Something I came across while roaming the Intertubes - Danger 5...

wolfie2kX

This is a TV show from down under and it's mostly NSFW...

Consider yourselves warned...

So what's it all about? Well.. If you remember the Thunderbirds (NOT the lame 2004 movie, but the original series by Gerry Anderson done in the late 60's/early 70's), you will no doubt "get" the humor.

It's a show about World War II... But it's not the one that actually happened. At least, not the one portrayed in countless movies, newsreels and what not. In this series - it apparently happened during the late 1960's... More like the 60's version of the future (as seen in shows like Thunderbirds, UFO and Space: 1999)...

As a for instance, in the opening of the first episode, we have 3 French girls talking about the resistance when they happen to feel a bit of an earthquake. They look out the window to find 2 rather large blimps use mechanical claws to steal the Eifel Tower from Paris. These mechanical claws (and the blimps, for that matter) are right out of the sort of miniature modeling studio that spawned the Thunderbirds and similar shows... A couple of NAZI guards break in and shoot the girls. (The JERKS! They were hot!) And then a talking German Shepard dog-bot starts yapping about how they're going to take over the world...

Enter the Danger 5 team... They're lounging about in a house that looks suspiciously like the Tracy residence on (yes, you guessed it) Thunderbird Island. The bartender is blathering on about various drinks he's learned to make, another guy is playing chess against a Mineki Neko (the Japanese waving cat) - and managed to lose to the device. The last two - are arguing about relaxation... Their leader enters - he's a guy with the head of an eagle...

I told you this show was weird...

It's kind of like the Thunderbirds in the same sort of whacked out way Venture Brothers is to Jonny Quest. Weird, perverse, violent, and actually funny... Makes you wonder tho what them Aussies have been smokin' down under.. Must be quite potent stuff..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcweCozBY9s

Edited by wolfie2kX

I didn't see all of it, but I love the cat on the table schtick, and, groan...I can see this getting a following... or does it already have one?

:o

gogo

p.s. half part star trek, one part james bond, dig those sound effects and camer aangles, but do love the way they light cigaretts ;)

It's more like Monty Python humor meets the Thunderbirds (original series) meets pretty much every sci fi cliché under the sun all allegedly taking place in the era of WW2.. And throw in a measure of Benny Hill bawdiness for the heck of it.

Oy.. This is starting to sound like one of those death bed drink recipes... There's at least one in every episode...

For instance... Episode 2 features a warm spot in Antarctica where dinosaurs survived the last 65 million years. Josef Mengele is doing mind control experiments on them. Love the B movie title - The Lizard Soldiers of the Third Reich...

As far as a following goes. It's had 1 run of 11 episodes in Australia and from what I've heard it's been renewed for a second series to be released in 2014 - so it must have gotten enough ratings to justify that... Networks don't invest money in shows they're not going to show on TV.

Maybe someone who lives down under might have a better idea on this?