Sacred Ghost - Sacred is like an old Friend to me.  I Thank the Game and You for Being Here. 

About every two to three years, maybe about every five years...I stop by to say hello.  I've had several names, starting when Yahoo took my email address away and I had to punt. There's no one here who would know me, but I'm always very grateful to see some familiar names when I revisit the forum.  I don't know what a Gogoblender is, and hope I've spelled the name right, but this presence and others are a kind of warm mile marker for me.  You see, I've always loved Sacred.  I've always played Sacred. I've a shoe box somewhere, (we just moved again) filled with various builds I've compiled over the years as a resource to begin again.  My adult children laugh at this, though most of them also grew up playing Sacred. 

I have Sacred and Sacred 2 on the comp, and Sacred 2 on the old Xbox 360.  I started with dial-up internet and the original factory forum.  You don't know how long and how precarious all those patches were that Ascaron issued in the first couple years.  The download would take all night and in the morning when you checked, if any little thing went wrong, you had to start all over.  I'm almost 68 now, and I began with the Atari 5200 when I was in my twenties.  I was fascinated by gaming and knew it was the future. What other genre will eventually combine nearly every art discipline, and holds the promise of user interaction?  My oldest son started on Doom when he was just five.  All the predictions of his becoming a sociopath because of Doom did not bear out.  We moved onto Diablo.  Then Sacred, Bethesda Elder Scrolls, etc.  Every year or so it's time for Sacred again.  

I return because the game is great, and warm, and human.  I find peace and sometimes even a little joy playing. 

The mistakes I made in the early days would astound you.  We used to leave the runes laying on the ground if they weren't for our characters.  It was funny, the game actually maintained those scattered runes each time you returned.  I could look over a field of sparkling runes in the early morning.  Every return to the forum, I read new explanations of how damage was calculated, or various other factors, and observed what was written in stone in one era would change in another.  Not sure why that is, but the original game changed in route by the manufacturer, and changed again when it was crammed into Underworld.  You may not remember we actually lost a few quests when that happened.  There was a quest in Faeries Crossing, if I recall that right, (and the name of the town) where a NPC sent you to the undead cave just around the corner.  There was a quest given by a soldier in the right hand corner of the stockcade-like structure on the outskirts of Braverock that would take you to the forgotten archway and a cave just adjacent to the far left of the town.  Those are two I remember because I always played them. 

I could start a thread about bone-head mistakes I've made playing the game.  None of this was intuitive to me.  In the earliest days I often had unused skill points, not knowing what to do with them.  You folks are geniuses compared to me.  The analysis of the builds is incredible.  What a great formula Sacred game designers invented.  Surprisingly, I like Sacred a little better than number two, perhaps because of its simplicity, and maybe because its just a little warmer and friendlier to me.  I can't recall now if the Dryad's blowgun penetrated walls on the comp version of Sacred 2, or just on the Xbox, but was sad when it was 'corrected' on the Xbox 360 platform.  The plague was also modified so the game didn't crash.  I've crashed Sacred Underworld with the vamperic horde.  Sigh. Always intended to march north from the desert and destroy the ice elves.  

Sacred is like an old friend to me.  I thank the game and you for being here. 

• Appreciation 1
  • The title was changed to Sacred Ghost - Sacred is like an old Friend to me.  I Thank the Game and You for Being Here. 
On 1/16/2024 at 3:44 PM, munk said:

About every two to three years, maybe about every five years...I stop by to say hello.  I've had several names, starting when Yahoo took my email address away and I had to punt. There's no one here who would know me, but I'm always very grateful to see some familiar names when I revisit the forum.  I don't know what a Gogoblender is, and hope I've spelled the name right, but this presence and others are a kind of warm mile marker for me.  You see, I've always loved Sacred.  I've always played Sacred. I've a shoe box somewhere, (we just moved again) filled with various builds I've compiled over the years as a resource to begin again.  My adult children laugh at this, though most of them also grew up playing Sacred. 

I have Sacred and Sacred 2 on the comp, and Sacred 2 on the old Xbox 360.  I started with dial-up internet and the original factory forum.  You don't know how long and how precarious all those patches were that Ascaron issued in the first couple years.  The download would take all night and in the morning when you checked, if any little thing went wrong, you had to start all over.  I'm almost 68 now, and I began with the Atari 5200 when I was in my twenties.  I was fascinated by gaming and knew it was the future. What other genre will eventually combine nearly every art discipline, and holds the promise of user interaction?  My oldest son started on Doom when he was just five.  All the predictions of his becoming a sociopath because of Doom did not bear out.  We moved onto Diablo.  Then Sacred, Bethesda Elder Scrolls, etc.  Every year or so it's time for Sacred again.  

I return because the game is great, and warm, and human.  I find peace and sometimes even a little joy playing. 

The mistakes I made in the early days would astound you.  We used to leave the runes laying on the ground if they weren't for our characters.  It was funny, the game actually maintained those scattered runes each time you returned.  I could look over a field of sparkling runes in the early morning.  Every return to the forum, I read new explanations of how damage was calculated, or various other factors, and observed what was written in stone in one era would change in another.  Not sure why that is, but the original game changed in route by the manufacturer, and changed again when it was crammed into Underworld.  You may not remember we actually lost a few quests when that happened.  There was a quest in Faeries Crossing, if I recall that right, (and the name of the town) where a NPC sent you to the undead cave just around the corner.  There was a quest given by a soldier in the right hand corner of the stockcade-like structure on the outskirts of Braverock that would take you to the forgotten archway and a cave just adjacent to the far left of the town.  Those are two I remember because I always played them. 

I could start a thread about bone-head mistakes I've made playing the game.  None of this was intuitive to me.  In the earliest days I often had unused skill points, not knowing what to do with them.  You folks are geniuses compared to me.  The analysis of the builds is incredible.  What a great formula Sacred game designers invented.  Surprisingly, I like Sacred a little better than number two, perhaps because of its simplicity, and maybe because its just a little warmer and friendlier to me.  I can't recall now if the Dryad's blowgun penetrated walls on the comp version of Sacred 2, or just on the Xbox, but was sad when it was 'corrected' on the Xbox 360 platform.  The plague was also modified so the game didn't crash.  I've crashed Sacred Underworld with the vamperic horde.  Sigh. Always intended to march north from the desert and destroy the ice elves.  

Sacred is like an old friend to me.  I thank the game and you for being here. 

Thanks for being so on point about EVERYTHING this game is about.  It was one of the first really extravagant MP's out there...and at the same time it had a HUGE world, and... unlocked... who would have dared !  *gasp*  And so because it was all new ...the people we met online... well... they got to be good ooooold friends, and since the community was always kind, and gentle, and thoughtful, that gift economy sprung up... and that blizzard way of running things where it was perhaps more cut throat didnt manifest ... Sacred just floating more and more towards being nicer and nicer... and those nice folks all contributed guides, built one of the worlds largest game wikis (Hundreds of people ^^), started posting pictures of themselves online before Facebook became a thing, and then oh, glory of glories... starting a cooking section! DarkMatters then...had come upon the universal secret of video games... where theres food, there will be kindness :heart:

Thank you old friend Munk for being a friend to us. 

From here, we can go anywhere

:hugs:

gogo