Confused About Stamina?

Hi there,

Usually when I have to put a single skill point in I tend to go for dexterity for the slight attack upgrade and better defense but noticed that stamina is supposed to bring regen times down for all Combat Arts. The one thing I don't understand is that the regen times seems to go up so obviously I haven't gained an understanding to how it's supposed to work. Currently my Shadow Warrior is level 42 with the stamina around 156 with a regen time of 366%. I'm having to put all my other skill points into Death Warrior Focus just to bring it down to the level it was before levelling up. Usually my Death Warrior Focus is around 3.6 seconds, not bad, I can live with it but when I level up it goes up to around 4.8 seconds with the points automatically going into all the skills. So what am I doing wrong? I don't want to keep putting all my skill pointsa into my focus because I really need to upgrade my Tactics Lore. I have eaten 14 runes for Demonic Blow which I know puts your regen time up but surely if putting the single point into stamina should make it go down?

Please help a desperate Shadow Warrior!

Cheers!

The regen time does go down when you put points in Stamina/Focus, the only time it would go up is if your CA level is above the "max limit" for your Focus skill. In that situation, increasing your Focus skill will increase the "max level" which increases the level of your CA (which increases your regen).

For example, If you have level 10 Focus & that's giving you a CA "max" level of 6, but you've used 10 runes, you might have a CA level of 8.5. If you then put a point into the Focus skill, it would increase the "max" level to 7, which, due to your 10 used runes, would work out to a "real" CA level of 9 (all numbers plucked out of thin air). Once your Focus skill level is high enough that you're getting 1 level of CA from each rune used (ie, your Focus skill is giving you a "max" CA level of 10), your regens will start dropping again with further points in your Focus skill.

Essentially, you've used "too many" runes for your level of Focus skill & are getting "punished" by the game for it, but it'll all work itself out in the end.

I suspect that the answer to your issue is simple enough.

With 14 runes read in Demonic Blow you'll have a decently high regeneration time, particularly for a skill that you want to spam quite fast. If you have any +Combat Art gear it will be all the higher. Since I don't know for certain I'm suspecting that the reason the regen time is jumping up is because your CA level is higher than the max available for it at the moment (So it would say 20.3 for example). In this case, when you level up the CA level will also increase, increasing the regen times.

The 366% you see from Stamina is actually 366% faster regeneration in a sense. At 100% it regenerates at the exact time that would be listed in the data files, at 200% it regenerates in half the time, at 300% 1/3 etc etc.

The regen time does go down when you put points in Stamina/Focus, the only time it would go up is if your CA level is above the "max limit" for your Focus skill. In that situation, increasing your Focus skill will increase the "max level" which increases the level of your CA (which increases your regen).

For example, If you have level 10 Focus & that's giving you a CA "max" level of 6, but you've used 10 runes, you might have a CA level of 8.5. If you then put a point into the Focus skill, it would increase the "max" level to 7, which, due to your 10 used runes, would work out to a "real" CA level of 9 (all numbers plucked out of thin air). Once your Focus skill level is high enough that you're getting 1 level of CA from each rune used (ie, your Focus skill is giving you a "max" CA level of 10), your regens will start dropping again with further points in your Focus skill.

Essentially, you've used "too many" runes for your level of Focus skill & are getting "punished" by the game for it, but it'll all work itself out in the end.

Ah I see, that makes perfect sense Llama! So what I need to do is keep putting points into the focus skill to put it at the same level as Demonic Blow is with all the runes I keep taking.

I think I can see where I've messed up. At the start of the game I was eating EVERY rune I could find so my M Champion is ridiculously high. Think I'll have to buy the focus skill for all of the Combat Arts I've got to make it go down. I really wish I knew then what I know now! Silly old me. I can see why it tells oyu in the instruction manual not to use all the Combat Arts and better to concentrate on one or two out of each tree.

Cheers Llama thats a really big help to me and my Shadow Warrior.

I suspect that the answer to your issue is simple enough.

With 14 runes read in Demonic Blow you'll have a decently high regeneration time, particularly for a skill that you want to spam quite fast. If you have any +Combat Art gear it will be all the higher. Since I don't know for certain I'm suspecting that the reason the regen time is jumping up is because your CA level is higher than the max available for it at the moment (So it would say 20.3 for example). In this case, when you level up the CA level will also increase, increasing the regen times.

The 366% you see from Stamina is actually 366% faster regeneration in a sense. At 100% it regenerates at the exact time that would be listed in the data files, at 200% it regenerates in half the time, at 300% 1/3 etc etc.

