Wargames v.s. Wargames The Dead Code

Well, it looks like the classic from 1983 starring Matthew Broderick, has met it's redux.

And while duking it out, and comparing the two, I found the second installment sorely lacking and in fact disheartening. The new release, called Wargames: The Dead Code is full of trite remarks, saccharin sympathies, terrible acting (so terrible), and a complete reliance upon technology's wonders that must probably be an attempt to steer us away from the this under-budgeted movie, as it tries to capitalize on that long-ago classic that had firmly lodged itself in our hearts.

What happened here?

From the opening, which sounds and feels like an mtv music video, to the over the top confessions of "you're such a wonderful person!' to "I'm terminally ill...feel for me!" I found myself quickly losing interest in this film almost before the first half of it was over. Out of respect to the genius of the first movie, I stolidly bore through it while cringing at almost every line, and thinking that the movie makers owed me a vert bigfavor.

These direct to dvd releases seem to have no accountability to good writing, editing, or even the intelligence of today's audience. The draw of the buck has made for some very quick and shabby release/remakes, not including this one. The surprises, drama and sheer excitement of the first movie are nowhere to be seen here, as the directors take us along a labyrinthine maze of supposed tech wonders that are there amaze us, but which now, in this day of every day tech wonders, come off as flat and completely unappreciated.

If my review of this movie seems a little intensely negative, understand that when the first movie with Broderick came out, I was literally jumping out of my seat with woo hoos and yahoos for it's final message to all of us regarding the outcome of a global thermonuclear war. The tale that I was taken along with then, was a wonderous event to my young mind, and I felt privilleged to have been given an insight into a larger world which, after watching it, was proud to be part of.

Big boo to the new redux

Mathew still rules

:D

gogo

Oh this was a painful one to watch for sure. Though it was filmed in Montreal so I felt compelled to watch it just for the sake of supporting the home town. :D Yup... There was a lot of wincing going on while I watched this moldy piece of fromage. I was begging for mercy with every "heartfelt" moment of which there were far too many at that. Sunday afternoon TV special anyone? :P

The original, even to watch it now, was far more interesting to watch. Just watch the final 20 minutes of each and you'll see how much better the original is. I think the killing blow in the new version was the end scene with the people cheering with several close ups of people doing that "fist of victory" gesture. Omg I wanted to die from the shame I felt for them, lol.