Prius to go (partially) solar

FdmNews

Filed under: Transportation

solar-prius.jpg

According to Nikkei, Toyota's apparently going to be equipping future high-end Priuses with Kyocera-built roof-mounted solar panels. Somewhat counterintuitively, the sun's rays won't be used to power the car itself, but will instead run the AC. It also sounds like your next solar-assisted Prius won't be around for a while, as the panels aren't designed in yet, nor will they be until early next year when Toyota starts work on revamping the line.

View the full article

wow

stuff like really makes me believe that there's an efficient future without using up and burning oil.

Way to go Toyota!

Not a bad looking care either

:sweating:

gogo

The Prius was on a british TV show (Top Gear) the other night and they raced it round a track against a 3.0 petrol BMW. All the BMW had to do was keep up with the Prius. The BMW returned better MPG. It proves that it doesn't matter what you drive it's HOW you drive it :lol:

TBH a small engined diesel car over here is better than the Prius. WE get 60mpg+ from our 1.5 turbo diesel and very low emmisions. The prius is not the great car it's made out to be :P

don't know about electric for me. diesel does sound promising for cars, sort of jealous that the europeans get alot better technology than the states but it is moving over the pond nicely. but for my truck will stick to my dodge truck with i6-5.9L, 35in tires, twin turbos and 700+ rhwp. still gets 18-20mpg if I drive like a sane person. I put about 3k miles a month for work, but a prius might get stuck in ruts on rig roads.