Oh I see Zinsho, I was under the assumption that the regen times would be 366% HIGHER not lower. Yes that does make sense. Thanks alot Zinsho. Just goes to show you learn something new everyday with Sacred 2!

Cheers

It's worth using 1 rune for all CAs, that way you can see what ones you might want to use you won't be penalised for it. Then for CAs that you want to use going forward, make sure you balance the effectiveness & the regen time. Eating as many runes for the CAs that you want to use will end up with them being very "effective" (ie, high damage), but with very long regen times, so you won't be able to use them much.

It is quite okay to keep your Combat Arts at level 1 untill you reach about character level 30-50, depending on your build.

Standard tactics is to pump your buff's by eating runes as often as you can while balancing the effect they give to your Combat Arts regen times. :D

Yeah, My seraphim Is Level 41 Or 43, Cant Quite Remember, And My Two Best Combat Arts Atm (Hallowed Restoration/Demonic Blow) Are Only Level One, ANd They Both Have About .7-1.1 Regen Time, With Focus. (Or Lore, Can Never Remember Which Decreases Regen Time =P)

So, its Better TO Be Able To Spam Those, Then Wait Like 7.2 Seconds.

Thank you to all who have written, I have learnt so much just from this topic. The reason why I was eating so many runes for Demonic Blow for example was purely for the damage. I thought if I didn't keep eating runes, the CA would be worthless in the long run but now I can see if you can use it more often I.e every second, then the damage is not so important.

I'm pleased to report my regen times are actually going DOWN now thanks to all of you for showing me the way! My Demonic Blow was 3.6 seconds but now I've got it down to 2.5 seconds and when I level up now it doesn't go any higher, great!

My Skeleton Warriors want to thank you all for allowing them to stay on the battlefield for longer and can now join me whenever they like. They do get lonely you know :P

Edited by philr1

Hello,

I'm still pretty new at this as well but I was wondering. It makes sense that you want gear with - to Regen Penalty instead of + but on the equipment screen with my HE and my regen sits at 93% and I think she regens quickly.

Do I want that higher or lower? Because I have a SW and his regen sits at 123% and he regens slower.

Also, when filing bronze slots does +1.5 to Crit and -7 to Regen Time make you regen faster or slower?

I understand the concepts behind all of this just not the execution.

Please help

You can't really compare two classes with regards to stamina factor vs. regeneration times.

Every CA has a different regeneration time (or at least each is an independent variable, even if two have the same values to plug in) and each class has a different playstyle. You can't really compare a caster to a melee warrior, melee CAs always have a slightly longer time to start out because they enhance weapon damage whereas caster CAs work entirely based on the timer itself.

Also you have to compare what level both are at. If the SW has a level 10 CA vs a level 4 CA on your HE, then it's a very different value that it's regenerating based on.

As to the blacksmith arts, the -7% Regen will make things go faster.

Not really worried about the Combat Arts I understand those. Leave them low for the time being until you get better regen times in that aspect.

I'm still wondering about the Regeneration Bar on the Inventory screen.

Do I want that low or high?

Because I have a lot of - regen penalty gear and the -7 and my Regeneration Bar goes down to 93% but so does that mean I regen 7% faster as opposed to the normal 100%?

Basically I'm wondering if I get to 50% am I regening twice as fast. Or do I want it at 200% to regen twice as fast.

Thanks

Not really worried about the Combat Arts I understand those. Leave them low for the time being until you get better regen times in that aspect.

I'm still wondering about the Regeneration Bar on the Inventory screen.

Do I want that low or high?

Because I have a lot of - regen penalty gear and the -7 and my Regeneration Bar goes down to 93% but so does that mean I regen 7% faster as opposed to the normal 100%?

Basically I'm wondering if I get to 50% am I regening twice as fast. Or do I want it at 200% to regen twice as fast.

Thanks

You want that to go lower, not higher. So if you were at 200%, your CA regen times would be twice as long

Towers229 I can totally understand your confusion when it comes to regen times because as you can see I've had the same problems myself. I just couldn't understand how regen times could go down when I could clearly see the % going higher in stamina. I think the reason for these problems is the lack of consistency. In stamina you want the % to be higher to make your regen times lower. In the inventory screen you want it to be as low as possible for the same results. It would be far easier to understand if everything was either lower or higher across the board.

What the others have said has been a big help to me though so don't be afraid of asking anything Towers. My Shadow Warrior regen times for Demonic Blow are so low I can use it virtually constantly which is a massive help.

Let us know how you get on!