Very rare enemy type specific voice lines.

So far, it seems that there are 2 enemy types that are barely present in the game as enemies, yet the characters have voice lines for when fighting them.

The 2 types are:

Priest - Nimonuil and very few other quest NPCs.

The good Dryads (different from Blood Dryads) - you only get to kill about 2 groups of them in the Shadow Campaign.

For both of those, my Shadow Warrior had specific comments. There are multiple "Priest" voice lines. And until today, I thought that both the good and blood dryads shared the voice lines, until I heard my Shadow Warrior utter this today when killing the main quest group of the good Dryads near Dyr-Laigh:

"Nature's blossoming doesn't interest me. I want to destroy!" I've never heard him say that for the Blood Dryads.

Seeing as there are a ton of voice lines one barely, if ever, gets to hear in the game, is there a way to listen to them out of the game? I've tried looking into the zips in the pak folder, but couldn't find the player character (or story campaign) voice lines, only creature and environment sounds. Are they baked into some other file? And if so, can they be extracted?

Edited by idbeholdME

There's also lots of "good" Dryads in the Ancestor's Chambers dungeons.

Look in the locale folder for your game.  Voiced lines are in the "speech" zip files.  Ogg files just like all the other sounds.  They're split away from the pak sounds because they are localization-dependent.

• Like! 1
On 4/22/2022 at 1:14 AM, Flix said:

There's also lots of "good" Dryads in the Ancestor's Chambers dungeons.

Look in the locale folder for your game.  Voiced lines are in the "speech" zip files.  Ogg files just like all the other sounds.  They're split away from the pak sounds because they are localization-dependent.

Thanks.

Wow. Why do the rarest enemy types have the most voice lines? :D The ones I pretty much never heard, ignoring the obvious multiplayer ones:

seraphim_shadowwarrior - probably for the seraphim after she kills the inquisitor near the end of the game? Does it work the same way as the other boss voice lines? Never heard it in game.

High Elf Guard (Probably the very few Elf Guards you get to kill in the Shadow version of the Shadow Warrior quest? Do other classes even get to fight any HE Guards?) - 12 various voice lines.

High Elf Priest (Nimonuil + a few quest NPCs) - 10 various voice lines.

Mage (I think there a few of them in a couple of side quests I think. Probably less than 3 in the entire game) - 5 various voice lines.

Giant (no idea what enemy is this type, is it even in the game?) - 5 various voice lines

enemytype_dist (archers) - haven't heard them at all. Probably intended for when archers are hitting you?

enemytype_humoutlaw - haven't ever heard them in game. Seems like it was intended for some subgroup of the human outlaws.

combatspe - probably unused, never heard them

busy - probably used in multiplayer?

bossmob - no idea what they were intended for, never heard them. Maybe originally meant for Elites?

bosslegion - is this a non-main quest boss voice line for general Terus for the Undead Legion quest chain? Does it work the same way as the other bosses?

bosstroll - same as above. Probably meant for Gahanka. Does it work the same way as the other bosses?

original_shadowwarrior - did the game have some sort of piracy prevention? Sounds funny. Wonder what the trigger for this one was. :D 

endmob_08 - approach voice line for Nimonuil. You will never hear it because the fight is triggered by a conversation.

Also, ignore the statement above about the Dryads. As luck would have it, of course I hear it pretty much the first thing on the next Blood Dryad :P, so no exclusivity there.

EDIT:

Personal rarity tier list (1 most common, 5 impossible to hear in game, MP is multiplayer voice lines). Going through the list of Shadow Warrior lines, not sure if other characters have any differences.

Spoiler

approachqloc - moving near a marked objective.

babble - a set of short AFK voice lines.

battlecry - combat grunts.

cancelmyidle - AFK voice lines

cantcarryanymore - full inventory

comeintotown - enter a large city (Thylisium or Griffinborough)

comeintovillage - enter smaller villages and settlements

enemyhitme - a multitude of generic voice lines that play when enemies land hits on you

enemytoostrong - when moving around enemies that are significantly higher level than you. Caused by survival bonus.

enemytypeanimal - plays when fighting animal type enemies. Very numerous throughout the entire game. You will hear all of them pretty fast.

enemytypedemon - plays when fighting demon type enemies. They are mostly a late game enemy type, but quite numerous and in several regions in the game.

