Frozen foods... so convenient, uber expensive

Lately I've been considering all of the time that cooking tastes. I used to never visit the frozen food section...but lately it's been calling. You know those bags of frozen cut veggies they sell? Well, I've taken a gander to them. They're so easy to use, and I think that I've read somewhere that frozen food comes pretty dang close to the nutritional value of fresh. One of the turnoffs is the high price...but when you've returned back from home and want to throw something together...nothing seems to beat out the convenience.

I've been indulging (read as splurging) with Cantonese frozen ^^ These assorted yummies come with a whole bunch of exotic goodies. Bamboo shoots, baby corn, sliced mushrooms...

Fresh is so cheap...but do you guys think the time saved is worth it? I think I'm coming to hate preparing garlic :hugs: Yeah it's so good tasting...but all that work of ripping off the skins... and don't bring up onions to me... I think I've cried so many tears lately, I think dehydration's getting to be a serious worry.

Frozen is just so easy, and it just saves so much time. I'm wondering if any of our other cooks here sometimes cheats and reaches for the package?

:)

gogo

For me here in the states frozen veggies most of the time are cheaper for me than fresh. and the time saved by having it already cut up or prepped is great.

Frozen onions due tend to be a bit more expensive than fresh that I have to cut up but during the work week I dont have time to prep veggies before cooking.

Frozen though are much better than canned nutritionally. Most canned have salt in them for preservation. the frozen ones are picked cut and flash frozen all within hours of coming off the farm. one defrosted they are "fresh" basically.

I buy the store brand, either Shaws or Hannafords (depending on the store I'm in) Same vegetables in the bags, usually you are just paying for the logo with the name brands....

Fresh is usually cheaper than frozen, but sometimes there are good sales.

To be honest, I work hard to limit the amount of frozen food that enters my house. I'll even make my own fries from fresh potato(got to find some malt vinegar)

Sure, peeling garlic can be a chore, but the whole cooking process is a major stress buster for me. And when the kids really enjoy what I've prepared, their happiness is worth all the trouble.

And on the subject of garlic, there is a rubber tube that you can purchase from speciality stores. You put the garlic in it and roll it a bit. The garlic cloves are neatly stripped of their skins--or so I've been told. Enter the garlic press to complete the job. I should also mention that the asian markets here sell shrink-wrapped trays

Having said all that--the wife does tend to keep a supply of frozen mixed veggies. She makes this killer soup with the veggies, tomato sauce, a whole head of garlic and sliced franks or baso.

One thing I look for they make is frozen vegetables in packages where you steam them in the microwave in their package. I find the taste is really good. Hard to tell from fresh. Probably something to do with steaming in the bag as opposed to dumping into a frying pan

I do partake in frozen foods alot, generally at work. with minimal time and alot of laziness, the ability to pop things in microwave reasonable approximations of dishes is a bonus.

I tend to stock up at warehouse stores or supermarket when things are on sale. not as if they will go bad in a few months.

garlic can be bought pre-minced, look around the veggies section. some are good, some have odd aftertastes. as for the rest of the frozen veggies, don't eat many.

eggo waffles are sweet, haven't made normal ones in years.