4 Good Movies

Guest gogoblender

Guest gogoblender

I was lucky to have seen four good ones within this last two weeks. Lucky cuz it's rare that I even enjoy as much as I have this many movies over the course of four years :drinks:

Here's my listing from least to best with some reasons for and why.

1. Pan's Labyrinth...yeah it was good...but blah blah blah everyone else think's it's god's gift or something. lol, I'm gonna recommend it but strangely enough the field is so tight right now that it comes in last amongst these four

... I don't mind :)

2.The Illusionist. Don't know what it was. Maybe it's Ed Norton. Or maybe the fact that the moment the first shot opened I was utterly transfixed by this super cool world of magicianism and illusionism. Ever since I was a kid I always wanted to be a magician so I guess there's a personal connection here. Great odes to Houdin and if you're a magic fan this one pays tons of homage to the classic tricks of yesteryear. The intricately told tale had me goin back over and over just to visit this period piece.

Stellar.

3. Children Of Men. K...this movie is so so SO sad to watch. And I don't even mean if it's got a happy ending or not. I guess it's just that stories can be told from such saddening points of view. And this journey is terrifying, sad and ever so scary because...I think it's close. The filming in this movie is some of the best Iv'e ever seen. Almost none of the fancy quick adver style editiing that has you jumping around from scene

to scene so fast you don't know if you've left your heart behind in the last one. Some of the combat scenes from this movie are so long...so surprising and jsut completly sneak you ( yeah sneak you) into violence that this movie teaches is always frighteningly so close at hand. P.d. James, a celebrated brit writer wrote it and her brilliance shines through in an amazing movie.

4. The Prestige. This is one of the best movies I've seen all year. I had no idea what this movie was about and because of it's title I was loathe to even watch a trailer. Perhaps that's why this movie right from the get to nailed me to my chair for the more than two hours which it played?

Two boyhood friends

Both Magicians

One with the best trick ever seen

The other with a jealousy that burns through the years.

How far can rivalry go?

This movie tells us the tale.

It's directed by the same director that did Memento.

Please...

DO NOT LET ANYONE TELL YOU ABOUT IT'S ENDING.

If you're one of the lucky ones who can get to see this movie unhindered by the weight of it's ending then maybe, you'll perhaps be just as lucky as I am to have the recurring nightmares I do with the image from this movie's last half-second frame.

See it

Cheers

:)

gogo

Well, I saw 1, 2, and 4 [2 and 4 a while ago]. Didn't see Children of Men, as it looked too depressing. :(

The Prestige and The Illusionist had a lot of similarities, but I think I liked The Prestige better. I think both were worth seeing though. Of course, Edward Norton just RoCkS!

Over the weekend I saw Venus, which was really good. Peter O'Toole as an aging actor in a March-December relationship with a friend's neice. The characters were very real and the whole movie seemed very true to life. It was really excellent.

A couple of weeks ago I saw The Painted Veil. Another excellent picture, with gorgeous scenery. An engaging story, and a bit of history thrown in to boot. Pretty sure it was shot around the Li River, and not a tributary of the Yangtse. How do I know? Well . . .

I also saw Curse of the Golden Flower recently. The scenery was to die for, and lots of people did. :P I hope this was not how the inside of the Forbidden City looked during the Tang Dynasty, or it would explain why they fell from power, 'cause they all went mad :P from the colors! This one went on a bit too long I think, but still an interesting movie. [subtitled]

Sad to say that all three of these films has a bit of a similar trend. I won't mention what it is, but you'll probably guess it if you see them. :P