enemytypeenergy - plays when fighting ghost type enemies. Present in some form in most regions, hearing these should not be an issue.

enemytypegnome - plays when fighting kobolds. Should be no issue hearing them all.

enemytypegoblin - plays when fighting goblins. Should be no issue hearing them all.

enemytypehuman - plays when fighting humans. Should be no issue hearing them all.

enemytypemonster - plays when fighting monsters. Should be no issue hearing them all.

enemytypeorc - plays when fighting orcs. Should be no issue hearing them all.

enemytypeundead - plays when fighting undead. Should be no issue hearing them all.

getnq - accepting a quest.

godcaupgrade - praying at a deity statue

hitenemy - a multitude of generic voice lines that play when you hit enemies.

killenemy - a multitude of generic voice lines that play when you kill enemies.

notmyitem - trying to equip an item of a different character.

notmyitemlvl - trying to equip an item of a too high level.

quest_# - these are the character voice lines for the main quest. Should play without issues. One important note - there are achievements for doing a first quest in a specific region. This usually means that the quest voice line will get interrupted by the achievementreached voice line. Had that happen a lot during the first playthrough but is a non-issue in any other.

questsolved - plays when completing a quest.

rejectnq - plays when refusing a quest.

startup - the character stories (good/bad) at the character creation screen.

statuebuff - using an experience statue

tenergyenter - walking into T-Energy puddles.

uniquefound - picking up a legendary/set item for the class you are currently playing.

enemyflees - when enemies run away when you are significantly higher level than them (white circles below them). Note that some mods remove the level caps from areas, meaning you might not ever hear these if you can't overlevel enemies. And one more thing - most enemies have "panicked" voice lines that play in this exact situation. They will scream in fear, beg for mercy, call for retreat etc. On top of that, the enemies have special animations for when they are "feared".

enemytooweak - when moving near enemies that are significantly below your level.

enemytypedesertman - plays when fighting the sand people in the desert. Present in only one region in the game, could take a bit before hearing them all.

enemytypedragon - plays when fighting dragon type enemies. Not that frequent enemy type so could take a bit before hearing them all. Note that though the Lizards share the Dragon typification in the game, they use different voice lines.

enemytyperider - plays when fighting mounted enemies. Can be reliably triggered by fighting boar riders (NE of Ruka is the best spot). Kobold Riders might be able to trigger them too, but not sure there.

regiontooweak - when you enter a significantly underlevelled area. Enemies probably have to have white circles under them.

rooted - contrary to the name, plays when you get stunned, not rooted. Requires an enemy capable of stunning you. Most common are probably the Elite turtles that shoot lightning.

enemytypedryad - plays when fighting dryad type enemies. They are present in only one region of the game and there is a large number of them, so will take some time before you hear all of them. Should not matter if it's a Blood Dryad or a normal Dryad.

enemytypelizardmen - plays when fighting lizardmen. The first ones you'll get to kill are probably in the Marigold Fields near the end of the Swamp. Fortunately, there are 2 islands in the jungle, which are entirely populated by wild lizards and trigger these voice lines. But still one of the tougher ones to hear all of.

enemytypetempleguard - plays when fighting temple guardians. Present only near the end of the game and the voice lines for them being quite numerous, it might be troublesome getting to hear them all in the game.

achievementreached - these play when you get one of the in-game achievements. You will hear them a lot at first, however, as you can only  get these once, chances are, you will only hear these for one character. As the number of achievements is limited, the only way to hear them all in game would be to periodically reset your achievements.

enemytypedist - plays when fighting archer/shooting type enemies. Uncertain on the exact trigger condition but they only play if you are using a melee weapon. Haven't heard them once on my ranged Shadow Warrior, but they do play on my melee Temple Guardian or Seraphim.

healing - plays when you heal to full from critical health. Heard it once, but triggering it seems really inconsistent.

endmob1-7 and 9 - getting close to a boss. Can be easily interrupted by apporachqloc, performing a Combat Art that makes a grunting sound or getting hit/hitting voice lines. Can be triggered by first baiting out the approachqloc voice line (slowly walk towards boss, wait until is starts playing and immediately back off) and then walking near the boss, making sure he doesn't hit you and you don't attack him until the line finishes, or you might interrupt it. Also requires voice line frequency in the options to be set to Always to make triggering this voice line reliable. The endmob8 voice line was for Nimonuil, but can never be heard in the game as the fight with him is triggered through a conversation. So that one will be in the category 5.

