A bunch of questions

Hi, I'm about to start playing Sacred 2, and I've already read LOTS about it, so I'm well prepared :)

Because I don't have much ingame experience, my questions might have been answered if I had played the game for a while, but I'd rather ask the community.

Feel free to answer as many questions as you want, I'm just happy if I achieve some help :)

---------

Where do you guys recommend me to start my character: In the single player campaign, or in the ClosedNet thing? I'm not sure what I want/care the most about: Ascaron's private servers, or player made servers? Is it really worth it to create a character in ClosedNet, that you can't use in OpenNet? What do most people use/do?

I wonder about something related to how the game calculates values in the game.

Lets say that I want to socket a ring with "+2.4 All Skills". Will the game read the new skill values as X + 2.4, or will it "round of" the number to 2 (I'm norwegian, so my english might be bad :P)?

By this I mean: Will the game read values with decimals, eventhough the ingame values shows a "full" number (ex.: game says 9, but in reality it's 9.4)?

Have someone tried to "race" a character with level 200 riding skills versus a player with level 75 riding skills?

What I really want to know is how much the riding skill increases the speed of your mount between riding level 75 and 200? Eventhough level 200 in riding gives a 30 % increase in speed, is it really that much more than riding level 75 with 15 % speed increase?

I read about the "Highest Spell Level Without Penalty", and I now have some questions related to this:

a) How often would you recommend to use a rune to increase a combat art without hitting the penalty spell level? I think that every fourth level would be fine, and then I'm not taking Focus skills into consideration.

b) I read that I should "Try to learn every Level 1 CA for your character (I.e. all 15)". Is there any negative sides by doing this? And another slightly related question: Is it "safe" to use every level 1 rune I find, eventhough I'm at a low level? I won't be getting any penalties by doing so, except the possible money, and other runes that I could have earned by trading the runes I don't want? But I've heard about these item modifiers that requires certain runes to be learned. What are your thoughts on this:) :)

c) If I am stupid, and hit the penalty level/highest spell level when learning a rune (lets say I now have spell level 10.4 in a combat art), will this be "fixed" when I've my character has gained some levels, or will the penalty haunt me forever?

What are the downsides of dying, except losing the survival bonus, and respawning at another place?

I like hair. Actually, I love hair! Is there a way to turn of the visibility of helmets? I want to have the helmet equipped, but I may want it to not be visible.

Do you have any suggestions for what race is the best for a bargaining character? ;) Hehe, it probably doesn't matter. Because of my lack of experience with this game, I know that my first-ever character will be my least "best". Therefore I'm planning to make him/her my "chest slave" ;)

To do this I really would like some suggestions from you guys!

What other skills and stuff should I be focusing on with my first character? Is Enhanced Perception really any good:) And what kind of race should my character be (I'm considering Shadow Warrior, because he seems to be an "easy-starter")?

I want this character to end up as a good slave character, who will feed my upcoming, more serious builds. :)

Thanks in advance for any help!

1. Played always closed net never single play so I would say go with multiplay noting you can do there that you cant do in SP.

2. There is no such thing as 2.4 or any of the sort rings or amulets in game the are all round numbers.

3. Never heard of something like that. Who knows one day you can make a project out of it could be fun.

4. a. You will read tons about this my experiance would say go with the flow. There is no real rule so best thing is for you to do is what feels right as the CA damage and cast time allows it. Also why socket +CA when you can get that + with runes.

4. b. Never heard of this read all runes for your toon. I sure havnt read the Ice runes for my HE and havnt found and problem with it and I know people that have them all read and they have no problems with that. Also dont sell your runes you can save them for later thats what everyone does selling them is a huge waste.

5. Nothing else for SC(soft core). But we dont play SC we play HC(hard core) and in HC when you die you are dead no re spawning. Its the end of the toon. Thats the way we all play thats one of the greatest appeals of this game for us.

6. Not sure there are game mods that allow this and there are different types of helms. The HE for one has a ring type crown so the hear is shown.

7. Hmm what to start well if you go with a mix up then it would be good to make a TG. He can have both forge and barg. so you will kill 2 birds with one stone. EP is good helps finding stuff not bad thing to have around when you are starting up but in HC you will get a lot of stuff from people so you wont be losing much if you chose to play HC.

I will recommend making a level 2 trader specially if you start playing HC. This way he can shop for you no matter how many other play toons you lose and he can be your first mule as well.

2. There is no such thing as 2.4 or any of the sort rings or amulets in game the are all round numbers.

That's not quite true, some mods (inc all skills) are treated as decimals despite being displayed as integers, this is why you can socket a ring with +2 all skills (example) & you get +3 on the item. The only explaination for this is if the ring is actually +2.x & the socketting bonus takes it over the rounding-down limit & it gets rounded up to 3 (eg, 2.4 +7% -> 2.56. which would be rounded up to 3).

4. a. You will read tons about this my experiance would say go with the flow. There is no real rule so best thing is for you to do is what feels right as the CA damage and cast time allows it. Also why socket +CA when you can get that + with runes.

Because socketting +CA (or runes, or whatever) gives you less regen penalty than "using/eating" a rune (though you probably knew that).

