SP Niobium Level 1 naked Dragon Mage!

Ok so with a character editor I found, I started a game at level 1 on Niobium just for fun, and here is what happened:

The first enemies I ran into were level 111. I couldn't kill one for the life of me; I was taking about 2,000+ damage. I even created new characters to try every God Spell. The Ker God spell was doing 0 damage to the snapping turtle. The best God spell I found was Forens, because when it reflects damage it gives you a chance to get 1 hit in with the lifeleech skill of Dragon Berserk. (Keep in mind I only had 3 skills: Energy Blaze, Dragon Berserk, and Familiar). But it's only 50% chance reflect so you still die.

I then tried recruiting Private Rinmar from the pirate quest. I thought if he killed an enemy I could get experience for it. I managed to aggro a wolf and I let him kill it: no experience.

One time I got a ranged weapon out of the starter chest. Then I managed to get an enemy just out of aggro range and attacked him. The problem is I missed every single time. 0 Damage.

Then I tried to do a quest that didn't involve killing anything, to see how much experience reward I would get. So I did the "pick up 3 talismans" quest and I only got 150 experience for it.

Has anyone else tried this challenge with any class? I'm curious how much experience I would get for the first kill, and how many levels I would gain off of it.

AC

• Like! 1

I believe that it would be almost impossible to kill anything. If you did actually manage to sucessfully somehow evade all damage they dealt, when you did actually hit them (if ever) if you did actually deal any damage they would probably heal before you managed to hit them again.

Ahh that's what I was trying to figure out, if they regenerate health in and/or out of combat.

I also tried very briefly on Platinum and Gold, the enemies were level 73 and 41 and I still did no damage and they still one-shotted me.

Ok so with a character editor I found, I started a game at level 1 on Niobium just for fun, and here is what happened:

The first enemies I ran into were level 111. I couldn't kill one for the life of me; I was taking about 2,000+ damage. I even created new characters to try every God Spell. The Ker God spell was doing 0 damage to the snapping turtle. The best God spell I found was Forens, because when it reflects damage it gives you a chance to get 1 hit in with the lifeleech skill of Dragon Berserk. (Keep in mind I only had 3 skills: Energy Blaze, Dragon Berserk, and Familiar). But it's only 50% chance reflect so you still die.

I then tried recruiting Private Rinmar from the pirate quest. I thought if he killed an enemy I could get experience for it. I managed to aggro a wolf and I let him kill it: no experience.

One time I got a ranged weapon out of the starter chest. Then I managed to get an enemy just out of aggro range and attacked him. The problem is I missed every single time. 0 Damage.

Then I tried to do a quest that didn't involve killing anything, to see how much experience reward I would get. So I did the "pick up 3 talismans" quest and I only got 150 experience for it.

Has anyone else tried this challenge with any class? I'm curious how much experience I would get for the first kill, and how many levels I would gain off of it.

AC

Truth be told, there's an option in one of the text files that dictates the minimum level for entering each difficulty. You can simply change the numbers to 1 and you would wind up having the same general effect. A level 1 character in Niobium...

But as you found out already there IS method to the madness of why they set minimum levels in each difficulty range.

Truth be told, I haven't tried this particular setup, but I somehow doubt you could ever kill anything unless you maybe turned off ALL damage being dealt by the enemies you face. It'd be like trying to stab a guy in a suit of chain mail armor with a butter knife - you're just not going to do much damage.

• Like! 1

Yeah.. IIRC, the stuff I mentioned is modified in Balance.txt. It's the option that controls which level is required for entry into a given level. Just change all of them to 1 and viola! you're in Niob with a level 1character.

Yeah.. IIRC, the stuff I mentioned is modified in Balance.txt. It's the option that controls which level is required for entry into a given level. Just change all of them to 1 and viola! you're in Niob with a level 1character.

Truth be told, I haven't tried this particular setup, but I somehow doubt you could ever kill anything unless you maybe turned off ALL damage being dealt by the enemies you face. It'd be like trying to stab a guy in a suit of chain mail armor with a butter knife - you're just not going to do much damage.

I tried that, but it only allowed me to make a LAN game in that difficulty, which does not save your progress so it's different than SP. Unless there is another way to do this.

I was curious how many levels I would gain if I killed a level 111 enemy. I can change the enemies' damage output, but I'm not sure there is a way to change my characters damage output.

Thanks for the responses, was curious if other people tried and what they're experience was.

AC

Edited by ACWhammy

Er.. What do you mean you can't save your progress in MP games..? That is only true if you use a character created as a SOLO player game. If you start off with a muiltiplayer character, you can save your progress in a multiplayer environment.

Er.. What do you mean you can't save your progress in MP games..? That is only true if you use a character created as a SOLO player game. If you start off with a muiltiplayer character, you can save your progress in a multiplayer environment.

When I save the game it reads "Character saved. Game progress not saved." So I assume it means that the levels I gain are saved but the quests I complete or mission progress is lost. Am I correct?

OK.. Let's clear this up.

You can't take a character created in SP and play it in MP. Likewise, you can't use a character created in MP and play it in SP.

But, if you create a SP character, you can play it all day long in SP and you can also play an MP character in MP all day long - and you will be able to save your progress.

As long as you're playing the character in the environment it was created in, everything works perfectly well.

Update:

I was able to start the Dragon Mage at level 1 in Gold and progress that way.

Levels 1-6: I found a spot near the "Dulcinea" quest where I could hide behind a fence and bush and cast Energy Blaze and the wolf cannot get me. I need to have the Familiar Buff on for the additional Intelligence. It took me 40 minutes to kill the first wolf and gain a level. My Survival Bonus after the first kill was 10%. Oddly enough, I only received 466 experience for killing it.

I continue to gain levels this way.

Level 6: I start shopping for armor that lowers regen time and a weapon that increases experience. There are no other ways for me to obtain gear as all the barrels drop level 41 items. I also buy a pair of shoes that increase my run speed. This allows me to aggro up to 3 wolves near the fence.

My Survival Bonus is 29.5%, time played 3 hr 25m. I still haven't been able to complete any quests or go head to head with an enemy.

Level 7: I'm able to kill the wolves using Energy Blaze in 3 minutes now instead of 40 minutes. They still give a base experience of 466 xp each.

So it is possible to start at Level 1 in Gold on SP if you use the "hide behind the fence" trick. I think if I continue to upgrade my gear I will eventually be able to progress. I'll keep updating if there is any interest at all.

• Like! 1