Sound effects question.

I've had one question about the game mechanics ever since I started playing on the PC, but have never gotten around to asking it. When I move some items around in my inventory(esp armor) they have light saber sound effects. Do I have something installed wrong? I get all the light sabers that I'm supposed to when I do the correct quests, are there supposed to be more light sabers dropping?

Edited by Gilberticus
  • Like! 1

When I move some items around in my inventory(esp armor) they have light saber sound effects.

That DEFINITELY is not suppose to happen for anything other than lightsabers - usually its more of a light unnoticeable ting sound. Telling us what version of the PC game and community patch version you are playing would be as start in troubleshooting the problem.

I've noticed this same phenomenon. It happens with some jewelry too. Since I've been noticing it for years on CP versions 1.20 and 1.30, and I'm now just beginning to play with 1.40, I can't narrow down all the CP versions on which I've noticed the audio effect. Also, I've never had a random light saber drop. I've only had the planned ones (Y'Oldah, Corn Circles, Matter of Nerves, Twitty Tister, and Power of Nim tied to the Office Quest.)

About getting lightsabers: white and blue ones can be bought from traders if a character has some levels in Bargaining skill. Probably very high Bargaining can get you yellow ones too. Bringer of Light and random golden (random uniques) lightsabers drop sometimes from various bosses, but not frequently at all. Probably the overall number of set and unique items in game makes particular ones hard to get.

I ran a Jedi build myself, and I can testify that you should not really count on getting these uniques. They drop rarely and for me they dropped only on higher difficulties, so it's easier to just obtain another NIF. As of NIFs - if you start a Multiplayer Campaign with a Singleplayer character, the quest process on server would not be saved (the same with starting SP campaign with MP character). However, experience and items the character earns in this game are saved. This allows you to complete quests as many times per difficulty as you wish. And as a quest reward Power of NIF always drops on par with character level. Yes, running to the jungle to trigger the switch and then to the office and to visit Frank again and again is somewhat tedious, but you can do it as many times as you wish with the same character on the same difficulty level. From what I remember Power of NIF doesn't drop outside of the quest, so if you want a NIF-centered character repeated completion of the Epic Office quest on specially created LAN servers is the only normal option to get the weapons. The only way that is simpler than this is to alter the scripts and droplists so you could get items as you wish, but it's quite game breaking.

To tell the truth, this game does need more lightsaber variety. If there were more unique and legendary weapons they would have dropped more frequently.

Edited by Silver_fox

Dam, sounds like its not the CM patch at all.

If it's not troubling, could you uninstall the CM patch and run around with a new character to test that the problem is still there? I theorize it could be the audio codecs/buffers or less likely incorrectly installed game files.

Also, try changing the sound quality from high to low.

What about modding Power of NIF as a reward of an earlier simpler quest? The game has a lot of quests with specific reward items.

I have all the Power of Nifs I needed, it didn't dawn on me until today to make experience. suits, never really needed them before. I discovered that particular saber late in the game because I've never done the Epic Office quest until recently, and have never really looked at the wiki before. But that's not my focus. What I was concerned with was why armor and weapons sometimes had lightsaber audio. That in itself is nothing, but my friends who had the same issue also had another issue: their High Elves had developed gutter mouths, they'd randomly scream out the f bomb. I have no clue what they did wrong, but I discovered what I did: I messed up a few files when I was trying to remove the Blind Guardian song from the game and add in other things. I fixed my problem, thanks. :)

• Like! 1

I discovered what I did: I messed up a few files when I was trying to remove the Blind Guardian song from the game and add in other things. I fixed my problem, thanks. :)

QqI8Gwu.gif

• Like! 1