Places of Ancaria Project - Now complete!

I was thinking of taking pic's of each cave (on the main map) during gameplay & then sorting out where each one is on a map (to be uploaded) after that. Possibly taking pics of the inside of the caves as well.

I'm, really sorry if I repeat myself again and again, but I can't guess how to sort them out. Maybe it is as easy as giving each cave a name, or just picking its coordinate in the interactive map. What do you think? I really think (again) that we need to identify each cave in a unique way... Do you agree?

Yeah, that would make sense. I was thinking that "normal" caves (ie, those that aren't quest related or special in any way) would get a number (to allow us to link to the cave map), "special" caves would use the quest name or anything else appropriate.

I was thinking of taking pic's of each cave (on the main map) during gameplay & then sorting out where each one is on a map (to be uploaded) after that. Possibly taking pics of the inside of the caves as well.

I'm, really sorry if I repeat myself again and again, but I can't guess how to sort them out. Maybe it is as easy as giving each cave a name, or just picking its coordinate in the interactive map. What do you think? I really think (again) that we need to identify each cave in a unique way... Do you agree?

Yeah, that would make sense. I was thinking that "normal" caves (ie, those that aren't quest related or special in any way) would get a number (to allow us to link to the cave map), "special" caves would use the quest name or anything else appropriate.

Or instead of a number, maybe associate it with a nearby landmark. Would be less confusing to people trying figure out where 'Cave *insert random number* ' is.

Or instead of a number, maybe associate it with a nearby landmark. Would be less confusing to people trying figure out where 'Cave *insert random number* ' is.

Or something, yes.

I had a thought this morning, there's a map of the underground areas made from the images files that someone's put together, I thought that we could probably use that for the images of the caves themselves rather than piece together a number of mini-map shots (assuming the person who put it together doesn't mind). The only problem is, I can't find it. I think Wolfe's Lair had it, but WL's taking an age to load.

Edit: Here's the link directly to the page with the maps I'm talking about: http://wolfes-lair.rpgplanet.gamespy.com/S...-WorldMaps.html

Edit #2: On second thoughts, those maps that Wolfe's got might be too low res for what we need. :oooo:

You've missed one location in Tyr Lysia. The Island the Dryad starts on is named "Gold Island" but the name only shows up on the southernmost tip of the island. (It does on the Xbox360 anyway)

Maps are on the way guys. Just waiting on Maplib to upload/convert them. Seems I'm in a long line of requests though so it's going to take a couple days. The Dungeon Map is relatively complete with the exception of second level Dungeons. I'll see about updating it to include the second level dungeons soon after the Regions of Ancaria are up. One thing that I had left out of the region maps which I'm starting to regret already is that the place names are not on these new maps. Since the region maps have a MUCH higher zoom/resolution I will need to make new place name markers for them which is a bit of work. Not too much but it takes time. Since the maps are all about Places and Quests I think I'll only add the names and leave out the other markers like merchant icons portals etc. In addition to place names I'll add a mini world map that highlights the region being viewed for each region map which will help viewers understand what part of the world they are seeing. Anything else that would be needed on the region maps?

As for naming Dungeons of little significance, not quest related, maybe something like West Griffonborough Dungeon(or Cave), East Griffonborough Dungeon... If north east south west isn't enough you could use North-West Griffonborough Dungeon etc... Using the center of place names as an axis for cardinal points.

@Scout:

Thank you for pointing out Gold Island! I'll be sure to add it to the map. :Just_Cuz_12:

Glad to help.

You've also missed out the Hidden Valley from the Tyr Lysia list. Just Northeast of the Ghosthunter mission.

I'll Scout some more to help.

Oh another one. The more Places the better. :) I've added the Gold Island to the map I'm working on. Can you tell me more about the Hidden Valley Scout? I'm not familiar with the Ghosthunter quest. :D

It's a tiny Valley to the Northwest of Twainbrook. It's at the Spring of the Western Tributary which leads to the Torreya Brook.

