OK I told you I would have questions like this

I could have sworn that once I took one of my single player characters into a free game on open net and got all kinds of neat stuff; even completed a quest and got over 2 million in gold as a reward. I picked up several set pieces too. This option doesn't seem to be available to me now. Was it some kind of fluke?

Here's another one; when I go to open net and only see 3 games going none of which I can join, I try to create one. It is asking me for a server. I assume you just pick a name? I did that, I tried several. There is a port number already in place so when click on create I get a "port not found" error. Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong? I have no trouble creating a game on closed net, I just picked a name and was able to create a game. Of course it does not ask for a port. Thanks.

on open net when you create a server you maked the server on your computer and most likely your firewall is trying to block it.

you need to let port 7011 (the default open net port) and.. I think 6800 or 6900 trough your fire wall and... errr I dont remember to much.. havent played open since sacred plus :devil:

That's kinda strange about your SP character not being able to reach an Open server bhall. I can't try it myself at the moment but I would have assumed based on Sacred 1 that this would be possible. Ascaron has changed quite a lot though with Sacred 2 so is hard to say. I definitely plan to be doing exactly as you tried so when I do I'll update here. Erling and trust make god points and it's very likely that pc security may be preventing you.

Do you use a router and Firewall? As a test I would suggest disabling firewall/antivirus and see if you can port forward the number displayed when you try to create a server in game. :D