AVG Anti-Virus 8.0

bhj

It is just a new look?

I hate to upgrade just for a supposedly all new version, anyway is it stable? Any false positive like it did with the last one?

I have the paid version, had a lot of troubles a couple of months a go, as in memory hogging, but it seems to have settled now. I am not sure of the free version though, but they normally only release the free version when all the kinks have been sorted out.

Edited by Funkilicious

You pretty much get what you pay for with AV programs.

So as the cost is free, you really shouldnt expect too much :viking:

Besides you want to know the best free AV program out there?

Simple..........disconnect your modem :drinks:

stubbs

• 6 months later...

AVG virus scanner removes critical Windows file

An update for the AVG virus scanner released yesterday contained an incorrect virus signature, which led it to think user32.dll contained the Trojan Horses PSW.Banker4.APSA or Generic9TBN. AVG then recommended deleting this file; this causes the affected systems to either stop booting or go into a continuous reboot cycle. So far, the problem only appears to affect Windows XP, but there is no guarantee that other versions of Windows don’t have the same issue.

avg_user32_dll.png

Both AVG 7.5 and AVG 8.0 were affected by the update; a revised signature database has just been published that corrects this issue. People that have removed the user32.dll can either boot from their original Windows CD and choose the repair option, or use another CD to boot from and restore the file from C:\Windows\System32\dllcache. If you happen to need a bootable CD: my personal favorite is the Ultimate Boot CD (mirror of UBCD 4.1.1 ISO).

AVG claims to have approximately 80 million users worldwide; there is no official reaction on the AVG website yet, but FAQ item 1574 in their support section covers a “False positive user32.dll” and offers some advice on restoring your system using the Windows Recovery Console.

AVG’s popularity stems mainly from the free version they offer for home users; if you’re looking for an alternative free virus scanner for Windows I highly recommend Avast!. ClamWin is another alternative; it’s a Windows port of the popular Linux scanner ClamAV.

Update: AVG has responded on their forum, but there is no press release or other info on their main website yet, other than the info in their FAQ. The response in the forum:

Unfortunately, the previous virus database might have detected the

mentioned virus on legitimate files. We can confirm that it was a

false alarm. We have immediately released a new virus update

(270.9.0/1778) that removes the false positive detection on this file.

Please update your AVG and check your files again.

[...]

We are sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your help.

Update 2: According to comments at ghacks users of AVG version 7.5 might have an easier alternative: reboot in safe mode and disable the scanner, then update to the latest version.

Update 3: A reader suggested Avira as another alternative free virus scanner; Ive never heard of it, but you can check it out here. And of course, if your virus scanner should ever detect a file that looks to you like a false positive, head over to virustotal.com and submit it to all major virus scanners at once

Awwww.....That's exactly the problem I got yesterday. I made a System Restore and got some problems with Sacred 2, as mentionned HERE.

This problem happened right when I booted my computer. If I had taken the time to come here and read this, none of this would have happened.

Now I'm mad.... :P

EDIT : My friend also got that problem the day before I had it. I thought he sent me a virus via MSN, now I'm calling him right now to tell him about this.

When I think that he spent about $150 to get rid of this. (He bought Vista and some RAM)

Max

Edited by metal_max64

I used the free version of AVG for some time with no problems. A few months back, something prompted me to change--just don't remember what it was. Now I'm using the free version of Avast!.