I haff been at fhe dentiffft today...

Aww...

well I ran away from the dentist for over one year now,

don't know how but I managed to (partly) intentionally 'forget' those last 2 routine-checks, one should allow the doc to make every 6 months..

inherited a certain common and quite good tooth-material from my ancestors - they all had shiny healthy teeth, made of good material - I was always very confident over the years that I wouldn't get into any troubles since I don't have very much bad teeth yet

(only a few smaller inlays.. I prefer plastic ones btw.. you always get problems with those metal ones)

however, with this in mind, I got more and more careless over the time,

stupid me thought I don't need to brush my 28 crunchers 3 times a day, also often forgot to 'flush' my teeth with pure water or tea after eating stuff that contains a lot of sugar..

so, everything went well for quite a long while, but as time passed by, I payed very less attention after a while..

and then, 3 month ago or so, it happened; it had to happen.. my own fault...:

I had this strange feeling whenever I was deeply breathing in cold air, drinking hot tea or slurping cold drinks... didn't realyl hurt, but it was this nasty, creepy feeling, quite unpleasant.. hard to describe.. but, you'll know what I mean if you had a small beginning cavity yourself too already..

this should have been already the final warning, but again.. I didn't payed much attention to it, still didn't thought that it might be high-time to pay my dentist of choice a visit..

so, it slowly got worse and 2 weeks ago or so, I finally felt a light pain for the first time, caused by one of my grinders, 7th tooth bottom-right...

and finally I realised that I acted really stupid and irresponsible, I really should have payed more attention, should have cared better for one of the most important human 'tools' and - damn it.. should have visited the doctor these 2 times a year for a small and (normally) painless routine-check...

so, end of the story is - I have now a provisional inlay, my dentist said I'll have to wait for the permanent filling for a few weeks, giving the tooth enough time to recover so he can see if it's only this one single cavity I felt... if not, then a root canal treatment might be indispensable..

I really hope I'll get away easily without greater complications once more this time,

because it would be no fun at all if he had to dissect the tooth's roots in order to treat it (maybe there is some kind of pyic inflammation somewhere)

I have a few friends and family-members who had already such treatment in the past, and I was told that these teeth could be real troublemakers then... first, I guess they aren't very strong anymore after that, and if the complete nerve is removed, you don't feel any new potential cavitys, and if it happens, it might affect surrounding teeth as well..

whatever, don't want to think about it anymore now, let's see what I'll get in 5 weeks - surprise !? :whistle: ^^

• 2 weeks later...

hahaha you dummy. kidding :)

Well actually, I am not.

hahaha :hugs: sorry .. I am kinda mean. Teeth are very expensive to maintain. In the long term, it is better to go to wherever you have been.

Also a good way to maintain them, is to floss them...food are often stuck and decomposed near the gums. I remember when my dentist pulled off my wisdom teeth, I had to take antibiotics...not because of the pain...but because I ate a lot (for real I did not feel any pain....I just ate lots, and the food got stuck in the hole.....) :o

Anyways...it sucks to be you :):lol: beer on me ;)

Awh Rotluchs. That's a real shame about your tooth. It's so easy to just ignore teeth and keep busy with other stuff in life instead. I really hope you won't have to have a root canal...

Good Luck! :3lmao:

• 5 weeks later...

results?

well, after I initally went to the doc, I got this temporary inlay...

in the following week, as 'luck' would have it, I lost an old plastic inlay (8years)...

from another tooth, while brushing my teeth ! (actually, while flossing them)

so, back to the doctor again, got just another temporary inlay..

now, on Wendnesday 2 days ago, I got the permanent inlay for the first tooth (down right)

you know, health-insurance and medical-standard in austria still isn't bad in general, on the contrary:

but still, even here it's getting worse these days*

so - my insurance doesn't completely cover up for those plastic inlays I always insist on,

and I had to pay 25€ (about 36 USD?) **

(**metal is too expensive, and the standard inlay the insurance would pay for is quite controversial: amalgam-dental filling could be toxic due to the mercury it contains)

last but not least, I had the doctor's assistant to take a fresh new panorama-X-ray because I wanted to see and talk about my wisdom teeth since I'm still missing 2 of them, but I have a kinda small problem of space in there

(those located on the lower jaw still haven't surfaced.. turned out the possibly never will, I glared at them on the new x-ray.. they're in a strange angular position, othere teeth are in their way)

All those dentist-sessions scared the hell out of me, think next time I won't wait until something feels wrong..

brushing and flossing like mad now, maybe next time I'll see him he won't have any bad news for me at all.

(*government is wasting all the money for stupid prestige-junk instead investing into important things like health-care, medical-system, education-system, etc

like in our town, just a small example: an insane new huge soccer/football stadium for the Euro2008 - for way more than 70mio €

the clue is, only a few stupid early-qualifying games take place here in Klagenfurt, and it's a pure soccer-arena, no multi-purpose stadium you could use for athletic sports events as well eg..

and after the Euro 2008 has ended, they will have to re-build it to a smaller size because running expenses would be too high over a longer period of time otherwise. stupid-stupid, just stupid)