Guild Wars 2 - UNITE Alliance

FDM has been invited to join the UNITE alliance on Ferguson's Crossing. Alliances in GW2 are most often military cooperation agreements between WvW guilds. In this case however, I guess WvW is not UNITE's primary purpose. I think they are just starting the alliance, and the only member guild is Circle of Honor (the founding guild). The alliance does not have a charter or really any rules. They do have a webpage though. Unfortunately, all the content is for registered members only, and so far I have been unable to register. I am very not happy about the fact that the registration page wants my e-mail and GW2 ID. I fail to see how they need both those pieces of info.

I am throwing this out for discussion. So what do you guys think?

Being extremely unfamiliar with guilds and alliances I would like to defer to those members who have some experience in these things. However I agree that while they could reasonably need my GW2 ID so as to add to the contact list it might be asking too much to trust them with email and GW2 ID - but heck what do I know. Kiy what is your voice on this?

Do you know them Lujate? or was it simply a blind invite? Why would we be in an alliance, does it afford us any benefits?

Personally, I would never take Blind invites from people I don't know for anything. If we want to be in an alliance Im sure if we talked to them maybe the other Sacred guilds would love to add us...heck my guildies from gw1 even might, but then Im not inclined to answer to others rules, which is often mandatory. Also, I'm not giving anyone my email address. Many people out there just want to get the biggest group of people together they can however/whatever it takes.

I will say that Sacred people are one of a kind. You all are so helpful and generous and we play together. That is in itself a rare thing. I like being in FDM and I would hate to see it change.

I do not really know them, but it was not a blind invite. I read about the alliance on gw2guilds.org a couple of weeks ago. Personal curiosity got the best of me, so I contacted the guild leader in game for more info. He responded during a personal story quest, so the conversation was rather short.

What are the pros? I have no idea. I guess I would have to get on their forums to see. I do not see any cons to the alliance though. There is no charter, so there are no mandatory obligations for us to fulfil.

Forums asking for an e-mail address is pretty typical. Asking for GW2 ID is what seems odd.

Since you originally contacted them, in my 'lil pea brained mind... that changes the whole thing.

I'm not against joining an alliance. I read their info on GW2guilds. Sounds interesting. I like that they allow each guild to be run individually.

I asked about the GW2 ID's for their forums, and here is the response I received:

They're how you add each other on your friends list. They also link all your alternative characters to one ID so there's no confusion if someone is switching between characters.

It's a good thing to have, in case someone starts an event and would like to contact them asap and doesn't want to wait for them to hit the forums.