturday.

2ups7dy.jpg

Darn looking at you screen shot they are definitely going to have to either increase the size or number of servers.

I will go with the guild even if I get stuck with a fee, I enjoy the heck out of running around with you, Kiy and especially the Lt. (sorry Max, but you make even dieing funny). :drool:

Just found this via the link to Guildwars2 on facebook http://www.facebook.com/GuildWars2 .

"Pre-Purchase with 3-Day Headstart: Everyone who pre-purchased Guild Wars 2 will enjoy three full days of Headstart Access. The three-day Headstart Access will officially begin at 0:00 AM Pacific time (GMT -7:00) on August 25th. However, please note that in order to ensure that we’re fully prepared for that fateful hour we may bring servers online up to 3 hours prior. If you’re a player committed to getting in first to grab that character name of your dreams you’ll want to be keeping an eye on things during that time period."

Guess who will be attempting to log in late Friday (CDT) starting at about 23:00 Friday. :Just_Cuz_21:

Edited by Wygram

Guess who will be attempting to log in late Friday (CDT) starting at about 23:00 Friday. :Just_Cuz_21:

I just also read that same message on Facebook, and I think it's great that we *may* have access 3 hours earlier.

Max

No the link I posted isn't from Anet, and I doubt very much if they will release that info. Its just a list of guilds that have declared where they are going. I never meant the list to be concrete evidence of how many ppl would be on any given server. Its common practice for mmo communities to post these lists in anticipation of release to help with deciding where you are going to be based. It is a general idea of what guilds are planning. And yes it is a listing of guilds not actual numbers, but you can click on a guild and get an idea of how many are in that guild. I never said it was accurate, just that it might be helpful in deciding where we want to end up. With or without it is a guessing game.

Here is a quote directly from Anet (sorry I copied and pasted, dont kno how to insert from another website)

Introducing the Worlds of Guild Wars 2

by Regina Buenaobra on August 14, 2012

ith Headstart Access right around the corner, we understand that you and your friends need to organize and figure out which world you want to play on. Well, we’ve got you covered. Below you will find a list of all the worlds that will be available at Headstart on August 25. Tell your friends and make sure you all start your adventure together!

US Worlds

Anvil Rock

Borlis Pass

Yak’s Bend

Henge of Denravi

Maguuma

Sorrow’s Furnace

Gate of Madness

Jade Quarry

Fort Aspenwood

Ehmry Bay

Stormbluff Isle

Darkhaven

Sanctum of Rall

Crystal Desert

Isle of Janthir

Sea of Sorrows

Tarnished Coast

Northern Shiverpeaks

Blackgate

Ferguson’s Crossing

Dragonbrand

EU Worlds

Fissure of Woe

Desolation

Gandara

Blacktide

Ring of Fire

Underworld

Far Shiverpeaks

Whiteside Ridge

Ruins of Surmia

Seafarer’s Rest

Vabbi

Piken Square

Aurora Glade

Gunnar’s Hold

Jade Sea [FR]

Fort Ranik [FR]

Augury Rock [FR]

Vizunah Square [FR]

Kodash [DE]

Riverside [DE]

Elona Reach [DE]

Abaddon’s Mouth [DE]

Drakkar Lake [DE]

Baruch Bay [ES]

OK, so I cross-referenced the BWE3 and headstart server lists and here are the three new servers:

• Dragonbrand
  • Ferguson's Crossing
  • Northern Shiverpeaks

I am wondering if picking one of the new servers might not be a good idea. I would immediately throw out Dragonbrand. Having "dragon" in the name makes it sound cool and so it might attract more players.

gw2guilds.org shows:

• Northern Shiverpeaks - 1 guild, 40 members
  • Ferguson's Crossing - 1 guild, 10 members

I also Googled "GW2" + the server name:

• Norther Shiverpeaks - 6.5K hits
  • Ferguson's Crossing - 14.7K hits

(OK, the Google search might be stretching a little, I know.)

I just stumbled across this on reddit.

"
Hi there,

Some of you might have seen the final poll I posted about an hour or so ago, unfortunately I've chosen to remove that poll because I was alerted to certain people from outside of reddit deliberately voting for specific servers to troll with reddit.

At the time of closing the top three servers were the following:

Darkhaven

Isle of Janthir

Gate of Madness

We'll be picking the Isle of Janthir and the Gate of Madness.

Why?

Isle of Janthir

Originally I wasn't going to pick the Isle of Janthir because the reddit guild who were originally on the server didn't wish for the server to get completely full, this is completely understandable but having checked out their subreddit today they have decided to pick a new server.

Darkhaven

I know Darkhaven is favourite among a lot of people but it's just not practical to pick, the server is constantly full and sending even more people there will only cause issues. It's a shame we can't pick the same server we used for the entire beta phase but if we want to have a chance of playing on the same server it can't be Darkhaven

Yak's Bend

This is the Guild Wars 2 Guru and Yogscast server, this server is going to be full no matter what.

Crystal Desert

The same as Darkhaven, it's constantly full.

Gate of Madness

Apart from the Isle of Janthir this is the least full server from the shortlist.

Not all of the reddit based guilds will be using those two servers as their home servers, it's worth checking them out in the sidebar for some good alternatives.

Thanks.
"

Looks like our old Gate of Madness might be getting more crowded.

I propose that we declare Ferguson's Crossing as our primary and Northern Shiverpeaks as our backup.

Everyone let me know what you think. If there are no objections, I will shout this info from the mountain tops this evening.

I don't object, except that don't you think a lot of players will have the same idea, which is going into the new servers?

Max

I don't object, except that don't you think a lot of players will have the same idea, which is going into the new servers?

Max

Yes but I am hoping they will be the minority. Short of waiting until after the game goes live to pick a server, all we can do is weigh the perceived risks and make our best guess.

There are only what six/seven of us currently active in the guild? So if the non-active members don't voice an opinion then the decision should be made by the majority of the members that indicate their preference. I mean we have what 10 days if no one lets us know then we have to go on the best data available.

Not trying to be a pain or kidnap the guild (me happy just to be a member :thumbsup: ) but that is the way I see it.

Like the Sylvari say, "Act with wisdom, but act."

I have no problem waiting a while longer before taking any action, if anyone thinks it will make a difference.

Like the Sylvari say, "Act with wisdom, but act."

I have no problem waiting a while longer before taking any action, if anyone thinks it will make a difference.

We have time, I just wish our current players and future guild members would lend a voice so we don't get a lot of finger pointing after the decision is made. :whistle: