Curry in a box!

Check this out!!

koh_mutterpaneer_c.jpg

Brad and I just came back from the local Tamil store, and... ta dah... all these cool boxes with apparently packaged deliciously described indian delicacies... and they can last forever until I cook it! (weeeeel :P)

Is this stuff considered "processed?" the ingredients/nutrition list looks awfully good...anything I should be wary of...can this be my new Mcd?

Will it really last for years?

:D

gogo

Let's define the word "processed" when it comes to food.

Any food that has been touched by anything in the kitchen can be considered processed. Even washing a piece of food in the sink can be processed... Why? Because you're washing off the outer layer of dirt/wax/whatever.

All meat - even a raw steak is processed in some way - why? Because it's no longer part of the cow. The butcher has used his mad skills to first kill the critter in question, drain it of it's blood, then with knives carve the beast into various packages to be sold in your local mega-mart's meat section.

To process food, you are doing something to alter it from the previous state it was in..

But in modern terms, it's no so much that something has been processed - it's the degree of how MUCH it's been processed.

Clearly raw meat is not considered processed (even though it has been). The magic of the mega-mart has insulated most people (in the US at least) from that which goes on in a slaughter house. Probably for the best too - if you've ever driven by one on a hot day, you'd know what I mean. The stench is anything but pleasant.

So looking at the box - what do you think? Is it highly processed? YES! Of course it is. They've taken the stuff and partially cooked it, dehydrated it, and put it in a package. LOTS of processing going on there.

Will it last for years...? That right there should be a warning sign. It depends largely on what they've added to the package to make it last for a long time.

Things to look for:

- Salt

- MSG = MonoSodium Glutamate - another salt

- anything you can't easily pronounce or is presented with initials - like BHA, BHT, MSG.

There are very few foods that are natively able to last "forever" - that is - they do not provide an environment for bacteria and other nasty pathogens. One would be honey. And even it doesn't last forever. Depending on how much moisture content it has - it can ferment or crystalize.

Speaking of honey - it's also a highly processed food product. Bees go out and hunt for flower nectar. They eat the nectar and then take it back to the hive where they barf it back up. They repeat this process until there's honey. Then they put the honey into an empty cell of their honeycombs, let it dry out by using their wings to fan the stuff and then seal it with wax. They will use the honey when food becomes sparse during the winter months.

Moisture - water content - is one factor that determines how long/well food can last. If you watch a lot of science shows that deal with outer space, you'll have likely have heard the phrase uttered - "water is essential for life" - or words to that effect. This is true even here on Earth. Water is essential for bacteria to grow - that is, eat and reproduce - which results in spoiled food.

So... Do you want to be eating stuff like this? Eh.. Once in a while, it can be OK - especially if you're busy and have other things to do and need something quick. But as a regular part of your diet? I'd probably say no.

It's been my experience that these types of food products aren't that good. At least, not as good as the original food. It's been my experience that you can make BETTER food yourself. It doesn't really take a lot of effort either. If I'm in a big rush - I can still whip something good together in about 20 - 45 minutes. Sure... Convenience foods are just that - convenient - but there's something lost in the process.

• Like! 1

Let's define the word "processed" when it comes to food.

Any food that has been touched by anything in the kitchen can be considered processed. Even washing a piece of food in the sink can be processed... Why? Because you're washing off the outer layer of dirt/wax/whatever.

All meat - even a raw steak is processed in some way - why? Because it's no longer part of the cow. The butcher has used his mad skills to first kill the critter in question, drain it of it's blood, then with knives carve the beast into various packages to be sold in your local mega-mart's meat section.

To process food, you are doing something to alter it from the previous state it was in..

But in modern terms, it's no so much that something has been processed - it's the degree of how MUCH it's been processed.

Clearly raw meat is not considered processed (even though it has been). The magic of the mega-mart has insulated most people (in the US at least) from that which goes on in a slaughter house. Probably for the best too - if you've ever driven by one on a hot day, you'd know what I mean. The stench is anything but pleasant.

So looking at the box - what do you think? Is it highly processed? YES! Of course it is. They've taken the stuff and partially cooked it, dehydrated it, and put it in a package. LOTS of processing going on there.

Will it last for years...? That right there should be a warning sign. It depends largely on what they've added to the package to make it last for a long time.

Things to look for:

- Salt

- MSG = MonoSodium Glutamate - another salt

- anything you can't easily pronounce or is presented with initials - like BHA, BHT, MSG.

There are very few foods that are natively able to last "forever" - that is - they do not provide an environment for bacteria and other nasty pathogens. One would be honey. And even it doesn't last forever. Depending on how much moisture content it has - it can ferment or crystalize.

Speaking of honey - it's also a highly processed food product. Bees go out and hunt for flower nectar. They eat the nectar and then take it back to the hive where they barf it back up. They repeat this process until there's honey. Then they put the honey into an empty cell of their honeycombs, let it dry out by using their wings to fan the stuff and then seal it with wax. They will use the honey when food becomes sparse during the winter months.

Moisture - water content - is one factor that determines how long/well food can last. If you watch a lot of science shows that deal with outer space, you'll have likely have heard the phrase uttered - "water is essential for life" - or words to that effect. This is true even here on Earth. Water is essential for bacteria to grow - that is, eat and reproduce - which results in spoiled food.

So... Do you want to be eating stuff like this? Eh.. Once in a while, it can be OK - especially if you're busy and have other things to do and need something quick. But as a regular part of your diet? I'd probably say no.

It's been my experience that these types of food products aren't that good. At least, not as good as the original food. It's been my experience that you can make BETTER food yourself. It doesn't really take a lot of effort either. If I'm in a big rush - I can still whip something good together in about 20 - 45 minutes. Sure... Convenience foods are just that - convenient - but there's something lost in the process.

What along, deliciously detailed post. Thank you for putting so much time into writing that up for me. I just snipped open the bag it came in, and heated it up in the microwave, though I could (and did) eat some out of the bag...

Deeeeeeeeelish!

Course, it's still 1.99 for a pack of home tasting goodness, but, and I completely agree with you, as a treat, it's wonderful. Rich, incredibly tasty, and spicy.

love that write up about the honey....

bee barf huh

:blink:

gogo

What along, deliciously detailed post. Thank you for putting so much time into writing that up for me. I just snipped open the bag it came in, and heated it up in the microwave, though I could (and did) eat some out of the bag...

Deeeeeeeeelish!

Course, it's still 1.99 for a pack of home tasting goodness, but, and I completely agree with you, as a treat, it's wonderful. Rich, incredibly tasty, and spicy.

love that write up about the honey....

bee barf huh

:blink:

gogo

Yup... Bee Barf...

From Wikipedia:

Honey bees transform saccharides into honey by a process of regurgitation, a number of times, until it is partially digested. The bees do the regurgitation and digestion as a group. After the last regurgitation, the aqueous solution is still high in water, so the process continues by evaporation of much of the water and enzymatic transformation.

So it's not just one bee being anorexic.. it's the whole hive.

More from the source:

In the hive, the bees use their "honey stomachs" to ingest and regurgitate the nectar a number of times until it is partially digested.[10] Invertase synthesized by the bees and digestive acids hydrolyze sucrose to give the same mixture of glucose and fructose. The bees work together as a group with the regurgitation and digestion until the product reaches a desired quality. It is then stored in honeycomb cells. After the final regurgitation, the honeycomb is left unsealed. However, the nectar is still high in both water content and natural yeasts, which, unchecked, would cause the sugars in the nectar to ferment.[8] The process continues as bees inside the hive fan their wings, creating a strong draft across the honeycomb, which enhances evaporation of much of the water from the nectar.[8] This reduction in water content raises the sugar concentration and prevents fermentation. Ripe honey, as removed from the hive by a beekeeper, has a long shelf life, and will not ferment if properly sealed.[8]

So, it ain't anything like you seen in

At any rate.. If you like what you got in the package - I'd bet you could make it as good, if not better if you spent some time learning how to make it. There are plenty of places where you can get info on what goes into the dish. You might have to run around trying to find a source for some things, but once you've got that, it's just a matter of putting it all together in the right manner. You might need to pick up a few new skills - but that can't possibly be a bad thing.

In fact, I know it would be better - you have full control over what goes into the pot and what doesn't. So you quite probably would not be putting nasty preservatives and other junk in it.

Edited by wolfie2kX

Let's just put it this way Gogo.... it's definitely better for you than McD's or Twinkies. (Although my answer is strictly based on that brand, no ideal about other similar brands w/out checking out the labels and nutrition facts.)

The first below website has the nutrition label (under "nutrition facts"). No trans fats is a good thing. The second website below says "all natural with no preservatives, certified kosher". Oh, and it's cooked in olive oil.

http://www.sadaf.com/kohinoor-mutter-paneer-splendid-cheese-peas-2112/

http://www.ncapnabazar.com/viewproduct.aspx?id=533

I'm actually going to have to check out my local Indian food store to see if they have that or a similar tasty good looking brand. Of course I also live 3/4 mile from a restaurant that makes a fabulous currr, but sometimes you don't want to spend the time or have that big of a serving. And that looks so easy to take to work for lunch.

• Like! 1

masteff, it is SO TASTY. And it's got just the right level of heat..I tasted it out of the package, and because it's all pre-cooked, had to assert some restraint. I could have made some rice and veggies on the side, and this would have been a great quick stand in.

If it's better than MCd's, I'm excited, and at 1.99 per DELUXE indian food experience, I'm going to recommend this to everyone, or... .just bring some packages over to friends' houses for them to try.

Hope you can find it somewhere, the quality, packaging, taste, and most importantly (to me) is the way they did teh writing... no Indianglish here

:P

gogo

If you like curry - unlike a certain dromedary who moderates on SIF - try Thai curry.

It's insanely EASY to make and best of all it's FRESH.

Here's what you need:

2 5.5 ounce measures of rice (dry) cooked per your rice cooker's instructions (You DO have one of those - right?)

1 heaping Tbs of Mae Ploy Curry paste - red, green, yellow, whichever you like.

1 20 oz can of Mae Ploy Coconut milk.

1 largish onion sliced into strips.

1 bell pepper - red or green - cut into strips

2 jalapenos - sliced into half rings

1 russet potato, peeled and sliced into THIN half circles

1 zucchini squash, sliced into discs.

1 cup of frozen peas and carrots

Now here's the only really difficult part.

1 entire chicken breast, boned, skinned and cut into bite sized pieces OR

1 lb of beef - high grade please, cut into bite sized pieces OR

1 lb of pork for stewing cut into bite sized pieces.

You can also go with shrimp, lobster or fish if you'd rather go there.

The key to this recipe is to have everything ready to go before you start heating the wok or large frying pan. When prepping your vegetables, leave the potato for last as it will turn brown if left to oxidize in the air.

Prepare the rice so it's ready to go when you're done with the curry.

There are two ways to go about this - one is for pork and beef, the other is for chicken or fish. The reason - beef and pork require a bit more time to cook properly than chicken or seafood.

Beef and Pork:

Carefully add the meat into your hot oil. The oil should be as hot as possible without it starting to smoke. Stir fry the meat until it's browned on all sides. Remove it from the hot oil and set aside for a moment.

Add the curry paste and the thick part of the coconut milk into the oil, breaking up and combining the curry paste with the coconut milk. The white foamy stuff should turn whatever color the curry paste happens to be.

Add your potato slices to your curry paste and let it simmer a bit in the sauce. When the potato is about halfway cooked, drop in the onions and peppers and stir fry those in the sauce. When the dish is finished, it should still have a bit of crunch and texture, not be cooked to death. Add in the zucchini slices and continue cooking. Add in your meat and combine it with the rest of the can of coconut milk (the almost clear juice part at the bottom). Stir well and simmer.

Taste the sauce. Add any salt or pepper - as desired.

Chicken or Fish

For chicken or fish, you want to start with the vegetables first - so put curry paste and the thick part of the coconut milk in first and stir well. Add your potatoes next, followed by the onions, peppers and zucchini as if you were doing beef or pork. Add the rest of the coconut milk into the mixture and combine it well. When the mixture gets back to a boil, add your chicken or fish and let simmer for about 5 - 10 minutes - checking for doneness as you go along.

When it's done, serve with rice either on the side or on the bottom - that's up to you. I generally like my curry over a bowl of rice, letting the rice soak up that lovely sauce.

• Like! 1

lol

Looks as detailed as the flavors in the meal...

I found a bottle of "Thai instant sprinkle on flavoring"

will that do

:devil:

gogo

Um... NO..! You want it to taste GOOD - right?

Amazon carries the Curry Paste- tho at an extreme premium price. If you shop around, you can find it for half of what Amazon wants for one tub. Look around your neighborhood for a Thai or other Asian market. My favorite Thai market carries if for less than 1/2 of what Amazon wants for the same thing.

Amazon also carries the Coconut Milk - also at a premium price. My local Asian megamart has it for $2.00 per can - or 1/3rd of what Amazon is trying to gouge people for.

Do a few mins worth of research and find a place that sells the stuff locally - it'll be WELL worth it. Yelp.ca has some listings in the Montreal area (that's where you're at - right?) for Asian markets.

Btw.. If you can't find Mae Ploy Coconut milk you can go with Chaokoh brand. I actually like theirs better. As before, Amazon is gouging customers for this product. $7.33 for a 13 oz can of coconut milk? What's it come in? A Gold plated tub? I usually can find it for 1/5th of the price - about $1.80 per 13 oz can or $1.99 for the 20 oz can.

The rest - all normal, local produce.

Coconut milk, yes!

lol keep forgetting about that.

once found a place where I could get it powedered

Was really cheap, and didn't spoil

thoughts?

:)

gogo

Good grief Gogo... :cha (18):

Didn't we go over how overly processed foods aren't as good (or good for you) enough?

Do me a favor... Just for the sake of grins and giggles - go out and find a real can of the stuff I posted about above. Then open the can and look inside. Now then, take this powdered crap you've found and make a batch of it and then tell me (and everyone else) how much better it is over what's in the can. It ain't gonna be anywhere near what's in the can.

The stuff in the can will have a thick head on it. It's almost sort of like a milk shake - except there's no dairy products in the can and it's not frozen. There will also be the thin part on the bottom that's almost clear.

The powdered stuff will likely wind up being some homogenized funky tasting stuff that looks like and is thin - like regular milk. You're just NOT going to get that thick fluffy head out of that packet of powder.

And since you've gotten the can of coconut milk - might as well get some curry paste, some veggies and your choice of meat - and make some curry out of the stuff in the can. The other stuff.. FLUSH IT DOWN THE SINK!

Think about how they go about getting the canned stuff and turn it into a powder. They likely freeze dry it. While that works for coffee, it doesn't for coconut milk - not without some sort of nasty stuff you probably don't want in your body.

EDIT: Oh.. And the canned stuff will last at least a few years on the shelf. Not that you would leave it on the shelf that long. You'll likely grab it and make some curry long before it expires.

Edited by wolfie2kX

Um.. Here's a hint.. they're round, have a hard shell and are kind of fuzzy..

post-14586-0-77334100-1373951789_thumb.jpg

From Wikipedia:

Coconut milk is the liquid that comes from the grated meat of a coconut. The colour and rich taste of the milk can be attributed to the high oil content. Most of the fat is saturated fat. Coconut milk is a very popular food ingredient used in Southeast Asia, especially in Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam, Singapore,India and the Philippines.

When added to the above mentioned curry paste you get something that looks like this:

post-14586-0-10719100-1373951939_thumb.jpg

lol my parents, used to ONLY us fresh coconut...this was in the old days when the world had more hours in the day. He even had this amazing/old/strange colored bladed thing with four serated saw edges on it. He'd snap the coconut in half (with his jason 13 machete) then he'd place the end of the wheel/thing into half the coconut and start spinning it.

Curry just never tasted the same since

:)

gogo