Reading runes question

Bear with me... I'm still new to the game mechanics.

Is there a limit to the number of runes or CA that a character can learn? Or, as in Diablo I, can a player teach their character every CA if they but in the effort to find/trade enough runes? Are there penalties or drawbacks to learning too many CA?

Vic

Edited by Tetujin

Heya,

I believe some are capped. BFG for example?

You can learn all Combat Arts. Skill choices are limited to 10. For the most part, toons will use Combat Arts from 2 'trees'. Using all three is possible, but tends to weaken toons.

Penalties to learning all Combat Arts are not that big. Mostly you will spend runes into buffs and keep Combat Arts spammable. You WILL get big penalties by not picking CA Skills. This will make your toon Jack of All, Master of None.

Read threads posted by Gogo above.

If you have more question. Post em! :D

Greetz

Edited by Barristan

I know BFG was capped at level 200 since last patch (2.40). Not sure what max level is for all the others and didn't find it on wiki either

Even if a ca level is capped at 200... what does this actually mean? I'm just wondering how many runes it would take to get a CA to that level... and how would this be done?

Has anyone ever got close to this kind of level with any CA so far?

Full Plus all Skills suit with full focus and then cast the buff before?

:D

gogo

I'm really confused on how using runes work with CAs and with buffs as well.

I finally located the area where it shows you the amount which can be used without penalty. Do those raise up as you level up?

Also, do the offensive Pyro CAs (like fireball, tempest, etc.) which I have only unlocked one level with the first rune count against the total? Or does a rune only count once you have used one to get a CA to level 2?

Right now I've only learned each of my buffs twice because I'm really concerned its going to mess things up. I'm using the high elf.

I've gone to the wiki guide but it really doesnt describe things in detail.

If anyone has the 360 version and has an understanding of all this please send me a friend request. Storm Shadow M2

Thanks!

I finally located the area where it shows you the amount which can be used without penalty. Do those raise up as you level up?

Yes, without Focus, you can get up to about level 50 Combat Arts, at character level 200.

If you're using Grand Invigoration, you can read as many runes as you find. It doesn't have penalties (but you won't gain much without Focus :))

Yes, without Focus, you can get up to about level 50 Combat Arts, at character level 200.

If you're using Grand Invigoration, you can read as many runes as you find. It doesn't have penalties (but you won't gain much without Focus :yay:)

I'm using Katran's "Flame On" High Elf. I really have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to runes and Combat Arts though. From what I understand Incascent Skin, Flame Demon and Grand Invigoration are all buffs. But I still dont get how it all works. Someone else told me you should only have one buff activated at a time, or it will cause penalties. This is too confusing.

The game can be complex..Think of buffs as permanent Combat Arts. Every CA has a certain regen time/penalty associated with it. As you activate buffs this penalty is figured into your combat CA regen time (though Grand Invigoration actually decreases regen time.

Say you're using Blazing Tempest. Just look at regen (hover over CA icon) , then activate one buff at a time and see how regen changes.....Typically buffs will be much higher level than your combat Combat Arts.

I would start off easy.....Take Blazing Tempest and Grand Invigoration as CA and buff. Then see how the aspect lore/focus and other skills like Concentration affect damage/regen

The game can be complex..Think of buffs as permanent Combat Arts. Every CA has a certain regen time/penalty associated with it. As you activate buffs this penalty is figured into your combat CA regen time (though Grand Invigoration actually decreases regen time.

Say you're using Blazing Tempest. Just look at regen (hover over CA icon) , then activate one buff at a time and see how regen changes.....Typically buffs will be much higher level than your combat Combat Arts.

I would start off easy.....Take Blazing Tempest and Grand Invigoration as CA and buff. Then see how the aspect lore/focus and other skills like Concentration affect damage/regen

I'm not sure what you mean by when you say "ACTIVATE" a buff. Aren't the buffs already determined with each character?

I already have all CAs unlocked, but I haven't read any other runes yet for them, so they've all only been "learned" once.

Ugh... this is just too frustrating because my character is starting to struggle at level 25 and I have a feeling this is why. Right now the only skills that I have added points to are concentration, arrant pyromancer lore, and arrant pyromancer focus (all about level 20 I think). Hopefully someone who understands all of this with a 360 version can help me out, because I have the feeling this is simple and IO just need to be looking at the screen while someone explains it. Until then all help is appreciated. Thanks.

Yup it would be alot easier if we were in game at same time.

When I say Activate I mean the buff is active (you have it's aura around you). Not sure if you screen is similar to pc but you should have 4 slots on bottom right. You take the buff icon and place it in one of the slots. Then click on the buff icon and you have now activated/using buff.

Yup it would be alot easier if we were in game at same time.

When I say Activate I mean the buff is active (you have it's aura around you). Not sure if you screen is similar to pc but you should have 4 slots on bottom right. You take the buff icon and place it in one of the slots. Then click on the buff icon and you have now activated/using buff.

LoL. Ok. I've at least figured out how to do that.

As long as I follow the focus abailities where it says maximum amount which can be used without penalty and dont go over that, I should be fine right?

I guess what I'm curious about though is for my pyromancer CAs I have two buffs (demon and skin), so when it says I can use a maximum of 12 times without penalty are they talking about the amount of runes? Or the level I can be at for each specific CA? And also, is the 12 for both CAs combined? Or 12 for each?

When they refer to penalty it refers to max level without it being a partial number...For instance you said your max CA level is 12. That doesn't mean you can only use 12 times without penalty. The penalty we are referring to is partial lvls....If your CA at this point has a max level of 12 and you read 13 runes...you will not get full credit for the 13th one. Your actual CA level will be something like 12.3. As you increase focus you will be able to gain more lvls without running into this penalty

And unlike S1 the amount of runes read has no effect on the frequency of rune drops

Edited by Knuckles
When they refer to penalty it refers to max level without it being a partial number...For instance you said your max CA level is 12. That doesn't mean you can only use 12 times without penalty. The penalty we are referring to is partial lvls....If your CA at this point has a max level of 12 and you read 13 runes...you will not get full credit for the 13th one. Your actual CA level will be something like 12.3. As you increase focus you will be able to gain more lvls without running into this penalty

And unlike S1 the amount of runes read has no effect on the frequency of rune drops

Ahhh ok. I'm starting to get it a bit more now. So I definitely want to fill my buffs up right now. but what about my offensive CAs which aren't buffs? Someone told me I should just keep those at level one so I can keep fast recharge times.

Yup most people typically keep their attack Combat Arts low and Buff lvls high....while you character is low level, try to keep attack Combat Arts low and socket runes to increase lvls instead of reading them. Also try to find equipment that has bonuses to you particular CA.

As your character gains lvls you can slowly increase CA lvls...

It will still affect regen but less than if reading it....you also gain the mod on rune by socketing it (you don't if you read it)

Don't hesitate to ask if something still doesn't make sense...that's what we're here for :)

Edited by Knuckles