Fetch - Game lag is history

FdmNews

killer.jpg

How does it work? Spec Sheet

Bigfoot Networks™ technology is optimized for online gaming and real-time communications applications. The EVGA Killer Xeno Pro uses a 400MHz Network Processing Unit (NPU) to offload all networking operations. The NPU acts as a co-processor dedicated to running the networking portion of games and other applications. This NPU, along with Bigfoot Networks™ patented software algorithms, accelerates, prioritizes and shapes the packet stream that goes to and from the computer, thereby allowing EVGA Killer Xeno Pro to bypass the Windows Stack and allow the NPU to handle all the network functions. This results in the CPU being able to run at full speed, while checking for and receiving network data as fast as possible.

* This Process: Optimizes and speeds network operations

* Prioritizes game network traffic to ensure game data is always injected into the game the instant it arrives.

* Offloads packet processing for latency intensive applications, like VoIP, to provide clear and clean communications

* Frees up the CPU to do more game logic and other computations.

As a result, gamers see less lag, better frame rates and smoother, more responsive gameplay during intense action. In fact, on average, gamers see from 10% to 20% increase in frame rate!

Performance

Bigfoot Killer Network Processing Unit (NPU)

400 MHz NPU

10/100/1000 (Gigabit)

Memory

128MB DDR2

266 MHz (effective)

Interface

PCI-E 1x (PCI-E 2.0 Compliant)

Port

RJ-45 Ethernet

USB 2.0

3.5mm audio input and output

Features

Smooth Gameplay During Fast Action - Bigfoot Networks Network Processing Unit (NPU) frees up vital CPU resources to boost frame rates and smooth out gameplay experiences during the even the most intense action.

Hardware-Accelerated Voice Chat - Hardware-accelerated voice chat is fully offloaded from the CPU, processed on Killer Xeno’s dedicated audio chip and accelerated through Xeno’s NPU. Killer Xeno is bundled with TeamSpeak 3 Lite and TeamSpeak 2, the #1 Voice Chat program for online gaming. Killer Xeno also supports Mumble, a free and open-source, cross-platform voice application.

Optimized for Gaming - Killer Xeno is the only network card that delivers an ideal online experience, with 128MB of onboard RAM, a dedicated network processor, an audio processor for online voice chat and a PCI Express interface.

Faster Frame rates - Smart packet optimization sorts and accelerates time-sensitive Internet traffic, bypasses the Windows® Network Stack and transfers packets directly to and from games, improving game responsiveness and frame rates for that competitive edge.

Bandwidth Control - The Killer Xeno’s Hardware Bandwidth Control technology serves as a Network “Traffic Cop” that smoothes the online experience across all Internet applications – VoIP, streaming video, downloads and web surfing – even while gaming.

Optimized for Applications - 128 MB of onboard RAM allows more Killer technology applications like voice chat and Bandwidth control to be run on the card simultaneously enabling better system performance.

Plug and Play - Delivers Plug-&-Play compatibility with all online games. The Killer Xeno works with all online games for improved performance right out of the box.

now this I like :oooo:

I'm on the fence on this one. They make it sound so cool and my first reaction would be to lust after it. But the left half of my brain knows that someone will speak up and tell us all what a waste this is.

OK, physics says the speed of light is a limiting factor. Transmission of data takes time. This part of lag cannot be avoided no matter how sophisticated the equipment you use.

Logic says delays caused by the issues this equipment is deigned to alleviate occur on every system in a game. It is my understanding that Sacred 2, and Sacred as well, use TCP as a protocol, in order to keep all players in game synchronized. This means that every packet sent requires an acknowledgment in return.

So we have:

1. Delay due to packet preparation and sending.

2. Delay due to transmission time

3. Delay due to reception of packet

4. Delay due to preparation of return packet

5. Delay due to transmission of return packet

6. Delay due to reception and processing of return packet.

Of the six, this piece of equipment can only address 2 -- either 1 and 6, or 3 and 4. Unless every player is using a similar piece of equipment, in which case 1, 3, 4 and 6 will be alleviated.

No matter how well it does what it says, there will still be significant potential for lag. And I suspect with multi core systems, the effect will not be as noticeable, as the "offloading" from the cpu is probably already taking place on a separate core anyway.

Sure, you'll see some improvement from packet prioritization, but I suspect that if you have a serious rig already, you will be disappointed. Unless you PvP online and need every little bit of advantage. Then it just might be enough.

on the fence on this too...

Since the Sacred 2 servers are in Germany...I need all the help I can get with lag, but it takes up a slot which I might want for Tri-SLI. Really wish I knew someone playing Sacred 2 that had the KillerNic. Would love to know how much it helped lag.

lag: one component not addressed above is number of hops and are the intermediary jumps on overloaded servers? If everyone had super-duper netcards with no traffic jams or DDoS attacks... why... there'd be less lag!

One thing I wonder about Sacred 2: Can people hammer the servers like in S1? Overspawn is a thing of the past... but do some CAs generate a huge amount of load/traffic on the servers in Germany?

EVGA has a program for "loaner" products -- ELP they call it. They are currently taking sign ups to try out their version of this card for 2 weeks. Your only cost is to UPS it to the next person on the list.

You must sign up in the EVGA community at www.evga.com to be eligible.

If you are seriously thinking about it, this is a good way to check it out. They do not guarantee you'll get one, but the chance is better than the zero you have if you don't try.

yeah iam hoping to find a good reviews soon :gogo: (but I already like the idea to dl to a stick that you have in the card it self) :P

looks like its going to cost around 300 us over here so a few (good) reviews are def needed before I buy it anyway :)