How to start an IPB forum???

moonkeybla

Ok, Im just going to copy and past what I had just sent to an admin to save me writing it all again.

Hi, I know you probably dont have the time to answer this, but im desperate!

I've been trying to switch from invisionfree.com to IPB 1.3 or another version for ages, but dont know how.

Do you happen to know how I could do this? My forum is a www.z4.invisionfree.com

If you dont know how to change, could you tell me how to buy a new forum alltogether, just like the one you've got here. I tried buying one from invisionboard.com, but I didn't understand how to get the forum up and running.

Please, if its not too much to ask (I know it probably is), but if you ever find the time, please could you give me a quick step by step tutorial of how to start an IPB forum.

I know its likely you dont have the time to help me, but thanks anyway

Any help from anyone would be extremely appreciated!

Thanks.

Hi,

Well we started off as a free board with invision. We bought a domain first then we bought a host then we bought software. Maybe you could contact Invision to help you with this process.

This was our old free board Here. The process as I remember was very quick. I am not so great technically so I would think maybe someone else will post on this or you could contact invision :P

What sort of forum are you running at the moment? Maybe you could link us to it?

I've got the domain, and its a fan forum for the new abc series "Pushing Daisies" that starts in September.

The forum is quiet now, as the tv show hasn't started, and not many people have heared of it.

I want to switch to IPB before the show airs to save messing about later.

http://daisies-forum.com or http://z4.invisionfree.com/pushingdaisies

I've asked invision, but havent had a responce. If anybody could help, please do :P

Ahh nice looking forum you have there moonkeybla :P

I am sure one of the others here can point you in the right direction :) as I said technically I am as much use as a chocolate teapot :)

hi there moon

As Claire said above, we went to ipb after invision free was turning out to be too small for us. The most important thing here is to know how much your budget is for the year. There's many deals for hosting, some are cheap, some are a bit more.

We have ipb software here and actually use ipb as hosting for this site. They're a bit pricier than other hosts and you could probably find hosting at a third to half the price, but, as the rep says...you get what you pay for.

If you're in a big rush to switch to ipb (lol, like we were) I would strongly encourage you to give their office a call and inquire about the packages.

They are extremely professional and quite honest in find a suitable package for any budget.

Here is the link,

http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?showtopic=189026

give em a call this monday when you have the time to check out the packages you have and you'll be up and going faster than you could imagine.

Good luck!

:P

gogo

Lol :P Thanks anyway :)

If somebody can help me out, thanks in advance. I'd really appreciate it.

Anyway, im off now. I should be back tomorow though.

Bye, and nice meeting you all!

EDIT - Thanks gogo! I'll give them a ring.

Edited by moonkeybla

Well as gogo said call them up, remember they are state side so you'll have to check the time diff's and they will talk you through all the options etc when you talk to them :P GL with it and let us know how you get on :)

Ok, sorry, I didn't get chance to say this last night because I was in a rush.

But I did buy an IPB forum before ( I think )

I bought this package - http://www.invisionpower.com/hosting/community.html the basic $10.00 a month one. But I dont think I bought the right one, because I had to upload files or something, whereas with invisionfree, once you;ve made the free forum, its already there. But with IPB, I just didn't understand what to do. Maybe I just bought the wrong package:)

If you wouldn't mind, could you let me know which package it was you bought? I dont mind about the price, I just need a working IPB forum.

We started off with the Lite package, but we're thinking now of upgrading to the next size up as our bandwidth costs have risen enormously.

Ahh, the stuff of love

:)

gogo

p.s. Make sure you call ipb. Tell them what exactly your needs are and they'll set you up nicely. Also a point of note. they offer two kinds of "hosting" services. One is community hosting, the other is website hosting.

http://www.invisionpower.com/hosting/shared.html

We went with website hosting and think it's a better deal.

Thanks for the help again :D

Can I just ask, is it pretty easy to set everything up once you've just bought it? I mean, last time I bought one, I had to upload stuff, but I couldn't figure out how to do it, so I cancelled the subscription before I even got my board set up.

Once you've payed for a certain subscription, will you just need to set up the forum? Or will you need to download something else for it to work?

I dont really need to give them a call as I just want a basic forum, as long as it works I dont mind :) The reason I want to switch is basically because IPB has more features (better profiles, better memberist etc)

Thanks for the help gogo/erial. Its appreciated :D

Hey Moonkeybla, please be careful with the double posting. Here's a link to our forum posting guidelines that are pretty spiffy and fun to read:

http://darkmatters.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3754

This is a pretty busy forum, and we really try out best to get to all the questions we can in a reasonable amount of time.

It's just not msn, so try and give us a chance for us to get to these threads :)

Regarding your questions, I think that if you're not willing to give IPB a call to really get a "grounding" on your interest, you'll probably need a rl friend who can help you actually get your site going.

Schot's our main admin here who handles all this stuff, and after we had bought everything we had we need and researched on the net, we made phone calls for domain name, provider and software purchase.

The board is easy to set up once you have it in place, but you'll have to have a good handle on what goes where. If you haven't done it before I encourage you to find someone in RL who can help you with the set up and take it from there.

I encourage you to phone or email them asking basic questions regarding what exactly it is you have bought, what you are entitled to and where to go from there.

As well, there is ips beyond, a resource for ipb owners where you can post specific questions regarding your perceived purchase and any other questions regarding this.

http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?act=idx

Good luck

:D

gogo

p.s. btw, I recommend the following site as the best resources available for forum admins around: