Canned Air... can you spell rip off?!

gogoblender

Ahhh, canned air. So many uses for this wonderful product. When I bought my video card I paid $9.99 for a three pack. This stuff can be pretty pricy; I always search around for great deals like the one I got.

At work I have a computer vac that also doubles as a blower--cost $120.00 but with the cost of canned air it becomes worth it after awhile. But you can't freeze critters with a vac.

Kids leave the front door open, trapping a fly in the apartment for a couple of days? No problem, I just turn the can upside down and out comes a stream of freezing(and dangerous--Don't do it kids!) mist. Have to dispose of the flys because they drop to the floor, but they are not dead. They'll wake up in a few minutes.

But there is another option. I have seen reusable cans. There is no propellant and you have to compress the cans yourself. Of course you won't get as much 'oomph' but you'll only have to buy the can once.

------------

A quick search turned up a company called re-air. They sell cans for a couple bucks higher than a can of air that can be refilled 100 times. You can fill them at the gas station or with your own pump.

Edited by Silearth

Marketing 101: People with computers will pay money to make sure they can blow the dust off circuit boards without damaging them by spraying spit on them...

Short form: People+Computers=Money. Let's get it!

If people are willing to pay for something at price X, it will sell at price X. They can drop the price later if it is too high...

Marketing 101: People with computers will pay money to make sure they can blow the dust off circuit boards without damaging them by spraying spit on them...

:) I've used that method before too.

heh, well at least you guys got me laughing a bit... but this canned stuff does seem awfully expensive. I went down to another corner dollar store, and the dude's wife there told me to buy their hair dryer set it on cold and then blow air through the comp...

the dryer would cost about 17 bux and I could keep using it which would really save me money... any problems with this? I'm just wondering if this works why they don't sell hair dryers in comp stores ^^

Also... how about if I just kept one side of my case open and kept a huge fan beside it to blow air through it...would that keep dust from collecting inside?

Sil, the reusable cans sound good... ran out of time today, but tomorrow I'll give a few stores some phone calls.

:4rofl:

gogo

Id be worried about static discharge from the fan and what it might blow into the coputer... not to mention even on "cold" the air can be slightly warm...

The can air as expensive as it may be is the only really safe way (barring a computer vac) to clean actual components inside the computer ...

The can air as expensive as it may be is the only really safe way (barring a computer vac) to clean actual components inside the computer ...

Not quite.........

I eat a can of baked beans with garlic bread and fried onions. Wait one hour.

Turn off the power to the computer (very important)

Open the side of the case and bend over at a 90°angle with my bum facing the computer.

Let one rip and my computer has all the dust blown away. :4rofl:

I have found that to be very effective........also helps to keep other members of the family away afterwards so you have the computer to yourself. :)

Id be worried about static discharge from the fan and what it might blow into the coputer... not to mention even on "cold" the air can be slightly warm...

I agree with Genenut here, I bought one as an addative to an order at a computer shop. They really do the trick! However, I should have opted for a can that does not need to be at least 90% vertical to function properly, the ones you can swivel around as much as you like are a lot more user-friendly.

I'll be keeping these babies around for the sake of a clean pc. I tried cleaning the heatsinks with a brush, but that was really hard...

Not quite.........

I eat a can of baked beans with garlic bread and fried onions. Wait one hour.

Turn off the power to the computer (very important)

Open the side of the case and bend over at a 90°angle with my bum facing the computer.

Let one rip and my computer has all the dust blown away. :)

I have found that to be very effective........also helps to keep other members of the family away afterwards so you have the computer to yourself. :)

you forgot the pickled eggs and beer. And now you know why the wife buys me Beano for Christmas.