enemytypehelfguard - voice lines that play when fighting High Elf guards. However, they are probably the rarest enemy in the game. The only place you encounter a couple of them to kill is the Shadow path of the Shadow Warrior's class quest. There is a lot of voice lines for this enemy type and pretty much zero opportunity to ever hear them in game. Nearly impossible to hear, but not completely impossible, so going into this tier.

enemytypehelfpriest - another very rare enemy type. The only one you are guaranteed to encounter is Nimonuil near the end of the game and there is no chance you are going to hear all the voice lines just from fighting him. A couple more of priest enemies are scattered throughout some side/class quests. Not as impossible as High Elf guards, but still one of the rarest to hear.

enemytypemage - as far as I know, there is only a very small number of this enemy type present in a couple of side quests. The only one I can think of right now is Mage Garotha and his 2 female mage accomplices in the Artifact Theft quest. You will most likely not hear these but should theoretically be possible with enough luck.

regiontoostrong - plays when you enter a region significantly higher levelled than you. Probably requires for the enemies to have a dark purple circle under them. Seems very unlikely to get in single player unless you quickly rush through difficulties so that the enemy minimum level for the region is still significantly higher than your current level.

noarmor<damagetype> - Says that you have low armor against a damage type. I very recently acually heard these play in the game on Platinum difficulty. Probably triggered when hit by an attack that is mostly unaffected by the amount of armor you have against it.

nearlydead - plays when you hit critical health. Heard it exactly once so far. I was fighting Gahanka on Niobium and got hit by his stone. He hit me for about 17.2K damage out of my 19.8K health pool. So it's possible that it has to be one large hit that nearly kills you. Never heard it when the low health warning pops. It is either a lower health threshold than the warning or as said, require one massive hit that nearly kills you. Putting it in this category as the trigger conditions are not certain, but can play in the game.

tooheavy - seems like a voice line for when your regeneration penalty from armor reaches extreme levels. Never heard this one in the game. I got over 200%, but it still did not play. Might have to somehow get the regen penalty from armor all the way to 250%. Is that even possible? This is the highest I managed to get on a Seraphim without Armor Lore:

penalty.jpg.1bb1400ca14312b56666d730204aa18d.jpg

The voice line still did not play. Maybe some other class that has heavy armor pieces could reach 250% without Armor Lore? Maybe Shadow Warrior?

boss_troll - probably meant for Gahanka. Never heard it in game. Tried to trigger it by the same method as other bosses with no success.

bosslegion - probably meant for general Terus. Never heard it in game.

bossmob - never play in game. Probably originally intended for Elites.

combatspe - various grunts. Don't seem to be used in game.

endmob8 - Nimonuil boss approach voice line. Can never be heard in game because the fight with him is triggered by a conversation.

enemykillme - obviously meant for when an enemy kills you. However, I never heard a voice line for that. Could be because I rarely ever die, but haven't heard them yet, so putting it into this tier.

enemytypegiant - probably recorded for giant type enemies. As there are no enemies of this type in the game, you will never hear them.

enemytypehumoutlaw - probably meant for the outlaw subclass of humans. However, never plays in the game.

noweapon<damagetype> - Says that your weapon element is weak against the enemies. Probably plays when the vast majoiry of your attack damage is negated by the enemy armor. If this can trigger in the game, it's going to be extremely problematic to hear. Enemy armor is usually very low compared to your damage but it might be possible to trigger it if you take a level 1 normal weapon to Niob or something similar.

original - probably played when the game detected you were using a pirated version. No idea what would trigger it.

region<damagetype> - Says which element the enemies in the region use. I remember reading a couple of years ago that there are some Bronze specific "tutorial" voice lines. Could be these ones.

regionpacified - seems like it was supposed to be similar to Sacred 1 where if you solved all the quests in the area, the region would become "at peace" (there were voice lines for it in S1). Never heard these in the game, even when I did all the quests.

respawned - probably should play when you respawn at a monolith. Never heard it in game, but could be because I rarely die.

