Heavy sigh....time to say goodbye.

Silearth

Well the experiment is over and I just couldn't completly cut the M$ cord.

No sacred, Can't play sacred and I can't play sacred. Can't watch DVD's on the computer. I am on the spare computer now because I am formatting the drive on my main box in preperation for the return of XP. Firefox, Thunderbird, Openoffice and Gimp will be coming with me.

I still have three weeks left on my 30 day trial of writer's cafe--the best product of its type that I have ever used and I'm not sure if there is a windows alternative. I'll manage without it, though.

Now this isn't goodbye to Ubuntu. The latest version will be out in a week and I'll be installing it as a dual boot. This time I'll leave out the Compiz-Fusion and it's fancy eftects. Windows for gaming and Linux for writing.

hb sil and gl on the reformat/reinstall ...

Smooth as silk. Now I'm installing 100 updates and perhaps next week I'll install Sacred again.

Ah well. Can't say you didn't try Sil. A worthy effort for sure. I'll be trying it out again upon that new release. Still itching to cut the cord here as well. :D So close though. Ubuntu is sooo close to a perfect alternative OS.

As I use my pc mainly for games I am pretty well stuck with M$ windoze. :)

At least you gave it a good go Silearth :D

Unfortunately even with all its downfalls windoze is still pretty much a necessity these days.

stubbs

And just to say "Welcome back", once I had all my drivers installed I was greeted by the gray screen of....uh...stuckness. For those who haven't seen this, your load screen is shown at super-low contrast and the computer is frozen. If you boot into safe mode you will see that the last thing to load is MUP.sys and then everything grinds to a halt.

Oh the joys of windows.

Anyway--had it before and it was related to my CDRW and DVD-ROM. This time it was fixed by using system restore and then re-installing the Nforce drivers.

As I said, the joys of windows....welcome home.

Much respect here for going so far to make this work Silearth. It's too bad it couldnt happen, but... I know you're determined... we'll see linux on your comp yet.

:D

gogo