Question Regarding Certain Unused/Mysterious Sound Files

**** As with my post regarding the drop mechanics, if anyone else has made a similar post regarding the unused sound files for the game, please delete this post. I just haven't seen anyone bring up a topic regarding the sound files, so I'm under the assumption that I've stumbled upon something new/interesting ****

While I was making a reply to the thread concerning easter eggs/pop culture references in Sacred 2, I decided to rip open the sound files for the game and find all of the Star Wars jokes that the Inquisitor makes. However, as I was going through his sound clips, I found a few oddities:

"Region Observation Sounds"

- The Inquisitor has several sound files that pertain to the regions he is in. "The opponents in this region mostly use fire damage weapons" - maybe it's just me, but I've never had any of my characters make this kind of comment in game during any of the patch iterations. Does anyone know anything more about this?

"Region Pacification Sounds"

- The Inquisitor also has several sound clips that are labeled "Region_Pacified_01". One of them sounds like this - "All of the heretics in this region have been dealt with".

I've never heard him say this, EVER. Are these "pacify" sound clips supposed to be played when we've done all of the quests in a region? This reminds me of something from Sacred 1, but I'm not 100% sure if this is the same thing... anyone happen to know anything more about this as well?

*Note - The "Region_Pacified" clips are NOT the same as the ones that are played when you are over-leveled. THOSE clips are called "Region_tooweak".

"God Statue = Divine Gift Power Up?"

- The sound files that are used when the Inquisitor prays at a Ker statue are called "GodCAUpgrade_01" and "GodCAUpgrade_02".

I guess you can infer what those God statues are really doing (or what they are supposed to do).

"Unfinished Endgame Quests?"

- The Inquisitor has a sound file where he is greeting the "last Seraphim alive", and remarking about how he looks forward to killing her. I've never run across him saying this anywhere in game, but I also haven't played the entire single player campaign with the Inquisitor. Has anyone encountered him saying this spiel?

If no, then it's possible that it's something that hasn't been used yet...

NOTE: There are similar oddities in everyone else's sound files; I'm just using the Inquisitor as my primary example.

Edited by Cthulhu

No, I've found a ton of sound files that I have no idea what they're for. For example, the energy pistol has a number of "miss" sounds that I've never heard in game. There are also a ton of NPC faction-based quotes, no idea what those are for. And the heroes have quotes like "my fire based weapon isn't very effective here." They also have a few "busy" quotes ("no time for that") that I've never heard.

Tons of stuff that I haven't encountered in game.

Note that I have heard my Seraphim say "This area seems peaceful" -- but that Seraphim hadn't done all quests in the area, and I don't remember what level she was (but it happened when she zoned into Sloeford).

Random note about the sound files: I'm amused that the Kobolds are referred to as Gnomes in the sound file titles. But it seems like some details changed at some point, so it doesn't surprise me that some sound files aren't used.

- The Inquisitor also has several sound clips that are labeled "Region_Pacified_01". One of them sounds like this - "All of the heretics in this region have been dealt with".

I've never heard him say this, EVER. Are these "pacify" sound clips supposed to be played when we've done all of the quests in a region? This reminds me of something from Sacred 1, but I'm not 100% sure if this is the same thing... anyone happen to know anything more about this as well?

I've already heard it, but in french loca. I haven't any tips about why my Inquisitor said it though.

"God Statue = Divine Gift Power Up?"

- The sound files that are used when the Inquisitor prays at a Ker statue are called "GodCAUpgrade_01" and "GodCAUpgrade_02".

I guess you can infer what those God statues are really doing (or what they are supposed to do).

In previous version of the game, the gods statues were powering up the level of the godspell, it's not the case anymore, but the name have remained I guess. :D

- The Inquisitor has a sound file where he is greeting the "last Seraphim alive", and remarking about how he looks forward to killing her. I've never run across him saying this anywhere in game, but I also haven't played the entire single player campaign with the Inquisitor. Has anyone encountered him saying this spiel?

In the great machine you have to fight a seraphim on a bridge. Maybe it's this one. However it's not the last seraphim alive. There is still plenty of them on seraphim island (like sophia)

Maybe it's a project that have been canceled, something regarding the Fallen Angel or something.

"Region Observation Sounds"

- The Inquisitor has several sound files that pertain to the regions he is in. "The opponents in this region mostly use fire damage weapons" - maybe it's just me, but I've never had any of my characters make this kind of comment in game during any of the patch iterations. Does anyone know anything more about this?

This one I'd guess is related to a similar phrase spoken; "My resistance to fire damage is too low". Or something to that effect. I've not heard the one you quote but then I never play Inquisitor either. I wonder if it could be specific to the Northern Dyr-Laigh area where Blood Dryads are found. Or maybe Carnach Cave?

