Anyone know how Ancient Magic's lvl 75 bonus works?

I'm debating getting Ancient Magic for my Astral Lord/Mal Champ SW and am wondering if that resist minus works for ALL Combat Arts and not just the few "spells" he has (Skeletal Guardian, Belligerent Vault ***NOT Spectral Hand, not a spell and I don't think tactics affects it :bow: ) Just wondering if it'd do anything at all for me. So far this build is going wickedly, may post my build if it keeps working :oooo: I'd love to do that later for ye guys.

I'm debating getting Ancient Magic for my Astral Lord/Mal Champ SW and am wondering if that resist minus works for ALL Combat Arts and not just the few "spells" he has (Skeletal Guardian, Belligerent Vault ***NOT Spectral Hand, not a spell and I don't think tactics affects it :bow: ) Just wondering if it'd do anything at all for me. So far this build is going wickedly, may post my build if it keeps working :oooo: I'd love to do that later for ye guys.

From the skill description, I would say only spells.

"Increases damage for non-weapon based Combat Arts and reduces the opponent's spell resistance. "

You'll see that 1-74 only increases damage. And that unlike Diablo 2, enemies do not have immunities (well, as far as I know).

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bring back such an old post...but does anyone know if the Ancient Magic mastery works only on the elemental portions of spells (ice/fire/poison/magic) or also the physical aspects as well? For example, if I use Glacial Thorns, will only the ice damage be benefited, or also its physical damage as well? Thanks.

I also have a question about how the Mastery bonus works. on my HE I took the Crystal skin mod that decreases enemies resistance to ice. It actually acts by increasing Ice Damage. So will AM Mastery work by further boosting all damage? or will it actually decrease the enemies resistances?

I am at level 104 and AM mastery is my next skill to master. I will check all my stats before and after I hit the 75th point.

I also have a question about how the Mastery bonus works. on my HE I took the Crystal skin mod that decreases enemies resistance to ice. It actually acts by increasing Ice Damage. So will AM Mastery work by further boosting all damage? or will it actually decrease the enemies resistances?

I am at level 104 and AM mastery is my next skill to master. I will check all my stats before and after I hit the 75th point.

It should just increase the ice damage.

enemies do not have immunities (well, as far as I know).

There are immunities in later difficulties. Mainly Niobium, or w/e this ones highest diff is, plat?

Especially some bosses like the elemental ones (the 'lords' or w/e they are).

Is this just something that was implemented poorly? Since I had the prior understanding that it worked by reducing resistances/armor, not directly increasing damage.

"Although it is not clearly documented or displayed, Ancient Magic Mastery's effect seems to cause a percentage decrease in a target's global armor against each of the 5 types of damage. This will allow a character to do increased damage (up to the theoretical maximum allowed by the Combat Art's current level and mods) because there is less armor to decrease the amount of damage."

Is this just something that was implemented poorly? Since I had the prior understanding that it worked by reducing resistances/armor, not directly increasing damage.

"Although it is not clearly documented or displayed, Ancient Magic Mastery's effect seems to cause a percentage decrease in a target's global armor against each of the 5 types of damage. This will allow a character to do increased damage (up to the theoretical maximum allowed by the Combat Art's current level and mods) because there is less armor to decrease the amount of damage."

I read the same, but what shows up in the sigma may be damage. I will have to test to find out.

So the belief is that Ancient Magic mastery removes ALL armor? I was thinking it was only elemental. Now I need to try and fit it in..

Edited by claudius