Is it normal that my Dryad's scorpion summon sometimes just takes a break? (Xbox)

This is an odd one for me as I've never actually played with Moribundus Animus before. 

On the Xbox version of the game, whenever I'm in a fight, my scorpion summon will do his usual snippidy-sneggedy there goes your leggedy, but then he'll just stop for no reason and start to wander around aimlessly for a good five seconds. Then, out of nowhere, he'll jump back into the battle like nothing happened. Is this normal? Is my scorpion dumb? 

Re-summoning him and restarting the game doesn't seem to change this bizarre behaviour. 

Thank you! 

Edited by BingBongHallo
Grammar
  • Like! 1
  • The title was changed to Is it normal that my Dryad's scorpion summon sometimes just takes a break? (Xbox)

I'm afraid it' a built-in issue with how the AI works in the game. Enemies sometimes suffer from it too. Especially if an NPC is trying to attack a moving target.

You can somewhat get around it by commanding the summons to attack manually, but you're out of luck on console.

Edited by idbeholdME
  • Appreciation 1
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, idbeholdME said:

I'm afraid it' a built-in issue with how the AI works in the game. Enemies sometimes suffer from it too. Especially if an NPC is trying to attack a moving target.

You can somewhat get around it by commanding the summons to attack manually, but you're out of luck on console.

Ah, I see. Thank you. I really appreciate the info. I'm glad it's not just a me thing. 

It's not a huge problem. Just a little annoying when there's a boss and my scorpion walks off. 😂

I've found if I stand still, the summon tends to work better. 

Edited by BingBongHallo
  • Like! 1

hey guys!

I remember this build for my Dryad! She was absolutely the most challenging of her different variations...but the voodoo dryads pagenatry and colors always made me smile... and so I thought she was sentenced to a life of slow sufering until someone gave me ( online in those days on the closed servers) a YELLOW LEGENDARY SCORPION...yah! 

I had not idea that the highest level of shrunken heads, legendary, could turn the scorpion into the quickest, most violent pet I could have imagine, and with that small gift I was able to tunnel upwards into the levels with all the different summons possible.

BingBong, how did you happen upon the choice of  scorpion...was it info you read to go for that one? and is your Scorpion what level? Theres a few colors of differing strengths correct?

:)

gogo

ps regarding those moments when the scorpion would stop attacking, I think I just reset the attack button and ran away at the same time till he looked like he was hungry again :lol: :oooo: 

• Haha 1
14 hours ago, BingBongHallo said:

Ah, I see. Thank you. I really appreciate the info. I'm glad it's not just a me thing. 

It's not a huge problem. Just a little annoying when there's a boss and my scorpion walks off. 😂

I've found if I stand still, the summon tends to work better. 

Yep. If any NPC attacks something for a longer period without moving (say 5 seconds or longer, the AI is quite likely to drop whatever it's doing and just idle around for a few seconds, before starting acting again.

For summons, standing still is definitely better, because then the AI only has to bother about attacking targets in range. If you are moving, it also has to constantly ensure it is within the leash range of your character (customizable on PC) and moving into the leash range if it is not, preventing it from attacking.

If I remember correctly the finer summon controls where you can tell it what to attack, were introduced in Ice&Blood.

Edited by idbeholdME
  • Appreciation 1
15 hours ago, Hooyaah said:

Unfortunately, I never developed a dryad to a high level with which I was well pleased. However, I have developed and perfected a remarkable High Elf Build that works well with even "yellow" (rare) armor purchased from Merchants and Blacksmiths and augmented by rare jewelry also purchased from Merchants (and Rune-masters).:Laie_34:

Keep up the great work, Jimmy!

:resp:

Good to hear! 

This particular summon bug is making me reconsider a summon build to be fair. 

• Like! 1