Can Sacred 2 PC and PS3 interact together?

Hello all!

Okay so this seems dumb to ask because I think I know the answer already BUT just in case, one cannot buy the PC version of Sacred/Sacred 2 and a PS3 version and interact together can they? Due to being different platforms or do they use the same servers?

Thanx!

Aww thats a sad face worthy answer though :(

But, in the meanwhile I am finding it for sale by PC fairly cheap comparitively, so, I might just buy a few copies of it so that we can play it on a few computers here and go online that way! I can take the PS3 version back since I got it at Bookmans and only be out a few dollars more for the two than just the one :)

Oh while searching I even found they make Sacred Gold for Linux now! So need to buy myself that too LOL

Someone may want to elaborate on this (I don't remember all of the details for the PC server shut down), but if you're looking to play online with the PC version, your options might be limited.

Console versions still have full online play though.

Edited by Mystix123

I think he is asking about PC and console players being able to play together, which is not possible.

Online console play is hosted by Sony or MS. PS3 is free, but I think Xbox has a monthly fee (could be wrong about that though).

That's amazing

How does this work exactly, who pays for the hosting?

To my understanding, games are hosted by the host's console (so the console acts as the server for the game) and something (likely a function provided by the PSN) is used for match-making and leaderboard functions. This mimics Champions of Norrath for PS2 (released in 2004), which I think still has an available online function (though I haven't checked since May).

I've run a few tests which suggests the hosting aspect is as I suspect, such as "unstable connections make it nearly impossible to connect or stay connected", "adding more players reduces stability of the host", and "additional stress on the host's connection from outside sources (such as torrenting) makes the server very unstable". I have to admit that the use of the PSN for match-making and leaderboards is a bit of speculation (I can't think of a way to test it honestly, as you have to be logged into the PSN to play online in the first place), but it doesn't make sense to use the host's console as the server and not use the match-making/leaderboard functions provided by the PSN.

So, while it seems that no one (or perhaps Sony) pays for the actual servers, a smooth online session depends entirely on all players having a quality connection. Even then, it's not abnormal to see someone disconnect randomly. We still take it as "better than nothing".

(Note: Replace "Sony" with "Microsoft" and "PSN" with "Xbox Live" for the 360 version, though I can't confirm that it works the same, as I've never played the 360 version.)

I think he is asking about PC and console players being able to play together, which is not possible.

Thanks for pointing out the ambiguity in my statement Lujate.

I should clarify: Is it still possible to play the co-op on the PC version without the use of Tunngle or a similar alternative? I'd assume that a LAN option is still available, if it had one to start. This is what I was trying to point out to Raevyn: It may not be as simple as all of their friends buying the PC version and online will be available, as it is with the console version.

Edited by Mystix123

Thanks for pointing out the ambiguity in my statement Lujate.

I should clarify: Is it still possible to play the co-op on the PC version without the use of Tunngle or a similar alternative? I'd assume that a LAN option is still available, if it had one to start. This is what I was trying to point out to Raevyn: It may not be as simple as all of their friends buying the PC version and online will be available, as it is with the console version.

The EU servers for PC went dark the beginning of April. The only co-op options are now LAN or via 3rd party programs like Tunngle. I have no idea the status of the NA servers.

I was unable to ever get multi-player to work on PC (think it was my old connection) but I have played the multi-player version of Xbox-360 (tho I hate consul's). You host it on your SP campaign and others join, or visa versa. Once they log out they no longer have access to that game unless they connect to you again. They do though get to keep their drops and purchases and levels if I remember correctly, been ages. Also keep in mind that in order to get experience from each other you have to be in range, forget what that range was, but remember that it was pretty close. All in all, I found the consul to be much more limiting and quickly reverted back to my PC.