*Note - The "Region_Pacified" clips are NOT the same as the ones that are played when you are over-leveled. THOSE clips are called "Region_tooweak".

I think it may in fact be the same as what you're thinking regarding S1. Region Peace. I'm fairly certain I've heard this mentioned before regarding Sacred 2. I'll dig a bit and see.

NOTE: There are similar oddities in everyone else's sound files; I'm just using the Inquisitor as my primary example.

I was thinking the same as Stephane for this one. Seraphim on the bridge near the end of story line.

Thanks for the responses...

-------------------------------------

Schot -

Permitting you don't have to refer to anything that your EULA might prevent you from mentioning, I'm interested to know if "Region Peace" is something that's either bugged and not working or is just unfinished in 2.34.

This one I'd guess is related to a similar phrase spoken; "My resistance to fire damage is too low". Or something to that effect. I've not heard the one you quote but then I never play Inquisitor either. I wonder if it could be specific to the Northern Dyr-Laigh area where Blood Dryads are found. Or maybe Carnach Cave?

No, those sound files are of a different category (the sounds that get played when you take a hit that you are weak against). Interesting note on these sounds - ATM the game is messed up and it uses the damage channel of one of the weapons you have equipped, and not the monster's damage channel. I'm pretty sure you've heard about this one... but thought it was kind of funny, so decided to bring it up here.

-----------------------------------------

Stephanie -

As for the sound file regarding the Seraphim at the end of the game, I was thinking that's what the sound was referring to... but as you pointed out Stephanie, it seems odd that the Inquisitor would say that since there are obviously other Seraphim still alive at that point in the game. That's why I think it might be part of the Shadow Campaign that hasn't been fleshed out or just scrapped altogether. A shame, if it was... it makes me wonder if the Inquisitor was supposed to fight Sophia instead of the Grand Inquisitor.

---------------------------------------------

Schot & Stephanie -

God Spells/Statues - I've been under the impression that the god statues are bugged ATM, due to the way that some of them don't even do anything when you click on them. Did they intentionally remove the statues being able to power up the Divine Gift? If so, I don't see much point in having all of these god statues that are blatantly hidden throughout Ancaria... makes them kind of boring. :..(

I guess that's something we'll find more about whenever the next update comes. Regardless, thanks for answering my questions.

Edited by Cthulhu

There is no I in my name :P

S T E P H A N E :)

eheh :P

Stephanie -

As for the sound file regarding the Seraphim at the end of the game, I was thinking that's what the sound was referring to... but as you pointed out Stephanie, it seems odd that the Inquisitor would say that since there are obviously other Seraphim still alive at that point in the game. That's why I think it might be part of the Shadow Campaign that hasn't been fleshed out or just scrapped altogether. A shame, if it was... it makes me wonder if the Inquisitor was supposed to fight Sophia instead of the Grand Inquisitor.

Even if it's was Sophia instead of Nimonuil, I don't think she was the last, the oldest yes.

Schot & Stephanie -

God Spells/Statues - I've been under the impression that the god statues are bugged ATM, due to the way that some of them don't even do anything when you click on them. Did they intentionally remove the statues being able to power up the Divine Gift? If so, I don't see much point in having all of these god statues that are blatantly hidden throughout Ancaria... makes them kind of boring. :..(

I guess that's something we'll find more about whenever the next update comes. Regardless, thanks for answering my questions.

Yes they are bugged but they are working. For example, kuan statues recharge kybele godspell, kybele statues recharge testa and so on.

And yes they intentionally remove the statues being able to power up the Divine Gift. It wasn't very convenient.

I'm sorry Stephane! :P

-----------------------

Even if it's was Sophia instead of Nimonuil, I don't think she was the last, the oldest yes.

Well, regardless... it would make "sense" that she'd be the last one to live since she's hyped up as being the strongest. At least it seemed that way when I was playing as seraphim on her single player campaign.

And beyond that, well, the Shadow Campaign is most likely viewable as only a "what if" story... so if we really wanted to find out who the last living Seraphim would be, I think we'd have to wait until Ascaron makes a Sacred game that takes place after Sacred 1 (story time line-wise).

But going back to what the Inquisitor was saying in that voice clip - it sounded like that the Inquisition manages to kill off all of the Seraphim during the battle over the Great Machine at the end of the Shadow Campaign. So he's probably supposed to deliver that speech before you fight the Seraphim in the last dungeon.

---------------------

Yes they are bugged but they are working. For example, kuan statues recharge kybele godspell, kybele statues recharge testa and so on.

And yes they intentionally remove the statues being able to power up the Divine Gift. It wasn't very convenient.