5. (SHADOW WARRIOR SPECIFC)

questsolved_01 - a strange voice line with a beeped out word. Never plays in the game. Says "Something BEEP. oops, where did that come from". Can't really understand the first word. Sounds like "four".

seraphimshadowwarrior - should probably play near the end of the Shadow campaign, where the Seraphim kills the Inquisitor and then attacks you. Never heard it in game.

MP

busy - probably when another character tried to interact with your character while you were trading or rummaging through stash or something which prevented them from interacting with you.

entergroup - probably joining a party in multiplayer.

notmyhorse - probably plays when clicking a different player's horse.

notmyspecialmount - probably plays when clicking a unique mount of a different character/player.

playerheal - probably plays when another player heals you.

playerkill - probably plays when you kill another player.

Please, feel free to add any notes, info, clarifications or personal experiences to this list.

Edited by idbeholdME

A similar list to the above for an enemy. Turns out that there are also a ton of voice lines you never hear in the game. Example enemy are Blood Dryads. Located in speech/f6.

IMPORTANT NOTE:

The voice line frequency in the options menu also affects the frequency that the enemies say their voice lines.

Spoiler

approch - coming near them. I think I've heard them in the game.

attackshout - plays when they start attacking you. Can be heard without issues.

bother - not sure when these are supposed to play. Never heard them.

death - play when you kill them. Note - death07 is in easter egg - "I'll be back..." in a very monotone voice :D 

disappointed - never heard it in game

fear - fear voice lines for when you are significantly higher level than them and moving near them

greeting - interesting for them to have a greeting voice line when you only ever get to fight the Blood Dryads, not talk with them.

hit - plays when they land a hit on you. Note - hit5 is in easter egg - "Die!... Hard!"

leave - another unused voice line, same as greeting.

no - just no. Not used in game.

order - these do play in the game, but not sure what triggers them

retreat - when they start running away from you. Can be caused by either being significantly higher leveled than them OR using gear with chance to fear.

screamattack - probably shares the pool with attackshout. Most likely the same trigger condition.

screamdeath - probably shares the pool with death. Most likely the same trigger condition.

screamretreat - probably shares the pool with retreat. Most likely the same trigger condition.

screamwounded - play when you damage them, but not kill them

suizide - a very interesting one. Most enemies seem to have these suicide voice lines recorded. However, no enemy in the game uses them (the only enemy that could potentially count as suiciding are the small seeker eyes in the Blood Forest).

surprise - another one that can't be heard in game. Wonder what the trigger conditions are. Might try using Shadow Veil while fighting them and see if it triggers

tauntall - does not play in the game. There are a ton of taunt voice lines. These are obviously meant as generic taunt voice lines meant for all characters.

tauntbad - does not play in the game. Taunts for characters playing the Shadow Campaign.

tauntdryade - does not play in the game. Taunts specifically directed at the Dryad.

tauntgood - does not play in the game. Taunts for characters playing the Light Campaign.

taunthighelven - does not play in the game. Taunts specifically directed at the High Elf.

tauntinquisitor - does not play in the game. Taunts specifically directed at the Inquisitor.

tauntseraphim - does not play in the game. Taunts specifically directed at the Seraphim.

tauntshadowwarrior - does not play in the game. Taunts specifically directed the at Shadow Warrior.

taunttempleguardian - does not play in the game. Taunts specifically directed the at Temple Guardian.

thanks - same category as greeting, leave and no. Never used

victory - probably plays when you die to them? Never heard in game.

wounded - probably shares the pool with screamwounded. Most likely the same trigger conditions.

yes - another one of the basic conversation ones. Never used in the game.

Many enemies have some quite funny ones too.

To see just how many voice lines a single enemy can have, check out dragon_female in speech/f3. I think that is the Dryad Island dragon? wounded8 though :nono:

Even enemies that are not present in the game at all have a full voice line set (135 files), like human_mage_female in speech/f3 or NPCs like civilians. It's a veritable gold mine. I don't think I've ever seen so much unused stuff in a game. I am honestly amazed by just how many voice lines have been recorded that you unfortunately never get to hear. Makes other games pale in comparison.

Think I'll spend the weekend listening to all the enemy voice lines. Already laughed several times just skimming through :D Especially the taunt lines have some good stuff in them. Even heard a swear word or two. "Spoiled bit**".

The sore loser here is of course the Dragon Mage. Being a DLC character, most enemies are simply missing a version of the voice lines for him.

Edited by idbeholdME