Newbie here - what does the trading skill do?

Hey guys,

I just started playing a battle mage. Going with the fireball lighting aproach.

I've been reading through these forums about the trading skill and how important it is.

Why is it important?

is it important in SP?

does it do anything but lower merchant prices?

how much of an advantage to you get from lower merchant prices?

people are saying put at least 50 in it.

why so many?

all these things

if anyone can help me out, please tell me what is up with this trading skill

also, what is the best way to transfer items to and from different single player characters?

Thanks!

Calleas

First I'd like to welcome you here, at DarkMatters! :P

Okey, well.

-Trading skill is important, because it has effect in the quality of the items you can buy at merchants. If you have higher and higher trading skill, you'll find better and better items at shops. Although you won't find any Sets, or Uniques.

-It IS important in SP too, because buying good items can help everywhere. (True, you can find good items by drops too, if you hunt enemies,

but it would take muuuuch longer.)

-It has no effect in prices. It has effect only on the items merchants offer. The Charisma attribute has effect on the prices.

-I say to keep that skill always as high as your level. At every level up put 1 point in it, and then you'll always get the best items from shops.

Also you can/should find a "trading gear" which highly increase your trading skill. Like put +1 to all skills amulets to armor that has 4 socket. That way you'll get pretty cool items.

If you want a really good trader, make a dwarf. Dwarves has set items that gives high bonus to trading skill. Although a battle mage can do the job too.

Transferring items between SP characters has only 1 way I know about. (There should be an other way too though...)

Start game-->Local Network-->make a server-->drop down the items-->save game-->enter game with other toon-->load the save-->take the item.

Long time since I last played SP but I think thats the way to.

If you have any more question free feel to ask, or check the links below:

SacredWiki

Wolfe's-Lair

Edited by tomi

First off, welcome to Darkmatters, Calleas!

Trading skill is powerful, takes some skill to use, and is very useful, especially in MP. Trading allows you to consolidate more of your mods , damage and abilities into fewer sockets and pieces. At high levels this is especially important. It's more about tweaking and putting finnesse into your build.

Trading allows you to buy socketables, for example, with more mods per unit quicker than if you were having to depend on drops. The most important thing with trading is to put together a trading suit. This would be a suit that is socketed with ammies that have plusses to trading. Of coruse, these ammies are one of the most expensive things in Sacred. But righfully so. They allow you to increase your trading ability to it's max. So the way to go about this is...to always max out your trading with a trading toon as high as you can. Then depend on your suit to get you the extra points needed to max out the trading you have when dealing with the traders. As your level increase, the trading per ammy will increase as well. Make sure you keep the suit in your inventory, and keep adding to it as you keep trading with higher levels.

With trading, you can buy great weapon, armor and shield pieces with lots of sockets and that have huge plusses to your Combat Arts. With pieces like this, you can cast your Combat Arts high, while regenning them low.

There's a guide here about how trading affects your ability to consolidate mods/time here:

http://darkmatters.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3538

And if you're interested in doing trading between toons in sp, you can use Prism's guide for SP here:

http://darkmatters.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=453

Also, if you want more general guides on Sacred, there is a section of our forum that has an index of all guides contributed by players over the last five years...more than a hundred here:

http://darkmatters.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=4706

Hope all this helps.

Ask more questions if you need, we have a lot of great players around who all have great info.

Cheers!

:P

gogo