Hi, during the last week I have received 2-3 PMs by a 'Deleted Member' and today I got 2-3 more

from an unknown user to me, as I checked my e-mail.

I enter then on PM of forum and I did not find anything new PM from this person.

Since, the PMs are deleted and even the username which sent these, I am guessing that you are aware of the issue :D

It is really annoying!

Heya Spyrus. Sorry about your troubles with our unwelcome guest. If I were to take a wild guess I'd say they were sent by a member name wetmatches16. wetmatches16 appeared on darkmatters a few days ago. gogo has become quite good at recognizing a spammer when he sees one and performed and immediate "cleansing" when he saw wetmatches16. In fact he had to remove wetmatches16 3 times in a short period of time. Sadly, wetmatches16 managed to pull off a fw emails and PMs.

The problem here is that it was an actual person who registered and then ran a spam script. It's a new trend in spam to employ people to perform registrations in order to bypass security. Our forum software developer, IPB, has acknowledged the trend and have developed an new setting that can control how much PM spamming is allowed to occur. For email spamming that's something all members here can control.

Something that I always to do when registering to a forum is to select that my email be made invisible. Most forums have it as an option when registering including ours. Since you were emailed Spyrus I'm assuming that presently your email is visible. If you'd like to make it invisible you can click on the My Controls link at the top of the forum here. On your My Controls page you'll see the Menu of links to the left side of the screen and in that Menu box under the section Options click on Email Settings. There you can checkmark the option to "Hide my email address from other members".

That will take care of the email problem and we're working on the PM problem. Thanx for the feedback Spyrus! We didn't know for sure if wetmatches16 had spammed until you posted this. This kind of feedback is excellent and helps us keep the forum clean. :)

... Since you were emailed Spyrus I'm assuming that presently your email is visible. If you'd like to make it invisible you can click on the My Controls link at the top of the forum here. On your My Controls page you'll see the Menu of links to the left side of the screen and in that Menu box under the section Options click on Email Settings. There you can checkmark the option to "Hide my email address from other members". ...

Unfortunately, if he knew what he was doing, there is the possibility he now has a copy of your email address. That means he has the ability to continue spamming you. If he does, the only solution is to abandon the old email address and generate a new one. :)

Keep an eye open to see if you get more SPAM than normal.

No, it is ok the mail was from darkmatters that I have PMs, not directly from the spammer.

I have checked my options , they had already invisible mail :)

(Hide my email address from other members was checked from the beginning)

And yes, that must be the user. :)