Carrot & almond loaf

3 to 4 ozs / 75-100g flaked almonds (to taste, we used the lower quantity the recipe gave the higher)

1 medium onion, peeled and sliced (we used White Onions – see Onion thread for translation to your own terminology)

2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped

6 ozs / 150g fresh breadcrumbs (the recipe said 10 oz ,but we find 6 sufficient)

8 ozs / 225g carrots, peeled and grated

2 eggs, beaten

juice of 1 lemon

1 tablesp chopped parsley

1 teasp grated nutmeg

salt

freshly ground black pepper

- put almonds in a pan and dry-fry for a few minutes, shaking frequently. Remove from pan

- Melt marg in pan & fry onions & garlic 5 mins till soft

- In a large bowl, combine bread crumbs, carrots and toasted almonds.

- Add onions & garlic, stir well

- Add beaten eggs, lemon juice, parsley & nutmeg, salt & pepper to taste. Mix well

- Add a little water if more liquid is required (!:))

- Spoon mixture into a greased 1lb/450g loaf tin and bake in preheated oven, 400F/200C? Gas mark 6, for 45 mins or till a skewer, fork, sharp knife inserted in centre comes out clean.

Slight snag…you try putting this lot into a 1lb loaf tin!

And Viv looked at it in the oven from time to time and thought it looked too dry, so flicked a sprinkle of water over it each time!!

But the result was brilliant

It recommended a ‘tomato sauce, and broccoli, green beans or courgettes or fresh green salad. We opted out on the veg. We also found the ‘tomato sauce’ which was a fairly basic pizza sauce of tomato, onion and garlic too sweet for the loaf. Needed something sharper, even gravy!

So we leave you to experiment with sauces. Let us know when you find one you think suitable.

Sorry no photo. I never know what is coming up, and by the time I realise it's good stuff it's all gone - and the camera is never handy. Very badly organised, but there you are.

Is something missing from that recipe? putting it all together into a pan? Doesn't there need to be dough if its a Carrot and Almond Loaf?

I"m a big fan of carrot cake, muffins and loaves. My aunt makes one with pineapples in it. Took me off guard. I used to be in the desert business for years, and I've had my share of great ones, with the best cream cheese icing imaginable. The pineapples she had added aided greatly with the moisture of the carrot cake. Carrot deserts are sometimes a bit too dry for my taste, but my aunt completely surprised us.

Looks like hers has competition with yours, Bond

:P

gogo

Is something missing from that recipe? putting it all together into a pan? Doesn't there need to be dough if its a Carrot and Almond Loaf?

Nope. The 'pan' is a bread tin - don't know what you call it:

LoafTin002.jpg

In fact we used a larger "glass" ovenware version:

LoafPan001.jpg

Like 'meat loaf' it's called a loaf cos it's done in that form.

It is the egg that binds it (fairly loosely). Not as firm as meat loaf, it is a bit crumbly, but it does slice, roughly.

Also Gogo ... correction. It is not a cake or desert but a vegetarian main course. Though not a vegetarian, I found it satisfying as a main course, and I usually find veggie dishes a bit mushy.

Carrot cake is another ball-game altogether. Viv makes a good one, but I suspect that has already been covered in this forum.

Found a remnant. Just the butt end of the loaf. Doesn't look too appetizing sitting on top of the bin but it shows that it holds together

CarrotLoaf002.jpg

NB I trimmed this photo carefully in photobucket but you are getting bin, rake, drain pipe, mop as bonuses!

Edited by Bondbug