4. b. Never heard of this read all runes for your toon. I sure havnt read the Ice runes for my HE and havnt found and problem with it and I know people that have them all read and they have no problems with that. Also dont sell your runes you can save them for later thats what everyone does selling them is a huge waste.

It allows for flexibility, letting you see what all of your CAs do. It's useful for a new class or a new player until you know what you want.

6. Not sure there are game mods that allow this and there are different types of helms. The HE for one has a ring type crown so the hear is shown.

If you're going to mod your game, make sure you take a backup of anything that you change, so that when there's a new patch you can replace the file & apply the patch, since the patches won't be applied if you've got a modded game.

7. Hmm what to start well if you go with a mix up then it would be good to make a TG. He can have both forge and barg. so you will kill 2 birds with one stone. EP is good helps finding stuff not bad thing to have around when you are starting up but in HC you will get a lot of stuff from people so you wont be losing much if you chose to play HC.

I will recommend making a level 2 trader specially if you start playing HC. This way he can shop for you no matter how many other play toons you lose and he can be your first mule as well.

A High Elf is a good trader, since she get's Bargaining as a "first tier" skill & she can do quite a lot of damage. The TG's more of an advanced class, so I'd probably get a handle on the game mechanics before starting a TG.

Great questions, and some excellent answers for you by the community g0ry!

I would just throw one extra small thing in. Consider creating as one of your first toons a maxed Bargaining level two HE. You can use that HE to buy all your equipment for your other toons and will make your rise to level twenty much easier.

Good luck with your game!

:gun2:

gogo

Because socketting +CA (or runes, or whatever) gives you less regen penalty than "using/eating" a rune (though you probably knew that).

I know that wasnt born yesterday. What I said differs from what your take is. The reason for this is that CA can be covered by runes thats all I said. Why because in a game where sockets are limited I would rather add something else that I cant get any other way then add +CA stuff in them. And as for regen time going up faster will you have a hold suport system for all toons to take care of that. Starting from Skills, attributes and gear. So in a world where sockets are limited thing in my opinion the better way to go is with runes. Thats why in gold and up 99.9% of the people will socket +skill stuff and not +CA stuff.

It allows for flexibility, letting you see what all of your CAs do. It's useful for a new class or a new player until you know what you want.

Know that as well was answering his question for side effects by reading all or not reading all.

depends if you want to see some other people. If you don't then play single player since there is extra class quests. And you can have 100 characters. Online closed you may only have 6. I enjoy the company though of multiplayer.

I always thought the socketing was because the sockets were multiplying the number. so your +4 skills ring in a gold socket multiplies to 5... Llamas way could be right too though. In any case you don't see 2.4 on the mouse over display.

a) How often would you recommend to use a rune to increase a combat art without hitting the penalty spell level? I think that every fourth level would be fine, and then I'm not taking Focus skills into consideration.

You can hover your mouse over the focus even if its not chosen yet (grayed out) and it will tell you the level without penalty. It goes up I think at level 200 it is 50 without focus. Some spells eat lots of runes and some eat 1. You'll learn but you'll have to be more specific to get an answer on that.

b) I read that I should "Try to learn every Level 1 CA for your character (I.e. all 15)". Is there any negative sides by doing this? And another slightly related question: Is it "safe" to use every level 1 rune I find, eventhough I'm at a low level? I won't be getting any penalties by doing so, except the possible money, and other runes that I could have earned by trading the runes I don't want? But I've heard about these item modifiers that requires certain runes to be learned. What are your thoughts on this:) 1smile.gif

theres no penalty other than losing the rune. I might eat a soul reaver rune early in the game because its great against mobs even if I never use the buff later on. (inquisitor) High elf I might eat a blazing tempest rune to help my ice elf damage against skeletons the first few levels or something, but my new ice HE is not eating fire runes because it is possible to kill skeletons other ways. It doesn't matter too much if you eat a rune or not because they keep dropping forever. Now it matters if you eat too many of something you want to use.

c) If I am stupid, and hit the penalty level/highest spell level when learning a rune (lets say I now have spell level 10.4 in a combat art), will this be "fixed" when I've my character has gained some levels, or will the penalty haunt me forever?

as you level you will catch up. I eat dashing alacrity runes on my seraphim above the level with penalty because of the cooldown it doesn't really make much difference what the recharge is. Within reason I don't eat 30 runes above the level just 5. And I will catch up later. Grand invigoration has no penalty at all for eating runes other than losing the rune that could use on another character. You could eat a million GI runes with no disadvantage.

What are the downsides of dying, except losing the survival bonus, and respawning at another place?

Those are the disadvantages of softcore death. Hardcore you lose the character. I like softcore because I only want to lose my character (delete) when it is not fun anymore. I play the game to relax not for adrenaline.

Shadow Warrior with lots of tactics lore and both Grim Resilience and Reflective Emmanation is good first character. Take blacksmith and he'll help your later characters if you want to smith them some good stuff.

Seraphim with Exalted Warrior focus and gear that raises Battle stance (gear because less recharge penalty) using pelting strikes is a good first character melee. She can take bargain and help out later toons. Save jewelry at each level in your chest for later characters (each 10 levels).

If you don't want melee just try anything softcore. Temple guardian, whatever. You might make some characters that don't work but we have a saying that "you have to break some eggs to make an omelette"..