Windows Remote Desktop and Assistance

Schot

Well they say to every problem there is a solution and Microsoft made a surprisingly easy solution to mine. My new bestest friend. Remote Desktop. It's a feature built into Windows XP and Vista that allows one computer access and control another regardless of distance between the two. My problem is that I am building a second pc but I don't have a monitor to spare for it. So how can I operate a pc that hasn't a screen? The main purpose for my question is that I would like to use my spare pc to run my extra Sacred 2 account rather than running both accounts on my main pc. Since my spare pc is not complete yet I used gogo's old pc to run the experiment.

With spare pc in another room connected to our network I was able to access it from my room and the interface is very user friendly. I did run into troubles though. I learned that only certain types of Windows have this ability to Remotely connect. Basicly the more expensive versions, heh. Go figure. Windows XP Pro to the rescue! XP Pro is one the "chosen ones". As for Vista none of the Home versions can be accessed remotely using Remote Desktop. But! There is always Remote Assistance.

Remote Assistance doesn't let you create a constant open door like Remote Desktop does but it does offer something of value still. The opportunity to Invite someone onto your pc with you. This is more of a Technical Assistance tool. You have a problem? You're friend has a solution but your both far from eachother. Invite your friend onto your pc and have a look. 2 heads are better than one they say. :)

So that's my brief mention of this highly under-rated tool. Read up on it in your Windows "Help and Support" thingy. There is a wealth of info in it with step be step instructions to help you get started.

My number 1 use? Two rooms, each with a pc sharing one monitor. How's that for saving a buck. :butcher:

I aaaaalmost got that program, haha. Though I was determined to try and use what was built into windows first. Mostly because I didn't want to learn another program, lol. But I am still curious about that one and it's a great alternative for those who don't have the right kind of Windows to use Remote Desktop. I'll have to experiment with LogMeIn on a spare pc. :butcher:

Very nice find Yarasa. :) Have you tried it Yarasa? Fairly quick and easy to use?

it is very simple to use it.

1- open a account with logmein

2- log in to your account and you will see ADD COMPUTER icon there. If you click on it, will install small program in your computer to access thru logmein.

that is all. you were expecting more steps I guess.

you could add as many computers as you want. I fix my parents computer using logmein. I am in US, parents are in Turkey. It works amazing.

Best thing with logmein is you don't have to be in the network to remote control the computer. You could connect to your pc from anywhere (as long as it is open and logmein activated).

I manage our company network with logmein itreach (paid version). But the free version is more than enough for home user (you can't file or printer share).

It will not disturb your remote connection settings so, you could try any time. It is easy to install and uninstall.

Remote Desktop does work decently well, there is also the option of software like Dameware or VNC.

VNC has software such as this; http://www.realvnc.com/products/free/4.1/winvnc.html that allows you to even run it as a system service and connect regardless of the logon status of the computer.

If you were running Linux there's another possible solution (I suspect I'll test it with Sacred 2 once Ubuntu 9.04 comes out in a month or so and I reinstall my OS, Wine might manage to run Sacred 2 then... hopefully they'll fix the nVidia driver issues and lack of compiling on kernel upgrades). FreeNX / NXServer allows the exact same procedure, however uses virtually no bandwidth relative to what is being done because you are not mirroring an active desktop. Instead you are logging on as an additional session. I was using it over the summer to connect to my home PC when at work, just to access certain sites when I had downtime (bypassing filters and such). And when I needed a Windows app I'd VNC/Remote Desktop into a VM of XP... was quite entertaining.