Windows XP ClearType;

Schot

I'm sure you've all noticed, painfully, that some picking and choosing of Dark Matters' fonts is about. There's still more to learn and try with that regard but I did find something of interest.

Windows XP ClearType font.

ClearType is an option that comes with Windows XP which improves readablity of fonts in general. Firefox too. ;) I just tried it out, it's very simple to turn on, and fonts are looking very nice now. It basically softens the edges of fonts.

There are a couple of ways to go about it so I'll link you all to the easy way first. The following webpage is "supposed" to set up ClearType for you but it didn't work for me...

ClearType Tuner

In the event that the linked page above isn't working for you these are the steps to turn on ClearType:

How to Enable ClearType

To use ClearType for screen fonts:

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, click Appearance and Themes, and then click Display.

2. On the Appearance tab, click Effects.

3. Click to select the Use the following method to smooth edges of screen fonts check box, and then click ClearType in the list.

After turning on ClearType you can tune the effect by downloading ClearType Tuner PowerToy Tuner and then installing it. At the end of the installation it will likely Launch the tool automatically but for future reference the ClearType tuner will be in the windows control panel. Start-->Control Panel-->ClearType Tuning.

I recommend getting the ClearType tuner because, and I quote Microsoft;

Troubleshooting

Display Appears Blurry

ClearType is designed to enhance LCD displays. ClearType may appear slightly blurry on standard desktop monitors and on some LCD displays. You may be able to improve this by customizing ClearType as described in the "How to Customize ClearType" section of this article.

In rare cases, perceived blurriness is caused by a manufacturing anomaly on LCD displays in which the normal striping of red-green-blue is reversed with blue-green-red. Currently, there is no support in Windows XP ClearType to compensate for this anomaly. This could be the problem in cases in which none of the ClearType contrast settings look good on a particular LCD display. In those cases, it may be best to turn off ClearType.

And as a side note...

Color Setting Must Support ClearType

To use ClearType, you must have a video adapter and monitor that support a color setting of at least 256 colors. Best results are achieved with High color (24-bit) or Highest color (32-bit) support. To change the color quality:

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, click Appearance and Themes, and then click Display.

2. On the Settings tab, in the Color quality list, click a different color setting.

Cheers gang. :4rofl:

Heh.... the things we don't kow about in our OSes :4rofl:

This looks pretty good, rather better than standard, though I may have to play with it to see if I can maybe reduce the softness a tiny bit.

Guest gogoblender

This is sheer genius

lol, I'd actually been fiddlin around with that part of the os a while ago...then I guess I somehow forgot about it

:rolleyes:

Fiddling around with the settings is awesome and wow...things are pretty much leaping out.

Clarity!

:D

gogo

Now that you guys are enjoyin some smooth reading how about just a little bit more control over the content.

Here's a little trick I discovered a while ago that will add nicely to the ClearType:

Making browser text bigger/smaller on the fly.

To make fonts bigger hold down Ctrl key and roll mousewheel up. Roll down for smaller, again, while holding down Ctrl key.

If you want to reset text to default size hold down Ctrl key and push the 0(zero) key.

If you don't have a mousewheel then hold down Ctrl and push the + key for bigger text. Ctrl and push the - key for smaller text. Ctrl and the 0(zero) key for default size.

Enjoy yer new thuper powahs. :D

Guest gogoblender
Now that you guys are enjoyin some smooth reading how about just a little bit more control over the content.

Here's a little trick I discovered a while ago that will add nicely to the ClearType:

Making browser text bigger/smaller on the fly.

To make fonts bigger hold down Ctrl key and roll mousewheel up. Roll down for smaller, again, while holding down Ctrl key.

If you want to reset text to default size hold down Ctrl key and push the 0(zero) key.

If you don't have a mousewheel then hold down Ctrl and push the + key for bigger text. Ctrl and push the - key for smaller text. Ctrl and the 0(zero) key for default size.

Enjoy yer new thuper powahs. :thumbsup:

wowoah!

Didn't know that microsoft's os could pull that kind of magic off.

Nice find

:drinks:

gogo