IRC Channel for Wiki discussion?

I was wondering, if there was an IRC channel where you can discuss current projects you are working on in the wiki or get second opinions from others without posting in the forum, as that would be much faster. If you don't know, what IRC is... it is a easy to use chatting platform, for more information google it :D.

I am constantly online (when I am at home :o) on QuakeNet (irc.quakenet.org) and GameSurge (irc.gamesurge.net) as pugi, but I could also join more networks :).

Could work, although I suspect we'd have to teach gogo and schot how to use it.

Not sure which server would work best, because I haven't used it much except for specific site-related chats.

I was wondering, if there was an IRC channel where you can discuss current projects you are working on in the wiki or get second opinions from others without posting in the forum, as that would be much faster. If you don't know, what IRC is... it is a easy to use chatting platform, for more information google it :P.

I am constantly online (when I am at home :)) on QuakeNet (irc.quakenet.org) and GameSurge (irc.gamesurge.net) as pugi, but I could also join more networks :).

IRC is cool. A few years go here we used to have a number DarkMatters hosted IRC chat rooms when another community called Spawn joined up with us with a great bunch of peeps from Australia, and they were predominantly a IRC chat room group. They did have a forum, but the IRC for them was their main focus...their forum was deserted and so we all used ours here at DarkMatters as a way of keeping others informed, documenting actions, questions and data.

I mostly use msn these days as a way of covering information quickly and addressing urgencies. The last IRC chatroom we had was when Clan D.a.r.k launched a massive attack against a huge turtled planet in Ogame and required more "real time" than regular forum posts allow.

I think that for the German Sacred Wiki they were offering an IRC chatroom for a while as well, and it was probably great for energy, morale and quick communications. I'm not sure how much it helped their wiki, however, as English SacredWiki has outdistanced all the other other wikis and sacred fanstites with the amount of content now posted by communities.

The posts here offer documentation, validation, and most importantly a history of work achieved, good discovery and provide credibility for the site which in turns draws more contributors. A lot of help from the wiki comes from pms sent to folks on the SIF that would look like they're interested and then showing them a thread where work is being done.

I think that an IRC could be useful regarding specific projects especially those where "energy" and "morale" from knowing that someone else is listening to you in real time could be advantageous, however I'm so busy with pms, posts, wiki, and playing that I'm afraid a chatroom would be of little use to me unless it was of some urgency.

If someone was to get one going, a trip every now and then could be fun of course ^^

:)

gogo

• 4 weeks later...

I was just pointed at this thread while in my Sacred chatroom :D

I opened it for the first time on Friday night so only 3 or 4 of us in there at any time so far. It's a very quiet server but allows acess through both Java and IRC client. Another nice thing is the channel is permanent so doesn't close if empty.

JAVA access: http://irc.stelivo.com:8000/?room=sacred

IRC Client: server irc.stelivo.com port 6667 channel #sacred

A loooong time ago I worked for an ISP on their IRC Server as a server mod but although I am happy to sit in the new channel when I can help would be appreciated. Obviously I can't just grant mod to every begger that passes through but if you want to help out you can send me a message here with a note about what experience you have as acting as a mod in the past.

As I said the channel is quiet so I hope you will come by soon.