That's a little disappointing. I hope they intend to fix them so that the statues are the only way to raise the level of the Divine Gift, and not (from the way you make it sound) a potential exploit. Otherwise, I think it takes a lot of fun out of discovering the statues hidden around Ancaria. But I'm sure Heiko & co. have all kinds of ideas of how to make the God statues fun. :)

No problem eheh ^^

Well, regardless... it would make "sense" that she'd be the last one to live since she's hyped up as being the strongest. At least it seemed that way when I was playing as seraphim on her single player campaign.

And beyond that, well, the Shadow Campaign is most likely viewable as only a "what if" story... so if we really wanted to find out who the last living Seraphim would be, I think we'd have to wait until Ascaron makes a Sacred game that takes place after Sacred 1 (story time line-wise).

But going back to what the Inquisitor was saying in that voice clip - it sounded like that the Inquisition manages to kill off all of the Seraphim during the battle over the Great Machine at the end of the Shadow Campaign. So he's probably supposed to deliver that speech before you fight the Seraphim in the last dungeon.

Mmmh your story make me remember of something, In previous version (again ^^) the seraphims (a lot) was fighting the inquisition instead of Liosilath's troops.

Maybe you're right, but it's not the case anymore, now it's the high elf against the high elf dark vs light :)

Maybe you're right, but it's not the case anymore, now it's the high elf against the high elf dark vs light :)

Interesting... I wonder why it got changed, was it because of the storyline getting adjusted so much?

And I understand now what you mean about the God Statues & The Divine Gift CA. Hmm, it's a shame that they determined it was too cumbersome (the statues being the "runes" for the divine gift CA). But like I said, I hope they can think of something else for the statues... I'm sure they have some good ideas being tossed around.

----------------------------------------

Edit #2:

I remembered seeing a lot of stuff about the main storyline in the comments that were left in the LUA/C++ script that generates the main questline. I wonder if it has anything on the Shadow Campaign ending....

---------------------------------------

Edit #3

Wow... it looks to me like the ending of the game got watered down quite a bit (game play wise), although the final cinematic is still the same:

--Unshielding The Great Machine is the key for the great battle to begin.  The player fights alongside T-Demons and the Grand Inquisitor#92s army, attacking humans, high elves, Dryads, and whatever creatures oppose him.
--
--When the battle is done, the player turns against the Grand Inquisitor and says he will no longer be content to be a pawn in the game.  He fights and kills the Grand Inquisitor, using the Devil#92s Fire he acquired in the Desert.  He acquires some of the Grand Inquisitor#92s power.
--
--He now must face his #93shadow#94 opponent who has been mirroring his progress throughout the game.  This is a Seraphim who blocks the entrance to The Great Machine.
--
--After defeating the Seraphim, the player enters the complex and finds that The Great Machine is a complicated labyrinth, filled with protective traps and monsters.  Using everything he has acquired on his journey, he fights his way past all of them until he arrives at the very center of the machine.
--
--Here he finds the ultimate enemy.  All the mortal enemies have been killed outside along the way.  In here, it is something other-worldly.
--
--This monster has been created by the Demiurge as the last protector of The Great Machine.  It is representative of The Void, the great nothingness wherein there is no meaning, either good or bad.  It is a soul-less, implacable foe who must ultimately be defeated through an intense caring, through the player#92s passion for evil.
--
--The monster taunts and mocks the player for thinking his actions have significance:  When the player kills the monster, he shows that the creature is wrong, proving that men#92s actions have meaning and consequence
--
--When the great void has been defeated, the final action of the game is for the player to act upon the machine.
--
--The player #93dials up#94 the machine#92s intensity, in the hopes of acquiring more of its power.  As more and more of the magic collects, things begin to get out of control.  The walls shake, the complex starts to crumble.
--
--The voice of the Creator is heard:  #93You have achieved your goal.  You are the ultimate evil, and nothing good can stand against you.  You have placed yourself and your world beyond even my reach, creating a new universe of chaos and darkness where you will rule supreme.#94
--
--The ending movie pulls back from a top-view of the complex and shows the chaos in the world.  As we pull back further, a rift opens in time and space and the world is plunged into the darkness beyond, and then the rift closes.
--
--[Is the player then allowed to go back through the land?  I hope so!  IMO the ideal for both MP and SP, if it could be managed, would be to both allow the player to roam the world and work the ending in all but the last difficulty level such that it addresses the idea of replaying - not only would it be better from a flow point, but it would also give players an incentive to #93go the distance#94 through all difficulty levels, then at the end of the last one give them a nice spiffy movie or some other true conclusion.
--
--A conclusion that leaves room for a sequel of course (hope springs eternal!), which IMO the current bad path ending does not allow for.
--
-- If they#92re not allowed to continue roaming, there should be some sort of movie similar to that described in the bad path document for the good path. Currently the endings seem so dissimilar that it would be jarring and unpleasant for the players IMO. - Carolyn]

Heh... interesting to know that the narrator is "The Creator".

Edited by Cthulhu