Sets can be the crutch or are you hopelessly addicted to them

could use downloadable toons (the level 100 with no points spent) as the dummies and a toon under level 100 with a set with this damage.. export to open multiplayer and have the dloaded toon spend his point soley on defense and hitpoints (strength , agility, etc) so that they last the longest wihtout dying and have the other exported toon do damange against it in pvp. in braverock there are some large open spaces that never have mobs in them so the damange numbers couldnt get skewed if the room was password protected. then a 3rd person could party with the exported toon and screen capture the damage numbers. I would pick the piece of the set that is defense only and doesnt add to spell levels, or combat arts to be the one to remove to "break" the set so that the damage should be the same just minus the special damange. So in byleths I would pick the ammy which doesnt do damage or increase spell level. maybe substitute for an ammy that did the same efffect as it but not part of byleths? or the ring and again substitute.

I know with my fire mage sometimes he gets a hit in thats HUGE like 30k, when my stats say only 12-15k which must be the burning bone affect. its like 4 reg hits then a huge hit, then another 4-5 reg hits... I also notice that when my set is broken (like I forgot to re equip my wall after trading) the mobs die alot slower... it takes another 2-6 hits to down them

Burning bone isn't the same sort of damage though, it is essentially an open wounds bonus but for fire damage. And it definitely kills faster because of that.

There is a slight problem with testing the sets for exact damages, the 'special' damage sets all include a fair amount of +crit. I was testing a little with the level 75 full set characters and can say that the extra hit does speed things up, not because it adds extra damage persay but because it essentially doubles your crit chance (And split/ow/every other on hit mod). Essentially, the only way I can see it being tested accurately would be by discounting any hits that deal critical damage and just comparing the non-crit hits. And note, you can have a crit 'special' damage and/or a crit 'normal' damage, they are dealt with independently.

My main argument for the lack of increase of damage (not lack of killing speed, since extra crits will increase chance to kill) is that if the damage were actually 10% or whatnot, it would be 10% of your damage listed on your display screen. Instead it changes your damage output to 90% base + 10% special. And the 10% special comes after resists are taken into account.

Proof of such based on display properties:

If the damage is taken pre-resists, every enemy in the game should take the same amount of special damage, regardless of their resists, therefore every hit should display the same extra damage, rather than fluctuating every time. And I mean with a skill such as CL/RBoL and the like where the damage output is constant per-hit to a given enemy, there is no damage range to throw off those numbers.

Hi :)

Zinsho:

Altrough many things in Sacred is open to arguing (sadly because lotsa things arent clear enough) there are some facts. For example we all know how the system of diminishing returns are working. The BM I referred to has around 50% (not +50 but 50%) crit. Raising that - even with a considerable amount of crit - wont have that visible effect - simply because there is virtually no difference between 50 or 52% crit.

On the other hand the helm I swapped to test secret damage didnt contained crit bonus - so swapping them didnt affected my whole crit value.

After the years of playing this wonderful but veeeeeery buggy (and sometimes unclear) game all I can di is that trusting the "feelings" while playing with your char and "experiencing" the object if your research IS much more dependable than ANY math or logic (:)) driven explanation.

So the facts are: secret damage (in my case) did easily beat a 40 level CA increase - which (for me at least) proves its bonus damage. OF COURSE its possible that I err somewhere in my arguments - maybe I miss very important parts - but if we see the end results: secret damage makes killing baddies much faster (with or without crits).

Btw:

IMHO Crit is highly overrated. Its is a great thing to have - much better to have than not having :) BUT too many ppl forgets about the importance of the BASE damage. Crit modifies base damage - so if your base damage is low but your crit is very high you could still have a lower damage output (with all the crits) than an another char with much lower crit but much higher base damage. So crit is really important but its only a factor - and not the most important one :)

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...