Shared storage? Still possible?

Once again renewing acquaintance with Sacred and trying to do something with LAN which may no longer be possible.

- I have installed Sacred Plus, twice in separate folders, and I have added the Underworld expansion to one of these. So I can play Sacred Plus or Underworld separately.

The latter mainly because I like the Daemon.

I have not patched or updated either of these installations - they are as from the original CD.

- When I used to play Sacred, I used a system for swapping items between chars, laborious but it worked. Set up a game on LAN, for my own use, send char #1 there, drop the item(s) to be shared, on the ground or in a chest, do not export the char but save the game and exit.

Then send in one at a time any chars that could use the items so deposited, pick up what was useful, export the char, and exit without resaving the game. Like a form of shared storage.

- I thought I would try to set up this system again. With Sacred Plus, I managed to create a game on LAN, send in my char and play solo. But I have been unable to save the game. I had assumed that the game would be saved in my own PC and reloaded from there (sheer ignorance?). With Sacred Underworld it appears to create a connection but I cannot use it.

Is this now impossible? Would it still work with the right patch? Is there any other way of creating "shared storage" so as not to waste useful pick-ups?

Academic problem perhaps, but comments/suggestions (polite) would be appreciated.

Can't really say... As I've never had two games, say two comps up and running.

I've only done extensive set/unique, etc hoarding on single machine. Collecting the goodies either from Bravemarket or bosses, importing sp char, creating, or loading, if suitable co-op already existed. And dumping all the goodies there.

Save, rinse, lather and repeat.

Had all those wonderful hoards which would make any of the great wyrms pale in comparison, but alas! No backups and hd died on me. Never really got the swing for it again...

But enough of pointless reminiscing. Hopefully someone has more helpful comments in store for you, Bond. ^^

Yep Stormwing - hoarding - much better name for it. Must have been a fairly common technique, but can we still set it up:)

I only did a double install to see if it would work on one or the other or both .... or more likely neither. So I was encouraged to get most of the way with Sacred+ ... if it would only save!!

Look on sacredwiki for Prism's Master Single Player Guide... Prism was the one who documented how to do it.

You're basically right on. Maybe it's a co-op game versus a LAN game?

Let me know if you can't figure it out... I'd have to reinstall but I know of zero reason it can't still be done.

EDIT: actually, if you need help figuring it out, send me a PM too because I'll be out of town and might miss a post in the thread.

EDIT 2: here's the guide: http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php5/Prism%27s_SP_Masterguide%2C_SP_Tips_%26_Tricks It does appear to be a co-op game.

Edited by masteff

Brilliant Masteff - well remembered. That is precisely what I needed ... I hope ... will try it later when I have time.

And thanks for the PM offer.

I had forgotten about Co-op! My version is French unfortunately, so I will have to figure that one out. My memory is not so good these days!

Thanks Masteff for your help. I will be away for two weeks, but would like to take this up again when I get back. The SU connection is still not working.

I have done a certain amount of analysis, but am now concentrating on using the Sacred Plus connection to get two or three chars set up to build while I am away. I will have PC but no Internet connection.

The network IP address for the upstairs and downstairs PCs are different and keep changing. This is automatic and presumably OK. I need to check Carolyn's post again for other connections/ports. Also not sure whether I can in fact create two on-line "servers" on one connection, one for each game - and if not how to delete the one I have now created for Sacred Plus.

As you can see, I am a) ignorant and b) confused! :Just_Cuz_21:

Great. Thanks. Will be here till late this evening, then away till 11 Nov, back for 1 day, the away again a couple of days to collect wife from airport in Paris.

Ports I am trying are:

Sacred Plus:

NETWORK_LOBBYPORT : 7064

NETWORK_LOBBYPORT :

NETWORK_NOCONFIRMATION : 0

NETWORK_PASSWORD :

NETWORK_PLAYERDATA : 1

NETWORK_PORT_LISTEN : 2005

NETWORK_PORT_TCP : 2006

and these are OK

Sacred Underworld:

NETWORK_LOBBYPORT : 7066

NETWORK_NOCONFIRMATION : 0

NETWORK_PLAYERDATA : 1

NETWORK_PORT_LISTEN : 2005

NETWORK_PORT_TCP : 2003

and these do not connect.

Log file shows that for some reason it is reverting to 7064 when trying to create, despite the fact that 7066 is in the .cfg file

-------------------------------------------------

--- Sacred Gameserver 2.21 Internal RELEASE ---

-------------------------------------------------

Local IP #1: 90.19.71.6

Local IP #2: 192.168.0.1

Used timer: QPC

Reading from Gameserver.cfg: NETWORK_INTERNET=0

Reading from Gameserver.cfg: NETWORK_IP_ADDRESS=5a134706

Reading from Gameserver.cfg: NETWORK_LOBBY=sacredfra.ascaron-net.com

Reading from Gameserver.cfg: NETWORK_LOBBYPORT=7064

Reading from Gameserver.cfg: NETWORK_NOCONFIRMATION=0

Reading from Gameserver.cfg: NETWORK_PLAYERDATA=1

Reading from Gameserver.cfg: NETWORK_PORT_LISTEN=2005

Reading from Gameserver.cfg: NETWORK_PORT_TCP=2003

Reading from Gameserver.cfg: NETWORK_PRECONFIG_MODE=4

Gameserver started in pre-configured 'Campaign' mode.

Reading from Gameserver.cfg: NETWORK_PRECONFIG_LEVEL=0

Gameserver set to 'Bronze' level.

Reading from Gameserver.cfg: NETWORK_PRECONFIG_MAXPLAYERS=4

Max. number of player is set to 4.

Reading from Gameserver.cfg: NETWORK_PASSWORD=

Reading from Gameserver.cfg: NETWORK_SESSION=Bugbond

--- 00:00:00 Gameserver Init [Ping: 2005, TCP: 2003, Name: Bugbond, IP: 90.19.71.6, Password off] ---

00:00:00 TIME ALIGNMENT: 12:24:27

Ping port created at #2005

00:00:00 Starting TINCAT v2 build 28

Game Tincat started: waiting for connections...

--- 00:00:00 Gameserver Shutdown ---

00:00:00 TCP Connection closed.

00:00:00 Lobby shut down.