Currently performing a full System Restore and ...

... How do you install the entire game? ...

It downloads as a single HUGE 13.66GB file which then "extracts" into multiple files/folders. That is what you use to install the game. No mention of patches or anything ... yet. I obviously haven't gotten that far yet.

The patches MUST be included - the Ice and Blood expansion will not install on top of anything below 2.40... If you've got Ice and Blood installed (or at least, it's claiming to be installed), you have a pre-patched installation.

... If you've got Ice and Blood installed (or at least, it's claiming to be installed) ...

It isn't claiming anything except not to run, so I have no idea what's there ... yet.

OK, I don't know if this will show up as a new post or not. If not, I am adding this about an hour after my last post.

My support call was finally escallated to Deep Silver. If anyone is interested, I can provide the phone number and email for their tech support. After talking to the support tech for a while, he indicated that he had no idea why the game wouldn't run after install. He suggested I send an email to support so they could send me a program that would help find the problem.

When I sent the email, I attached a DXDIAG file in the hope that it might help.

Now for more waiting ...

Some things I can think of that can cause the game to not launch:

Version of DirectX(IIRC version 9 is needed)

Microsoft updates(not as likely as the above, but still a possibility)

Are you on mac with bootcamp? ...

Nope. So far I refuse to pollute my Mac. I have a separate Windows XP system that I plan on using until I can't use it any more, which should be enough years in the future that I won't care anymore.

I decided to give the Amazon version a try since it's so cheap. It works fine on Windows 8 and I have not had any wierdness or crashes. I am running the game with just CPU zero for processor affinity.

• 1 month later...

OK,I finally got S2G to not only install but run properly on my WinXP system. I still don't know what the problem was. At Deep Silver's suggestion, I did yet another full recovery install, upgraded the drivers and patches, and this time it ran!

I am now able to start a game with the Dragon Mageand have found out I have forgotten what to do! :blush:

Guess it's a good thing. This will allow me to reexplore the map as if it were new. Once I get more comfortable with the UI I may be looking for some coop dungeon crawls ...

:thumbs:

• Like! 1