There are actually two quests from the Ghosthunter. The First is named "Threat from Beyond" and you need to collect an 'Elixer of Souls' from an Alchemist who lives in the hidden valley. Once collected, back to Ghosthunter and claim reward.

The Second is named "Ghost Hunting" and you need to defeat 7 ghosts. Go back to Ghosthunter when complete and gain reward.

Pretty simple quests these.

Oh, I know what quests you talk about... that is called the Hidden Valley? I never realised; Anyway, I may take some photos tomorrow for the place page... :D

I've added Gold Island and the Hidden Valley to the Places of Ancaria page on the wiki. Can someone create and link them to there own pages as I don't know how to do that :S

EDIT: Don't worry about it, I've created the pages and linked them to there correct places on the map. It just needs Schot to add the names to the map

Edited by Scout

lol, I was gonna say how to do it, but you already figgered it out and put map links in as well :D . You're really helping out with this, I know the group working on places is really going to be happy they've got someone else helping out here.

Good job Scout

:)

gogo

p.s. wiki's, my friend, are...addictive :devil:

lol, I was gonna say how to do it, but you already figgered it out and put map links in as well :D . You're really helping out with this, I know the group working on places is really going to be happy they've got someone else helping out here.

Good job Scout

gogo

p.s. wiki's, my friend, are...addictive :devil:

No problem matey. I'm happy to help. It's lucky I'm a fast learner :)

I've also added the West-Skookemchuck as it was missing and corrected Fortress Reikensteim to Fortress Reikenstein

Just finished off Artamark (with the exception of the East and West Skookemchuck as I don't know where to put it)

I'll get started on Nor Plat later as it's Pimms at Wimbledon time

Nice work guys! The Dungeon map is nearly complete. I needed to do a great deal of aligning on the dungeon map which has taken quite a bit of time. Basically the caves are being placed on top of a translucent world map so that it will be easy to understand where a cave is found in Ancaria. The World tiles don't quite align perfectly with the cave tiles so some caves are not placed exactly over the entry point. For those that I could not align I've drawn white lines connecting world entrances to cave entrances. You'll see, haha. After a bit of talk with Llama I've decided to add in the second level dungeons onto the map rather than my intended first level caves only map. It'll take a bit of extra time but worth it I think.

For cave naming I think using associated quests will be a big help. After we've named caves that are quest caves I think we'll be able to use nearby place names somehow as was mentioned.

As for the Skookemchucks they were a bit tricky for me to place on the old maps when I first came across them. The West and East Skookemchucks are actually the bodies of water themselves. Specifically the inlets of the two rivers. I think what might work well is to add a new heading called Bodies of Water to the Places page so we can put the Oceans, Coasts, Lakes and Rivers there.

New Tyr Lysia maps as well as the Dungeon map are on their way. Once those are done I'll move onto the new Artamark maps which will be broken into Eastern, Central and Western Artmark. These maps I'm working on are the intended maps to link Places to. They'll be much larger than the world map and with that a much better zoom. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I've had a pretty serious computer crash recently, it's made a huge mess.

It's even making this forum go spazzy :blink:

So until I get a new comp, I won't be able to help with the map as I can only get a black screen :woot:

• 1 year later...

This bump is homage to the start of this massive project started years ago with Knuckles taking up the lead and carrying the torch across the finish line just a few days ago. We now have the most beautiful images imaginable of Ancaria.

Take a look at the land!

Places

Places.png

gogo

Bravo Knuckles! I must say it's impressive to see you in action when you put your mind to something. First the Quest Bestiary and now the Places. Zeno would be most pleased as am I! :drinks:

I love threads like this. I'm so glad we killed discussion in the wiki years ago, so we could have days like this, topics like this. When you see all the work and support everyone puts into projects like this, makes you forget all about the lack of yelling and flaming going on here at FDM because we have stuff like this.

I'll see if we can get hold of Zeno and the other contributors to this, one of the most massive projects undertaken on SacredWiki

Come on home everyone, this work is done

gogo