Mozilla Firefox versus Google Chrome

cyclops

Hello guys some help here. I am currently using Firefox and have been satisfied with it's performance. My uncle got hold of a downloader for Google Chrome and said it's even faster than Firefox. Have you guys used this browser? What are the pros and cons? I want to know before changing my browser if ever? Thanks

Hello guys some help here. I am currently using Firefox and have been satisfied with it's performance. My uncle got hold of a downloader for Google Chrome and said it's even faster than Firefox. Have you guys used this browser? What are the pros and cons? I want to know before changing my browser if ever? Thanks

I really like Chrome a great deal. It is a very fast browser initial load of time is superior to Firefox (Even more so if you have many plugins) And page for page loading is the same as to be no real difference from what I have read. However it is a very clean streamlined no nonsense without any loss of functionality. I am sure someone can link you into actual millisecond load time differences but, they are close enough to come down to preference of use. It does not break Firefox to load Chrome onto your computer as well and even setting Chrome as your default browser can be changed with ease and if you find you don't like it..ditch it and there is no harm done to anything.

I really like Chrome a great deal. It is a very fast browser initial load of time is superior to Firefox (Even more so if you have many plugins) And page for page loading is the same as to be no real difference from what I have read. However it is a very clean streamlined no nonsense without any loss of functionality. I am sure someone can link you into actual millisecond load time differences but, they are close enough to come down to preference of use. It does not break Firefox to load Chrome onto your computer as well and even setting Chrome as your default browser can be changed with ease and if you find you don't like it..ditch it and there is no harm done to anything.

Ok I just downloaded it and yes the initial load time is substantially faster than Firefox. But am getting a bit cross-eyed with it's minimalist appearance. Can the "other bookmarks" tab be moved somewhere to the left or center because am not used to getting bookmarks from the rightmost side?

Chrome:

+ opens fast

+ loads pages fast

+ uses separate processes for tabs (hence a freeze/crash is limited to 1 tab)

- has some quirks with some pages, pages with certificates among others are harder to get working

- some things don't work as they do in FF or IE, because of WebKit (the engine, also used in Safari)

Just try it. Like GunKata said, there's nothing that will happen to FF if you install it on your pc. :woot:

EDIT: yeah that's another point. It's very minimal, and you can't change much in the appearance. Whether that's a pro or a con depends. :blink:

Edited by Timotheus

Ok I just downloaded it and yes the initial load time is substantially faster than Firefox. But am getting a bit cross-eyed with it's minimalist appearance. Can the "other bookmarks" tab be moved somewhere to the left or center because am not used to getting bookmarks from the rightmost side?

You CAN make book marks on the left...uhm open the bookmark manager it is under the wrench icon and then move the bookmarks to the section called Bookmarks BAR. You can actually set up multiple folders across the top this way..I have found it works really well for the research I do cause I can put the folders there I am working on and then change them as the new subject group comes up.

On a side note I have gotten 140 tabs open in Chrome and closed it and opened it again and it handled it without any problems.

had Chrome on my comp for 10 min I think Before I uninstalled it and kept on using Firefox :blink:

the best thing about ff is in my eyes the addons (my tools)

firefox.gif

had Chrome on my comp for 10 min I think Before I uninstalled it and kept on using Firefox :woot:

the best thing about ff is in my eyes the addons (my tools)

firefox.gif

Same here, I rly love the speed dial plugin (cfr. Opera and later Chrome) for FF, I wouldn't know what to do without it :blink:

cheers!

Chareos Rantras

I tried Chrome very briefly when it first came out... didn't see much appeal to it (my computer is already quite fast regardless)

Currently I'm using Opera, and to be honest I prefer it over FFox right now.

Things I liked on FFox:

* Mouse Gestures (via plugin)

* Speed Dial, when I remembered to download it

* AdBlock etc

Now as to Opera:

* Mouse Gestures built in by default

* Speed Dial as default Home Page

* Keyboard shortcuts for browsing etc (including spacial browsing of links rather than tabbing all over the place)

* Built in Mail Client (Yes I know there's similar)

* Built in IRC and Bit Torrent Clients (don't use them as much but if ever I need them fast...) (I know there's Chatzilla, but this is without plugins)

* Adblock etc

Now the added benefits I've found:

* UserCSS and UserJS, can override or supplement any CSS and JavaScript on a page, allowing you to customize what you see. (Work blocks Photobucket, so this forum was Black text on a black background most of the time)

* Notes in panel view, I'm sure FFox had this somewhere too

* MAJOR: Bookmark, typed History and Note Synchronization. I get home I have all the stuff from today at work, and vice versa. I don't need to try to remember, I just bookmark/note it and it's there.

* Widgets... both good and bad, but there are some fun ones.

* Tabs are full ages within the browser window. You can tile/stack/cascade/resize each tab, force one to hover on top etc etc etc. With a huge monitor that means you can have multiple tabs open and see them all at once. (Not to mention you can 'lock' one tab so that every link you click on it opens in a second tab, speeding navigation up on badly setup sites)

There are other features too, but you have to note, this is without any sort of plugins.

I don't know if you guys noticed it but when using chrome the band width usage is substancially smaller compared to firefox. This would be very advantageous for me because usage here in Australia internet is not unlimited. Usually the biggest usage allowance is 25 GB at full ASDL/ASDL 2 speed. Yesterday I was at the internet for more than half a day and I used only 120 MB. I would reach that figure after a few hours using firebox opening the same websites (darkmatters, yahoo, msn, facebook)

Edited by cyclops

The only way that would make sense as far as being less usage is if it's set to use cached images by default for anywhere, rather than load images from source. Of course part of that might be how you had your refresh options set. (Because an image is still an image, if it's 500k it's that much bandwidth no matter what you do).

So that is a very odd statistic.

Maybe Chrome has some magical more efficient way of interpreting the information..like Pigeons..from Space.

On a serious note perhaps Chrome is simply blocking more ads perhaps then Firefox was.

Maybe Chrome has some magical more efficient way of interpreting the information..like Pigeons..from Space.

On a serious note perhaps Chrome is simply blocking more ads perhaps then Firefox was.

now that you mentioned it I think that could be the reason because I did notice that the "ads box" especially in yahoo is usually empty.

• 3 months later...

I have been using Chromes exclusively since it came out. I actually prefer the simply and minimal windows. I like the easy to modify bookmarks. I have folders in my bookmark bar for FDM/Wiki shortcuts, my banks sites, etc. so they are in easy drop down boxes. very fast compared to FF and IE I think because no adds or popup no activex. Lots of crap imbedded in web sites these days that honestly we don't need most of the time.