Open wound stack?

Quick question, does DoT conditions like open wound, burning, poison stack? Or merely reset the duration or no effect at all the 2nd time the it is applied? I realized I worded differently, I know that a mob can suffer from multiple conditions, I'm asking if I apply the same condition twice in a row will it have x2 effect? Also, I noticed that each elemental damage type (when modded into weapon) seem to come with their own 2nd effect, like fire damage weapon will sometime cause burning, is there a more detailed guide on how all of that take place, and the damage it cause? I couldn't find on wiki so ... Lastly, I assume the damage lore will affect all secondary effects right? Like burning and whatnot that are embedded in the elemental type damage.

Edited by thinkingofaname

Hey there thinkingofaname. (btw, should you ever decide on a name we can always change your present one.) :)

Ok then. Let's see. Causing a single secondary effect upon a target multiple times will restart the duration of it's effect and yes it is possible to cause multiple types of elemental effects on a single target. However, when causing multiple elemental effects on a single target only one graphical representation will be shown on the target. Damage lore will affect all 4 secondary effects, yup. :)

Now I'm not entirely certain how helpful this will be for you but you may find the following topic of interest to you. How to improve damage.

Good luck!

So it sounds like it just resets secondaries:) Otherwise say you could inflict a DOT doing 10 units that lasted 100 seconds. Lets say every 10 seconds you reinflicted the DOT.

If it just resets the timer you do your DOT damage until the monster dies.. [sounds like this is what happens]

If it stacks you would have 10 stacking DOTS that would be 10 x the DOT damage per unit time..

If it ADDS to the timer and you inflicted 30 DOTS then you could run away and the DOT would last 3000 seconds (I think poison worked like that in Diablo)..

Thanks for the reply. Still got question though, I know there are mods that have -% chance to (insert effect), does it work by itself or do I need to have the affect already in place? For example, say I have a mod that -%10 chance for opponent to burn, do I need to have a fire type weapon that already have a chance to inflict burning or does the mod actually make all my attacks have 10% chance to inflict burning. Also does the chance for 2ndary effect scale with %converter? So a 70% fire 30% phy will have a higher chance to inflict burning than a 50% fire 50% phy? If so, is there a table to show the rough % chance of 2ndary effects?

So it sounds like it just resets secondaries:) Otherwise say you could inflict a DOT doing 10 units that lasted 100 seconds. Lets say every 10 seconds you reinflicted the DOT.

If it just resets the timer you do your DOT damage until the monster dies.. [sounds like this is what happens]

If it stacks you would have 10 stacking DOTS that would be 10 x the DOT damage per unit time..

If it ADDS to the timer and you inflicted 30 DOTS then you could run away and the DOT would last 3000 seconds (I think poison worked like that in Diablo)..

Llama's actually got info from a dev and has posted somewhere here on this forum, that the dots do stack. I know that my Twisted Torment for my Pure Maggic Dryad stacks, but even champs can't withstand three dots before they die.

:)

gogo

It resets the timer of Open Wounds, so you always do the same DoT damage per unit of time. Timer duration doesn't stack :)

Some poison skills in D2 were indeed working like you describe. Hit a monster and go make a cup of coffee while waiting in town :)

Btw, in case anyone was confused by this topic, Damage Lore does not affect Open Wounds.

I know there are mods that have -% chance to (insert effect), does it work by itself or do I need to have the affect already in place? For example, say I have a mod that -%10 chance for opponent to burn, do I need to have a fire type weapon that already have a chance to inflict burning or does the mod actually make all my attacks have 10% chance to inflict burning.

"Opponent's Chance to Burn/Poison/etc" lowers your chance to inflict the secondary effects on the monsters. Weird huh?

Also does the chance for 2ndary effect scale with %converter? So a 70% fire 30% phy will have a higher chance to inflict burning than a 50% fire 50% phy? If so, is there a table to show the rough % chance of 2ndary effects?

Chance for secondary effect depends on the percentage of that damage, compared to your total damage. If most of your damage is magical, you'll have a high chance to weaken. If you increase only the physical or another type, your chance to weaken will be lowered (as long as you don't increase the magic one as well).

"Opponent's Chance to Burn/Poison/etc" lowers your chance to inflict the secondary effects on the monsters. Weird huh?

Wait wait wait, what? So the mod actually works against you:)!! Ah...then are there mods that INCREASE the chance?

Chance for secondary effect depends on the percentage of that damage, compared to your total damage. If most of your damage is magical, you'll have a high chance to weaken. If you increase only the physical or another type, your chance to weaken will be lowered (as long as you don't increase the magic one as well).

Do you know the rough percentage? Like the % chance for a 50/50 phs/elemental, I sorta need to know to see if taking elemental converter for secondary effects alone is worth it.

Edited by thinkingofaname

Its a bug that there is - chance of burn...(to enemies) it should be a protective gear for you... There is not supposed to be cursed gear other than the armor recharge penalties which is normal.

Looks like the "Opponent's Chance to *elemental effect* -X%" hasn't been added to the Item mods page yet but if it is what I'm thinking then this mod reduces the chance of an enemy inflicting burn/poison/freeze/weaken on the player.

As for the percent chance of a player causing burn/poison/freeze/weaken on an enemy the exact percent is shown to us pc players when looking at our inventory screen when we hover our mouse over the combat art stats box. Not sure where it would be shown for console players. As has been said the the percent chance is based on however much of a percentage your doing of the element. I "think" the percent chance is either 50% of the percentage of your elemental damage or 25%. For example if your weapon is doing 30% fire damage then your chance to inflict burn will be 15%. That needs to be confirmed however and I'm not able to get into the game to check unfortunately...

Looks like the "Opponent's Chance to *elemental effect* -X%" hasn't been added to the Item mods page yet but if it is what I'm thinking then this mod reduces the chance of an enemy inflicting burn/poison/freeze/weaken on the player.

As for the percent chance of a player causing burn/poison/freeze/weaken on an enemy the exact percent is shown to us pc players when looking at our inventory screen when we hover our mouse over the combat art stats box. Not sure where it would be shown for console players. As has been said the the percent chance is based on however much of a percentage your doing of the element. I "think" the percent chance is either 50% of the percentage of your elemental damage or 25%. For example if your weapon is doing 30% fire damage then your chance to inflict burn will be 15%. That needs to be confirmed however and I'm not able to get into the game to check unfortunately...

Thanks that is good to know, I don't see them in the console but I do see the mods that I placed which had +% freeze chance in the detailed overview screen. Now two slightly off topic question. I know that evade % diminish heavily past 50%? or so, but on the overview screen, it always seem to simply add all +% evade mods I have, like 143% for example. Is there a way to see or calculated my "real" evade chance? Another thing I noticed, was dryad ever able to use throwing dagger in the pc version ? The wiki says yes but on the (ps3) console she can not (simply unable like the energy weapons).