[Multiplayer-Shooter] DayZ - something different

DayZ_Banner.jpg

Please note that this is meant to show the standalone version of this game. There also is an Arma2 mod out there, but this version comes without prerequisites. However, since the game is still in alpha, expect bugs and glitches.

I just want to drop you guys a note on DayZ. I've been playing for a bit, failing for a bit :lol: watching streams on twitch... This game is just something very different out there, and it's a blast to play. Genuine excitement and scares. Most players agree, there is no game out there that can deliver what DayZ does.

You are a survivor in the postapocalyptic, zombie-filled world of DayZ, where you and your fellow players are out there with a single objective: staying alive. How you will succeed is your choice. You can be a farmer, live of the land. You can scavenge the cities, but there are zombies out there, and cities attract other players. Or you can play as a bandit, hold up or kill other players for their gear.

Whichever way you choose, first order of business is to gear up. Get food, get drinks, and most importantly, get a weapon. Because you are not alone.

http://dayzgame.com/

Youtube trailer under spoiler tags due to the graphic nature of this content!

Invaluable trying to figure out your way around:

http://dayzdb.com/map

Even though I have played on and of for 200 hours now, I still am a so-called bambi though - new to the game, don't really know my way around the map. The fact that there is no storyline means you make up what you want to do. It's is a great game to play as a lone wolf, but in squads as well.

One last tip, play with a mic, really do. Not all players are bandits (hostile) but most will kill on sight when you do not respond.

Edited by Timotheus

Whoa, how did I miss this?! I'm getting this one. Granted, my graphics card is only an nVidea 240m, but this is wayyyyyy to bodacious to pass up

Edited by Gilberticus

I'm able to run it - full-on low 1920x1080 - on my old and trusty Asus laptop, 1st gen i7 combined with a low end GT425m.

Haven't checked my frame rates yet though. :ninja2:

Oh I have to edit the TS: you *need* a mic, really. I also just get shot because I do not respond :blush:

Edited by Timotheus

Game ran smooth for me once I bumped the resolution down to 67%. Couldn't for the life of me figure out why things were still a little fuzzy and black and white. But now I know it's because I'm hungry, thirsty, and sick because I had the bright idea of eating a bunch of rotten food I found. I guess it's not too cool to jump off of high roofs, either :)

Now THIS is something I see us having a clan/group in. As the game progresses, I think we're going to see people developing groups, rather than having the free-for-all that it is now, specifically because there's supposed to be butt loads of zombies coming. In just the whopping day that I've been playing, it's already become virtually impossible to forage by myself. If I'm not mistaken, I'm already seeing groups of hunter-gatherers,too, but I didn't get a chance to talk to them. Maybe it's time for me to change my lone wolf mentality towards gaming, at least this one. With all the ideas that are supposed to be implemented, I don't think players are going to be able to survive by playing solo for much longer

So what did I die from:

But now I know it's because I'm hungry,

Check!

Thirsty,

Check!

I guess it's not too cool to jump off of high roofs, either :)

Check!

I also randomly walked through a railing, breaking my legs when I landed. On top of a zombie LOL

Edited by Timotheus
  • Like! 1

I've noticed that too. I can occasionally run right through solid objects like walls or rails. Sometimes it's a pain, but sometimes this little bug can be beneficial. Bugs or not, alpha state or not, I still love the heck out of this game.

Edited by Gilberticus

Horrible runs yesterday! First I crashed through a railing again, I somehow managed to slither around and take out 5 zeds who werd after me. Was looking for a bambi to take my gear. But then I realized I had broken every piece of equipment in my fall. So I decided to go streaking, and played zombie toy until they killed me.

Next run (few re-logs) I am hungry as hell because I can't find food! I checked two smaller towns and Elektra, all fully raided already...

I saved in an office building, and a few relogs later I am holding on to some nice gear. Sawn-off shotgun (no ammo...) crowbar, kiddy backpack, hydrated and fed. I kept looting the office in relogs to stock up on supplies and another gun. Either the Magnum or the other pistol would make me happy because then I have some use for the ammo I *do* have. Then I just need a mag, maybe...

Edited by Timotheus

I had a heck of a run. I found gear I didn't know existed: military gear, backpack that held 35 items, sniper scopes, cooking implements. I'm pretty sure I was as geared up as you can get. I even discovered I'd been starving for nothing, because I can open cans with a machete instead of a can opener. But I made the mistake of climbing on a roof to test the accuracy of my scope, fell through it and had insta-death, even though it wasn't that high up. I even had all the morphine, sticks, and other junk required to fix broken legs. Bugs:they happen. Maybe it's wiser to stay on solid ground next time I get all geared up

Actually, you can open cans with any sharp object: crowbar, splitting axe, fire axe, knife, machete, screwdriver... You do lose some of the content, about a third IIRC.

Curious about the future updates regarding the cooking system, I keep finding pots and pans lately.

About that shotgun of mine: found a saw with my shotgun and quickly sawed it off, ditching the saw... Don't know if this has any repercussions though. Haven't really see anybody compare results yet.

Really? Didn't know that. I've never found crowbars or fire axes yet, but I didn't see the option when I had a screw driver. I was reading about how pots and pans glow red, I wonder if there's going to be a burning factor, both to the food and to your character if you touch the pot before it cools

Haha yeah, or your backpack catching fire when you don't let stuff cool down... The possibilities!

Actually you made me doubt whether the screwdriver works, now I'm not sure anymore lol

Fire axe is best melee weapon by the way, 1-hit kill on zeds although military zeds might require a second swing. I had a splitting axe on my previous run, two swings at least.

Which servers do you tend to play?

Currently I'm mostly playing GB/NL/DE servers around 9-10pm local time but maybe there's a time we could do a run together?

Edited by Timotheus

OMG just found an SKS, a frickload of bullets for it, like sixty...

Here I was trying firing it at random zeds long range in an empty server... You know getting a feel for the gun...

Aaaaaand fell off the roof :blush:

Interesting. So, Kamikaze Sunday in DayZ... that Would be fun. Servers are prohibited from having a "No KOS" policy, so Lamikase would turn into a day-long King of the Hill. I'd play that!

Actually gogo, it's all about HC. You die, you need to start over.

You pop into the world with a flashlight and a battery, and that's it.

Currently there are also two server types, regular and hardcore. In hardcore, there's no 3rd person view so it's more difficult to play (3rd person view has it's advantages looking over fences etc).

I just saw a video of some of the ingame on YouTube... gotta say I do find the premise fascinating... a kind of openness, and it just basically draws out all the primal elements of humans...can see this game getting very out there?

:oooo:

gogo